Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey (7 months) is in her crate about 7 hours while we are at work.
We want to provide water for her but aren't sure how.
We bought a dish that has an inverted bottle in it, but she just spilled it all over her blankets.

I'm looking at water bottles (like for hamsters, but bigger) that attach to the crate. Petsmart has 'em but the reviews aren't so positive.

What do y'all do? She hasn't had water while in the crate up to now, but i've just read so much that they should have water available 24/7.

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Not sure what kind of crate you have. We have a wire crate and the clamp on coop cups work great for us. Just be sure to put it low enough on the crate that they can't come up underneath it and knock it out.

These might be able to clamp on to the door of a plastic crate as well.

Heather

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
water for crate

At petedge,com or jefferspet,com you can get buckets small,, then you can get double clips and snap to crate
thats what i do

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
ZMAN

I have thought about those hamster bottles, too....what review was no good....? I don't see why they wouldn't work.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
my experience

the bottles do not work well
they have trouble learning how to drink from them and they do not produce enough water
the small flat sided buckets work best for us even with the puppies ,who if they have a chance will swim in the water just to have a play time and laugh at me cleaning it up,,they dont get to do much of that with the buckets

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.a ... EVU2J12FJB

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks, Nancy,

Makes sense. I was hoping to avoid a mess with a bucket, or bowl of water in the crate....these seem to be deep enough that maybe they won't spill.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
glad i could help

i have been known in the past to get a high ceramic bowl put bucket in it and snap with 2 snaps spaced apart to hold it securely
its vertually impossible to dump out like that

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Thanks for the responses.

I see there are other options for us to try. Leaning towards the flat-sided bucket or the clamp-on bowl.

Some of the reviews on various sites didn't give the water bottle good reviews (there were some good review though). Problems noted were leaky bottles and dogs didn't use them or dogs didn't get enough water out of them.

The crate we have is the wire type that you see at lots of pet stores.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
wire crates water

i have found especially with the wire crates that the bucket system i explained prior works best make sure you put in corner with clasp on each side,
i use the double snaps

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I like Nancy's idea about the bucket...and you can get the non-spill bowls, I think someone mentioned that. But I tried the hamster bottles...big waste of time and money! Leaked all the time.
STill, I think that you can expect some spilling of water because I have yet to find a doodle who won't play in his water dish!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jac said:
.....Still, I think that you can expect some spilling of water because I have yet to find a doodle who won't play in his water dish!
For sure! I don't mind some spilling or some dripping. I just can't have the whole couple o' quarts (or however much is in it) dumped out in the crate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts