Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Labradoodles aren't a recognized breed (yet) in the US, there's obviously no breed confirmation standard to strive for like there is with recognized breeds. I'm wondering how many are attempting to use the austrailian standard... and how many are going by something else?

Having bred only recognized breeds in the past, I feel compelled to ask since I do want to do this "right".

Temperment and health should be givens in any breeding program. But what about color? Tail carriage? Etc.?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
there is a standard. its what we breed to. tails are not to curl and are to be sabre like in appearance. here is a link so you can review the rest of the standard.

http://www.ilainc.com/IALA/LabradoodleB ... ndard.html

the australian standard does vary in a few respects and as you may or may not know the australian lines have other breeds such as cocker and terrier infused. at this time we do not infuse other breeds into the Labradoodle. also there has been line breeding in the australian lines, the american lines do not allow for line breeding.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks movistar!

I've seen a lot of curly tailed doodles pictured online, so that brought up that question. I knew it was a fault in both labs and poodles, so it seemed to follow that doodles shouldn't have it either. So thak you for clearing that one up for me.

Am I wrong is assuming that the same applies to parti colors?

Some of the pictures I'm seeing look to my uneducated eye like someone took the dogs that would be frowned on for these kinds of issues within their own "pure breed" and crossed them. The results are cute, but I question how much this will affect the long term goal of gaining respect and breed recognition.

Maybe I worry too much about details, but it seems that now is the time to really stick to detail and work toward breed integrity. Am I overthinking this?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
The link Micky gave you is the one used by American breeders as well as some Aussie breeders...but you will find a huge variance between the two organizations because of a rift and lots of personal stuff...so, what it boils down to is there are 2 types of Labradoodles, Austrailian (with original stock from Australia and the lines going back to the originators) and American breeders, who GENERALLY favor only Lab/Poodle crosses. However, they are beginning to add in some of the other breeds in some organizations.
Personally, to keep it clean and easy to understand, the Aussie breeders have up to 6 (known) breeds infused into the dog. American breeders breed only Labs and Poodles, but do vary the sizes.
In my opinion, temperament is always most important, equally important, however, is intelligence, personality and health. THEN you look to the coats. I would much prefer to help produce pups that become excellent family pets (via temperament and health) than show dogs (beauty).
But there is nothing to say you can't have all of the wonderful traits! And, that is what we are striving for.
The good thing about American lines is that we are true to the Lab and Poodle. The bad thing is that we start to mess around with sizes and get some problems in health.
Also good is that we don't mutilate our dogs...no tail cropping or ear docking...some are even moving away from removal of dew claws, but that is a hotly debated issue.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thank you for posting the link, you are right, it is good info and very easy to understand. I also really like the links at the bottom of that page...I often refer to the Canine Diversity Project, which is listed there too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts