Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does nuetering help with this problem? My dog seems to always want to hump with any attention whatsoever now. I have a toddler and when he tries to play with the dog, the dog automatically starts trying to bite and hump. Its not biting to hurt, its the love bite that he starts when getting into position to do the deed. I have tried over and over reprimanding the behavior to no avail. I have no interest in breeding, and he will be ready for the snip snip this month. Will it help?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Neutering MAY help, but often the humping is not a sexual advance, but a show of dominance. Whatever the reason, you are certainly correct in wanting to stop the behavior toward your child. If it was just dogs doing this, I wouldn't worry...and I still don't think it is anything more than a dominance thing...he probably sees your child as a littermate.
Still, it is a behavior that requires training...only I suggest that first you just try to not overreact when you see it, and simply redirect the dog's attention.
I think that sometimes when you make a big deal out of this type of behavior, the dog learns that he can get attention by doing this...and will continue to...
Here is a pretty good link to info for you: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1498

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Jac is correct try not to over react but also try and redirect the dogs attention. Couple ways of doing this is by just shaking a can of pennies, clapping your hands very loudly. But never call him to you then correct him dogs only remember the last thing they did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He seems to be getting better, he just needs watched all the time, just like my son :D . I know he is an animal and it is instinct for the most part. My son also torments him and gets him all excited, I swear its like having two toddlers in the house!!! I was thinking about having another baby soon, this surely has curbed that idea. If it seems to be a task with these two together, I know I cant handle two human toddlers together yet!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
How funny, and yes, it is like having 2 toddlers, actually you do :) Have a ball handy and when this happens, toss the ball and start a game of fetch. Anything to direct his attention to something else without scolding him. How old is he? If he is under 6 mos of age, a lot of times, neutering will halt this bahaviour. Good luck :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts