Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Casey started acting weird Saturday morning. When he would sit or just stand he would favor his right paw by lifting it up a little (like he was going to shake with you). He didn't do this every time, but probably 80% of the time. I kept my eye on him and he didn't seem to have a limp and even was running around outside. [No one in the family remembers Casey hurting his leg at all either]. My husband and I looked over his leg and paw and didn't really think there was anything wrong. So Sunday comes around and Casey seems to be limping just a little bit once in a while. So my husband and I again look his leg over squeezing here and there to see if he reacts at all and he doesn't seem to be in any noticeable pain. We checked out the pads on his paws and nothing seems to be wrong there either. I am just wondering if any one has come across something like this before. It seems so strange that he doesn't seem to be in pain, but is favoring the paw and now seems to have a little bit of a limp. My husband is planning to bring him in early this afternoon. But I am just wondering if anyone could shed some light on it before then. Thank you in advance for any comments/suggestions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We had a dog that use to get small sticks, thorns, and other crap stuck between his pads. He would limp around and we always thought something was wrong with his legs. Then my mom made him lay down and she checked between his pads and she would find something there. Sometimes it wasnt aslways visible, she would really have to look around and spread the toes apart to see. So maybe just look again and see if you notice anything.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
If he is showing any sign of weakness (and he is) take him to the vet. Dogs will not show weakness or pain because it makes them vulnerable in the wild...so when they do, there is usually some reason...and often a broken bone or elbow/hip problems...so I would much rather pay for a vet to say "Nothing wrong" than to let the dog suffer with something that you can help with...
Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice. I am bringing Casey to the vet as soon as I get home. My husband clean up around his pads today and notice three little holes on one pad. So maybe (hopefully) its just a matter of a splinter and that is it. But I am going to take him to the vet myself just to make sure. I will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh...good! I know that it will cost money and it all adds up...but I am so happy that you are taking him in...hope everything is okay!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I took Casey in and the vet didn't find anything on physicial examination. Didn't think there was a break or sprain. They did notice that he had a couple of cuts on the quick of one of his toenails. The vet thought he might have been digging and maybe cut it on something and that could be the cause of his soreness. We are suppose to check back in a week and if it hasn't gotten better they will do some x-rays or obviously if it gets worse we will bring him in sooner. Otherwise for now they just gave him a shot for pain and inflamation and put him on Rimadyl twice a day. So we are crossing our fingers that it is just the cuts on the quick. On another note...I wish dogs could talk!! But they don't so we will just keep our eye on him and hopefully he will be better soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts