Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has noticed a slowdown in the last few months.
We have never had puppies this late in the Spring/early Summer so I wasn't sure if it is this time of year or the economy.

We had a litter of 10, they are just 8 weeks now. We have had lots and lots of interest, however they are mostly lookers. We are trying to determine if summer is simply a bad time for most families to add a puppy because of trips etc or if they just don't want to spend the money right now. We are hearing both of those as reasons to not commit.

Would love to hear everyone else's experiences!
Thanks

http://www.mountaincreeklabradoodles.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
business

I think that the economy is playing a big part in the slow down. Usually, this is the time of year that I can sell the most puppies. It is the end of summer that is usually slow for me. Like you, I have lots of lookers, but very few wanting to spend the money.

Kris

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have bred/sold parrots for years....end of summer into fall is ALWAYS a rough time. Nothing seems to move until everyone is settled after school starts. It will be interesting to see how things will be this fall :?.
my next LD litter will not be till next spring.....hopefully things will turn around. The desire to own a labradoodle does not seem to have slowed down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all of you that have replied.

There is definitely still lots and lots of interest. We have many phone calls and emails each day. Many times people are just about to commit but something is holding them back. We are going on vacation this summer and so are most families I guess. Not a good time to be bringing a puppy home. If it is simply timing, that is no big deal. We can adjust that in the future. Just wondering if anybody thought it might be more then that such as the state of the economy and rising gas and food prices.

Thanks again for replying, I really appreciate it!
Tom

·
Registered
106 Posts
How's Business

It's a little different for me this time and my website really plays an important role. I had 13 puppies and they are only 9 weeks right now. I think how much we sell them for is a big factor too. From the past two litters, I usually have 3-4 puppies until they are 13-14 weeks old and by that time I realized they will usually sell faster when I dramatically lower the cost.

Most people tell me that they think the Summer is a perfect time to bring home a puppy but of course there's a lot of other factors.

Good luck on your puppies.

-Mhyles
http://www.coloradomountainlabradoodles.com :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
What's funny Judi, is that not one of my pups has stayed "in my area"... The closest one is 40 miles away and others are 4 hrs or more away.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The phones have definitely slowed down since my litter was born in mid-May, and another local breeder has had the same experience.

Last year about this time, folks said they were going on vacation (although nobody has mentioned that this year), so it might be a bit slow until everyone gets home and is ready to start school.

I had my entire litter pre-sold, but had requests for girls, and got all boys except for my keeper girl, so still have one boy available.

I get a lot of looky loo activity. I suspect, as you said, the price is a sticking point.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I wonder at times if part of the reason is geographical location for slower times in addition to OTHER Factors listed here: time of year, economy, more advertising etc.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I know of 3 doodle breeders , 1 golden breeder and 1 lab breeder who have all had slower than usual business recently just in my area.

Some usually have litters SOLD before they're born others half the litter
REGARDLESS ......it took more aggressive advertising for them and a few lowered prices.
ONE doodle breeder never has a problem.......go figure.

the lab breeder has been approached several times to do doodles as she's been breeding for 15years , does full testing, etc
this is the 1st year SHE ever had a litter sell SLOWLY and had a few older pups. Her prices are much lower than doodles too. her litters usually are spoken for before litter is born and she gets mostly referral business and her website.

i've also had other breeders in various states of US have had slower than usualy sales the past 4mos. Many did temporarily reduce prices.

MOREOVER: price of dogfood has greatly risen in past 6mos
and homecooking? i do it there's very little if any savings vs kibble.
OUR food costs have risen steeply as well due to gas prices and taxes.

i know how much it costs to afford 2 doodles vet visits,meds, supplies and food costs and have insurance on them.
also one job the company imploded :shock: and the other one is in financial trouble, thus i am looking for work for 2mos with salaries being lower than 5 years ago. Unemployment is up to 7%

Lastly, i also hear and see of some Doodle breeders selling doodles much less expensive in the paper giving reason to people : Why pay a higher price [of testing breeders] and why such a price variance?

we KNOW the answers but the general public doesn't always nor come to sites such as this forum to learn.[/b]

ok i just got off the podium :wink: -----> NEXT :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Luckily, with a litter due in days, I am getting one or 2 inquiries per day now about them. I am finding people are more determined to come meet the parents dogs and are asking a lot more (good) questions now than they have in the past. I get the sense that the buyers are becoming more informed and so far, they're telling me my prices are about what they were hoping to pay for a pup. When I explain that next year the prices are going up, and why, they seem to accept that as well. Several still ask to be put on my waiting list.

So I guess I'll have to see in a couple months whether things have tightened up here when my pups are old enough to be going to new homes. I would think it only stands to reason if the economy is rough that we'd see it in something like the sale of puppies early on. Besides the purchase price, there's the after care and having a proper home to keep them to consider. If you're struggling financially, I would think buying a pup would not be high on your list of priorities.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm getting a lot less traffic to my web site than I got when the May 2008 litter was pending, or growing and publishing weekly photos.

I had the entire litter pre-sold, then two fell when there were no girls for sale. I sold those two boys again, but they fell out when one broke his leg (The cute little golden boy on the avatar) and another had such a demanding buyer that I returned her deposit in just three days.

The fair haired boy is all well and I've donated him to an autistic boy who will hopefully take advantage of Bubba's help in learning to speak.

The other one is still here. I get a couple of contacts a week, so far they are all seeking miniature dogs, and this one will be large medium to small standard, I'm guessing standard. Two calls yesterday, the first question was how much, which ended the call. I'm taking advice from a long-time poodle breeder, who suggested that one Never discount the price, on the theory that folks who don't respect the dog enough to pay it's value will not respect the dog enough to give it good care.

With my first litter, I was getting the bargain hunters by the time the pups were this age.

I'm getting a bit of traffic, with nothing more than word of mouth, with a handsome re-home that I've got from the previous litter. He's really a great dog... can't understand why they gave him up, as I haven't been able to duplicate any of the submissive peeing with men only, the "needy" behavior of wanting to push in for his share when they pet their other dog, or the separation anxiety of creative redecorating when Mom left home for more than two hours. I crate young dogs when I leave, so this has not been a issue.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I appreciate the BUMP for this topic.....

I have been researching and planning and gathering to begiN
breeding Coco this December....I have been seriously
considering waiting until she's back in heat in June or July instead.
That would give us puppies ready to go to forever homes next November. My reason for waiting is the economy
and the fear of having difficulty selling
the puppies this coming April.
I know it is impossible to know for sure
....but planning to have only one, or two litters
per year to start with...
I won't have tons of word of mouth
business for a good while, I suppose, and I have a small amount of money to invest in advertising on the web.
My website is nearly done....and can be published soon....
Any advice you may have is very welcome!!
Sometimes, I think....Go for it!! in December and see what happens.
Other times, I think.....WAIT!!
:roll:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Jane, whether or not you decide to wait it out, I really commend you for putting the health and well being of your puppies above your profit.
I know how much you have put into testing and planning and it will really pay off...more important than money, you will KNOW that your puppies will have the best possible chance at a good, healthy life!
The fact that you waited to decide whether or not to breed, based on the testing results, speaks highly of how much you recognize and respect your responsibility to the puppies. (First, and foremost!)
Kudos to you!
(You too, Deb!)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, thanks everyone...I really would be concerned if
I couldn't find truly wonderful homes to place the puppies in.
I would also be concerned if we ended up with lots of older
tweens to place.....I am not set up for scads of dogs
here all the time....
If we lived out and on more property...
it would be a whole different story.
I am not sure my neighbors would be too happy
with us having so many older pups here waiting to
be placed in their forever homes....

Abby will be bred by her breeder in about 7 months
and so about the same time Abby has a litter,
if we wait to breed Coco~
she could have one, too.
Abby will be at her breeder's place from
her due date til her puppies are weaned...
So Coco will be home with us for her whelping without Abby
...which would be fine, I think.
I don't know how Abby will do out there
by herself....isn't it silly that I worry about that?
With both having litters so close together,
it would make it hard for me to
be out there with Abby...and I had definitely planned to do that.
Geesh.
There is so much to think about, I drive myself nuts..
And I have said that so often lately, surely... by now I am
a bona fide NUT!!
8) :roll: :? :shock: :lol: :oops: :lol:hahahahaaa

1 - 20 of 66 Posts