Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess some of you have hunting doodles, curious what everyone hunts with them, also what type of training has been in place...flush, retr, and point? Just Curious. I have 1 yr, 8mth and have been working with him for 1 yr now, not the most traditional breed within field training, but was wondering what everyone that hunts one, or just has opinions, thinks...Also if anyone has any resources on hunting doodles

Raleigh Retrieving Quail...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Shhhh don't tell anybody a friend sent me two pheasant wings to train with :wink: Abby is VERY birdy :D I don't plan on hunting her. Key word here is 'plan' :lol: I do still have my Old Parker Double in the closet in case the world blows up and the supermarkets close :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I live in the Delta...duck hunting country! Our Shelby and Lea are excellent retrievers! My husband is a big duck hunter (he hunts everything!) they love it. Never seen them point though :?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
annabelles mom said:
Linz81 said:
Never seen them point though :?
Annabelle points when she sees a bird, rabbit or squirrel
And Miko stands at attention when on squirrel patrol!! :lol:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Napa will point when he's playing fetch. It's the funnest thing in the world. I'm thinking about trying to find a place to partake in some field exercise. The only problem is that Napa's so small (only 30 lbs).

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Napathedoodle said:
Napa will point when he's playing fetch. It's the funnest thing in the world. I'm thinking about trying to find a place to partake in some field exercise. The only problem is that Napa's so small (only 30 lbs).
Take him to one of the many game refuges where dogs get a lot of exposure to habitat and their inhabitants...m

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Found out after the fact that Tuesday has field champion lines in her. Explained all of her pointing and flushing out of the bushes.
I know she'd make a great hunting dog, but we don't hunt. I have given her deer horns since she was little,(from my older son who does hunt).
She goes crazy...we fetch with them and play "hide & seek" with them. The reason I did this was because I read a great article about a man that takes his dogs out to hunt for deer horns, horns that the deer shed and the horns left after the mountian lions are done with them. I guess that they can draw a good price & I live in an area loaded with deer.
I have yet to go out and test her in the prime deer horn areas as I was recently informed that there were also lots of mountian lions lurking in the brush. :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon is not a hunter. She really can't find anything with her nose, unless it's under her nose. I don't know if she would be a good retriever if she needs her nose to find a bird in the brush. My last dog could track an animal on it's exact path through the yard. Cinnamon can't even tell if there was an animal in the yard unless she sees it.

DH used to hunt small game & deer, but not since we moved out of our home state.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank yall much for the replies, Raliegh has been flushing birds on command (after brothers brittany points them), And he is retrieving them, also flushing wild pheasant...I am amazed by the intelligence of these dogs...I was always critical of the "designer dog" but then my x-girlfriend surprised me with one for x-mas...He has been the greatest dog ever, has it all....It was her or the dog, I choose the dog..(long story)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
PanamaCamel said:
Who is Virgel???
I posted earlier about Virgil Cox:
Virgil is a bird-hunting doodle breeder, at www.outwestdoodles.com cuz he is training and using his Doodles for pointing and lots of pheasant/bird hunting and he not only has puppies but he also has trained several for hunting so there might be some comeraderie there. You might enjoy chatting with him about hunting doodles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts