Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, Well, we are finally about to get our first doodle. She is 4 1/2 months old and fortunately is crate trained and housebroken. We need to puppy proof the house. I wanted to know if anyone can recommend what to do with cords? Is there a protector or deterant out there than anyone has worked with? Also, we have a 4 year old daughter who still leaves her toys out...oh boy are we in for a rude awakening...Has anyone had this experience and what did you do? We hope to get her into an obedience class right away, I will keep you posted.Take care, Carey :D

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Our first doodle loved to chew cords...Tanner never bothered them at all. We found cord covers at Home Depot or Lowes. They are a coil that you wind over the cords. We bought some small ones and some very large when we had to bundle several together. Bitter apple worked but only for a few minutes so we had to cover them.

I'll let someone else suggest how to deal with kids and toys.

Congratulations...can't wait to see pictures :wink:

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have a 2 and 3 year old. Toys are always out. Shadow is finally getting better about not eating them...although there are no dolls left with any toes. He likes to lick ours and eat theirs. :roll: I gave up and leave the toeless dolls downstairs and make her keep her "healthy" dolls upstairs. It was not possible to insist we never have toys downstairs, so we just kept taking toys away from Shadow and replacing with a Kong or other toy. It took some time, but he is pretty good now. (We did have quite the rainbow poop though until recently.) The kids and Shadow do still get a few kid toys confused with chew toys...but I try hard to make sure the dog toys I buy distinct so no one is confused.

Cords were never an issue for us. So we didn't do anything different than what we did for just regular child proofing.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
you have one of two choices DEPENDING on your doodle's personality

Max never ate plants, chewed things etc so i was able to make sure he was never out of my sight and if he tried to go near plants, my stuffed animals, etc
i was easily able to train him to the word NO , Hand him HIS chew toy and then praise him.

other choice: check which plants are poisonous and hang up high, make sure shoes are not left out, and check daily what may be on the floor
and keep picking up your 4yr olds toys.

Peanut was a chewer and we had to do option two with her till she was about 11mos old.
JUST Make sure at 6mos old they're losing or lost baby teeth, 8mos old they have a wild stage, 10mos old they're breaking in adult teeth and really want to chew......KONG teether and balls helped out alot along with a marrow bone or merrick TaNK bone

good luck hope all goes really well :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
8mos old they have a wild stage, 10mos old they're breaking in adult teeth and really want to chew.....
Now you're scaring me, Annemarie...Holly is going to get even WILDER???!! :shock:

Holly is 5 months and seems to have (temporarily) outgrown the chewing stage. She is in our gated kitchen, and in the evenings when she is mellower we let her roam the family room and living room. I make sure all the toys are picked up at this time. Your kids will learn pretty quickly that things left on the floor get chewed up-- my daughter has rescued a few beloved stuffed animals from Holly's jaws enough so that now she makes certain they are out of reach. Unfortunately Holly seems to like bitter apple spray, so I need to keep a pretty close eye on her so she doesn't chew the woodwork...aside from that, our kitchen is pretty well puppy-proofed (no plants, cords out of reach, tile floor, etc). She is getting better about chewing so I'm not afraid to leave her unattended for a half hour or hour. Longer than that, she goes in her crate or is tethered in the 'safe' corner of the kitchen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts