Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I hope all of you can give me some insight into CoCo's recent behaviour. CoCo has never been much of a food pooch. He eats his food when he's hungry and I have to really make the food enticing for him to eat regularly. Recently, he seems to be hungry all the time. No matter how much food I put down for him, it's gone. If he doesn't finish the food at one shot, he'll go back from time to time and finish it. CoCo is about 1 year and 8 months old and this is the first time (over a period of 4 days) that he's been doing this. Is it normal for their appetite to change? Could something be wrong? He's also drinking more water than he normally does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
Don't want to scare you, these are rare conditions, except for worms...
APPETITE INCREASED

Additional Information:
The American Veterinary Medical Foundation
Dog Owner's Guide

Symptoms:

It is perfectly normal for a healthy dog to have an increased appetite during cold weather, increased activity, pregnancy and lactation.

But an increased appetite can also indicate the onset of diabetes or hyperthyroidism (rare in dogs). Warning signs for these diseases include: increased urination and water intake, weight loss (despite a markedly increased appetite), depression and vomiting (in the late stages of diabetes). If your dog has any of these symptoms...See Vet: Make appointment

Older dogs which have an increased appetite, water intake, urination and symmetrical hair loss may have a problem with over activity of the adrenal gland (Cushing's Syndrome)...See Vet: Make appointment Certain worms or other intestinal parasites can cause an increased or decreased appetite. Periodic stool testing will help you to determine if your dog has parasites.
Treatment:

At the Vet: Since many diseases, including diabetes, can cause an increase in appetite, your vet will need to conduct a blood test, fecal exam, and urinalysis.
A dog diagnosed with diabetes has a very good chance of living a normal life. You will need to administer injections of insulin, regulate his diet and test urine sugar levels. Strictly maintaining a schedule of injections, diet, testing and exercise is the key to keeping the disease under control.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts