Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum & so excited to get input. Our gorgeous pup Einy (short for "Einstein" as in "Baby Einstein" - I have 2 toddlers!) - is nearly 7 months old. We are doing "clicker" training with him & he is progressing nicely. That said, he IS a puppy & a boisterous one at that ... when he was younger (and smaller) this was not such an issue, but now that he is over 50 pounds (!) and growing, he is the equivalent of a small horse charging at my 2 & 3 year old daughters. We expect him to be around 90 pounds when fully grown. They love him, but are scared to be around him because he knocks them over so easily.

We are not at a point at which he will remain in a "down stay" for too long, and I don't think it's fair to make him stay down while around the girls, but I don't know what else to do. Einy is much calmer when he is just around me - I think he gets excited around the girls because they are always playing & he wants to join in.

Sorry for the looong introduction to my question: Does anyone have any tips/advice/anecdotes for how to acclimate our wild pup around my small, ultra girly-girls??

Many thanks!

Jen :arrow: :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi Jen

Welcome - look forward to pics of Einy!

Don't know what to tell you about him being excited around your little ones - they are around his level and I'm sure he looks at them as part of his little pack, therefore playmates.

I'd say consistancy in saying NO when he charges them would be a good start
I'd also take him out on a leash when the little ones are out and "let" him go to them slowly and at your pace and to sit when he gets to them

Good luck !

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
What you have is a very social, excited pup that hasn't yet learned restraint. What it wants is attention... so it might help to impress upon it that when it approaches nicely it gets pet and loved on... when it charges, it doesn't.
The thing that gets my lab ladies attention quiskest when working on their over excitement is to totally turn my back on them and walk away when they act nutsy. They've learned that if they're jumping and acting wild I want nothing to do with them. Once they settle down and approach me sensibly, they get all the love and affection they so crave. They learn to do what gets them the reaction they want.

I'm having good success using this technique with 2 five yr old purebred labs that are quite excited and hyper and obviously haven't been worked with like they should have been. I've had them only about a month and can already see a lot of improvement in this. It just takes consistency and time. It should work even better for you with a younger lone dog.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi there and Welcome

Maybe you can have your puppy on leash and
bring him to the kids that way. You can control him better
and have him sit when he is near them. I know it is not possible to do all
the time but it is good training for when puppy is older and he will
learn to either sit or lie down and to be gentle when smaller creatures are
around. When ever Denver meets little children or small dogs now
I just mention the word cat and gentle and he knows to be careful.
He either lies down or sits until the child or smaller dog comes up to him first.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi - Welcome.

My son was three when we got our doodle. Our breeder steered us to this great book - Raising Puppies and Kids Together it has a wealth of information about your situation. Getting the kids involved with any sort of training will help establish them as more than just "littermates" to your puppy. The book had some great games in it that even your youngest should be able to do. Also - be sure to click and treat often when he is interacting appropriately with your children.

Heather

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi there! It sounds like Einy really wants to play hard w/ your girls, so it might help if you get him tired out before you get them together. Is there a dog park nearby or other dogs in your neighborhood that he could play with?? I know that Dan can be running around like crazy, but after a trip to the dog park he is the sweetest, most mellow little guy. Your girls might feel more comfortable spending time with an exhausted Einy, and he might realize that they are not just 2-legged play mates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANKS for all of your kind comments & advice! I look forward to picking your brains on the many, MANY other questions I have in raising our Einy. he is SUCH a fantastic dog with the most charasmatic person;aity - I just want to harness his energy a bit without breaking his spirit!

I will DEFINIETLY try leaving his leash on in the house with the girls! I alos need to work on "training" my children on proper dog ettiquette - i.e., it's not fair to leave their toys out everywhere & get upset when Einy thinks they're for him (BONUS! a cleaner home!!!!).

THANK YOU ALL for the fantastic words of encouragement! I look forward to getting to know the users of this forum of this amazing breed!

PS Not so sure on posting a photo of Einy - as a male "teen" pup, he tends to be a bit "happy to see me" in most photos - more on THAT issue later!!! :roll: Plus, he is all black & tends to "blend" in photos as well. Things to work on!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Jen, welcome to you and Enie...we named one of our girl pups Einstein too...she was a smart one! (Plus her hair resembled his!)
You have some great suggestions here. I might add a few more...
Of course, never leave your children unsupervised with the dog until they are old enough.
I have found it very good to tether the pup to an adult whenever it is out of the crate. That way you correct bad behavior and reward good behavior immediately and they can't sneak off and do something you don't know about.
Don't let your children have the dog chase them...ever. Don't let them play tug of war with him. Always protect your puppy from childhoood roughness too because if your pup feels hat you will protect him, he will have no need to growl or bite to protect himself.
Don't let your children in the crate with him. This should be his safe place. Soemwheere he can go when he wants to be left alone.
When the kids are on the floor, they are at the dog's level and for some freason the dog thinks they are wanting to play like puppies and they cand easily get overwhelmed.
Teach "settle" command early on, and "leave it" (which can be used for going up to kids too.)
Make sure everyone is using the same command and don't give commands you can't enforce.
Here is a nice link about kids and dogs: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2229
Good luck!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI Jen..nice to meet you and Einy sounds like a cute doodle pup, cant wait to see pics later on.

Iguess the only thing i'd add is making Einy do two things.

1. Sit at your feet facing away from you making him "sit" still not paying attention to anyone in your house for 10 min. Just sit from behind Einy, stroking his head, back etc saying Good Einy, Good sit (or settle).

2. like the others i'd tether Einy to me and if he still got too wild a time out in his crate for 10 or 15min. Another is make him lie down on the floor for 30min ...you are there on the floor too with him making sure Einy does NOT get up, even if you have to lean over him to make him stay, And if he falls asleep then wake him up after the 30 min saying Good EINY Good ...it does work no matter how silly it sounds

3. lastly, Einy can be taught what toys are HIS and which aren't ...it just takes about 100 times a day handing him HIS toy every time go for your toddlers toys.

4. Teach your kids to say NO real loud and walk not run away. i don't know how old your toddlers are so this might not work.

They say you have to say something 4000 times before a child commits it to memory....now if it's a doodle puppy, well i think you get the drift hahahahaaa

hang in there Jen as you have your hands full of love, energy, laughter and training ....put it this way ,
NEVER A DULL MOMENT to be had in your household

1 - 12 of 12 Posts