Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's only day 2 and I'm already wondering what I've gotten myself into! :shock: Not really, but boy, this is SO hard! If anyone has recent puppy experience, I'd love some help on a few questions! I'm sorry this is so long, and I've done searches but can't find the answers to my questions dealing directly with young puppies.

1. Crying in crate -- I have a few things I'm going to have to do away from the house soon (I took this week off work), like getting groceries and taking my daughter to t-ball practice, etc., but so far Stella (10 weeks old) has whined and cried and BARKED like crazy every time I'm not in her direct sight. I closed her in her crate for her nap today and that went okay after a bit of whining but only as long as she could see me and I was VERY nearby. I've been home with her or taken her with the whole time we've had her (in the crate in the car, which she also hates) but I do have to go back to regular life before long! Any ideas? I'm sure since she's so recently separated from her littermates and the rest of her "pack" that her fearfulness is normal, but I don't know how to ease her into being alone without causing long-term issues. Help! Next week reality and our regular routine sets in!

2. Up too early - The first night Stella went to bed at 11:30 and didn't get up until 5:45am -- although then she was up for the day-- but I could handle that for the first night! Last night, though, she was up twice and then was up for the day at 5:00am after going to bed at 11:45pm! Please tell me this improves?! I did try to put her back in her crate but the crying was too loud and she was starting to chew the sides and was obviously no longer tired. I just hope this ends at some point and I can actually get some sleep?!

3. Housetraining - If you had about 8 accidents on the first two days of having a new puppy, would you be concerned?! Our lab had all of two accidents PERIOD when we got him at eight weeks of age and I can't seem to get this one to even pee outside! She seems to prefer the carpet or hardwood or wherever inside. She'll just be walking along and it looks like she's sitting down for a second (it seriously looks no different) and she just goes... no sniffing, no pacing, no signal at all. Usually it's right after I took her outside and she peed a teeny bit (all she'll go out there). This, paired with not wanting to be in her crate or ex-pen because she's too lonely, along with the nipping and biting and general puppy craziness is hard to take in my sleep deprived state! However, I do realize this last one is my fault... she has no clue and has obviously not been in the breeder's house or else she just didn't even try training them. I just don't know what to do, and I've raised a puppy before! He always sniffed and you could tell what he needed to do, but with her, there's no way to tell.

Also, it's a bit difficult because we have a large fenced backyard and an adult lab, so when we go outside it's hard to make it obvious that it's potty time, not play time, and she obviously doesn't know the difference (which she might not anyway, but still).

HELP!

G

·
I can't help too much. Maya hated her crate and would cry and bark and just go crazy everytime I put her in it. Now at 12 mos she has run of the house but she has to be in a crate at my BFs house. All I have to do is say kennel up and she is goes to her crate. Have you tried giving your puppy a kong? Maya never liked stuffing in the kong but she loves Ziggies (bar like treat to put in the Kong). When she was younger and had to be in a crate I always gave her those.

As far as potty training....always use the same door and take the puppy out without the older dog. Make sure puppy is on a leash. Walk her around and as soon as she starts to go start repeating good potty and give a treat immediately. I have a foster right now that is 4 mos old. I tried letting her out with my dog and it is a disaster. Maya wouldn't go and the puppy had no idea what I wanted her to do.

It will get better in a few weeks. I taught Maya "back to bed". She needs to go by 7 am every morning. After I let her out I tell her back to bed and she will go back to sleep until I get up.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Remember it is only day 2. Make sure everything is ok with her health wise...

The crate thing... we had a heck of a time with Lucas ( our 1st ) and the crate... The first night, he cried all night!!! :shock: Other than the few times we got up to make sure he didn't have to pee... he stayed in the crate. I would say, my husband and I did not sleep for about a week.

I think the idea is, if they cry and you "fix" it, they learn to cry again... since it works...

I know it's tough, but try to ignore her... maybe you can try one of these things...

http://snugglepuppys.com/item_2/Snuggle ... n-Mutt.htm

supposed to be like having a littermate in the crate with them!

The no warning sign pee... both my doodles did this... I thought the same thing you said, they should sniff, and circle or something... but no...

Perhaps you can tether her to you so you can watch more carefully, your pup is so young, maybe just make a point to go out every 30 mins or so... in the beginning... then LOTS of Praise and Treat when potty outside...

It will get better... the first week with Lucas was tough for us too! It gets better, and quickly! You'll see... you just gotta be consistent in the message you are sending! :D :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I am not much help with the crate - I was soft and gave up with Dex really early. We put an x-pen up in the kitchen and he stayed in there when we were away for the first 6-8 months. We left him for 4-5 hrs at a time while we worked (we were making daily trips home at lunch). He got used to the schedule really quickly...I think you just need to set a schedule with her and stick to it.

About the potty accidents - we kept Dex in the kitchen a lot when he was in that 2-4 month range. When he was out of the kitchen he was always on a leash with us. We took him outside like every 15-30 minutes and praised him like heck for "going potty" outside (we gave him treats too). He did have a bunch of accidents the first 2 months. I would make sure she doesn't have a UTI or any other problem though.

About the wake-up time - ours still get us up by 6-7 am every day. We can take them out, feed them and go back to bed, but we rarely get to both be in bed past 7. I would take away her water early in the evening (by 8 ish)...just make sure she isn't running too much after that (so she's not thirsty). Take her out to potty right before bed. I would also try feeding her a bit later in the evening so she isn't hungry so early in the morning. Oh yeah - I would take her out on a leash every time for potty - so she learns when you take her on the leash she is supposed to go. We did this with Dex and he is very good at going on command (Kirby must not have been trained like this because it's tough to get him to go on leash).

Hang in there - the first few months can be rough - it got so much better for us when he was 5-6 months old!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good luck! We have the same problems with Remy, plus a few more (sensitive tummy & diarrhea plus an active 2-year-old toddler). I had a few friends who got puppies at the same time we did and they seemed to have a much easier time than we did. Other people on this forum also seemed to have an easier time, I guess it just varies by dog.

For the crate training, here are a few things that helped us. We had originally got a hard-sided crate. We later got a wire one and Remy liked that a lot more. We kept the hard one upstairs in my daughters' room to sleep in and the wire one downstairs. We also found that Remy slept a lot better with my daughters instead of downstairs alone. Remy started out getting up really early (no fun) but now will be quiet until about 7:00.

She never liked being in the crate during the day. We just had to suffer with her barking/whining while we were home and she never gave it up. She was a little better in the crate when we left home. For the first month she would still have accidents in the crate. When she was out of the crate someone was assigned to watch her at all times to avoid potty accidents and chewing (my son's toys were all over the place). We always took her out on the leash to potty (and still do).

Things started to get better when she was 4 months and could go on outings. Things got a lot better by 5-6 months when she was housetrained and usually didn't chew on things she wasn't supposed to. She's now a year old. I still don't trust her unsupervised in the house for too long (too much temptation with 3 kids' stuff around) but she's usually pretty good. We crate her when we're gone and she usually doesn't complain anymore. We still don't let her outside unsupervised because she eats everything; I'm hoping eventually we'll be able to do that.

Things will get better! I'm so glad we stuck it out with Remy and now have a great, lovable family dog. (But there's no way I'd want to repeat the first few months!!!)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok here goes. Sam is now nearly 8 months. I got him at the start of Dec 2007 at exactly 8 weeks. As he came from the other side of Australia, his first experience with leaving his litter involved a 6 hr plane trip. When I picked him up from the airport in the afternoon, I was met by a terrified little puppy who had soiled his crate during the plane trip. When I got him home, he was literally trembling.

The first night involved quite a bit of crying. However, as he had a big plane trip, he was very tired. Nonetheless, Sam fought back sleep. I've crated him from the start. I spent his first night on a matress on the floor. Whenever he would start crying, I would gently tap the side of his crate with my finger. Occasionally, I'd put my fingers in the crate and he'd have a little suck and nibble on them. Needless to say, I got very little sleep that night.

Day 2 and I started a regime of 1 hour crate and 1 hour out of crate cycle. I kept to this regiment and everytime I took him out of the crate, the first thing I did was take him to his toilet spot and let him go potty. If he went potty, I would treat him and then we'd sit down and play for the rest of the hour. Needless to say, when I crated him, he would start crying.

I found this VERY distressing but what I found helped was I started recording the length of time he would spend crying when crated. Initially, he would cry for about 50 minutes of his crate hour. Over the next few days, this gradually got less and less. Because I was vigilant in recording, I could see the progress being made. By day 4, Sam was only crying for about 5 - 10 min before settling. I absolutely did not go to him while he was crying. Fortunately, I put him in the laundry and I have a mirror where I could spy on him without him actually seeing me.

I took the first week off work so I continued the hour on/hour off routine for the week. When I went back to work in the second week, I crated him and went home at morning tea and lunch times to wee him and let him have a little play. Most of the time, he would be asleep when I arrived.

On the second night, I took Sam's crate and placed it next to my bed. If he started crying, I would tap the side of his crate. Because I had done the hour on and hour off, he wasn't allowed to sleep throughout the day. By the time it was night time, he actually slept for periods of time. Initially, I set my alarm midnight or 1 am and again at 2 or 3 am. At these times, I would get up and take Sam outside for a potty break regardless of whether he was asleep or awake. This night routine continued for about 2 - 3 weeks.

In the end, it was more about my anxiety than Sam's readiness or independence. Since I got him, I have only had about 5 or 6 accidents in the house.

At nearly 8 months, Sam sleeps in his crate every night. I no longer lock the door of his crate. He will generally fall asleep next to me while I'm watching TV. When I go to bed, I wee him and then say "crate". He goes immediately to his crate by himself. He outgrew his little crate within weeks of me getting him. Even after he outgrew his little crate, Sam would still squeeze himself inside and have a little lie down if it was open.

Btw, prior to Sam, I have never owned or lived with a dog. Sam is my first dog experience. Initially, I was VERY anxious. I am all for crate training but will say that you really need to stick to your guns. I got a lot of good advice from people in this forum. Hang in there....it is definitely worth it.

At nearly 8 months, I have a whole different set of challenges to face with Sam. Puppy adolescence has well and truely set in :twisted: . However, he is a beautiful dog with an awesome temperament. Everyone who meets him simply falls in love with him.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Our doodles are 8mths and going on 20 wks so it is not too long ago to remember what you are going through. We used a crate and snuggly puppy for Lucee. The crate was right next to my bed so if she cried I would just drop my hand into the crate and she would fall back to sleep. Once we had her toilet trained we stopped using the crate. The crying should only last for a few more days. Rusty we actually gated him in the ensuite due to unseasonally hot weather. He also had a snuggly puppy without the heat (used the little heart thingy only). He now is also free at night since being toilet trained. PS they are usually the last out of bed in the mornings now. No more early mornings.

Now getting up through the night.....Lucee still gets up once through the night usually around 1:30 -2:00 am. I actually don't mind as I usually have to go myself and some nights I lie in bed hoping she needs to go soon because I sure do :lol: Now Rusty is a very rare puppy and I know we are blessed to have this pup, he has slept through the night from his second night onwards. The only time we ever have to get up with him is when he has eaten something that has given him runny poos.

Now to toilet training. Our breeder must have done some really good prework in this area. Yes we had accidents but they were usually because we weren't watching the clock and taking them outside. If we took them outside they would go. We also have a word for going toilet. We tell them to get busy and they do it on command. They get lavish praise when they do (over the top). After every meal they should go out, when they wake up from a snooze they should go out, if it has been an hour since they have been out they should go out. We don't have a dog door (due to cats) so we hung up bells that they ring when they need to go out. Rusty has been fully toilet trained since about 14 wks. Also when they go inside you need to use a cleaner that eliminates oder or they will keep peeing there.

Lucee and Rusty love hanging around me when I am home. They will flop down and sleep while I am in the study. They do spend some time outside alone but really love people company. We started with leaving them alone for a small period and slowly built that up to a longer period. We usually give them some dog biscuits and have the radio playing. Just don't make it a big deal when you leave or when you return.

Puppies are very hard work but are super cute and lovable. All these problems will be a distant memory soon and you will have different issues like a doodle who thinks he is a billy goat and keeps jumping on your sofa. Not to mention the second period of teething they go through when they have a full set of adult teeth which are more destructive than puppy pins. Every toy and bedding Lucee owns is missing hunks out of it and we still have Rusty to go through this stage. :shock:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, THANK YOU all so much! Your responses were so fantastic and I just feel so much better! I guess just knowing that people have had the same issues and worked through them with time reassures me the most! I "know" that it will get better but it's hard to really KNOW it while you're sleep-deprived and still unfamiliar with your puppy and what works and what doesn't work... so hearing from you all is so great.

I've worked up to having naps in the crate during the day (the hour in, hour out thing is a great idea) and while we've had crying and whining, it's definitely better and she's slept okay while she's in there. The car crate is still another story but hopefully that will improve, too!

Last night she slept until 5:00 am (took the water up earlier) and then went back in her crate and after chewing on the divider (cardboard) for about five minutes went back to sleep and I had to get her up at 7! Yay! I feel so much better today!

Thank you all again -- you have no idea how much each of your posts has helped me!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dont worry, i think 90% of puppy owners have the same problem!!

We got molly at 3 months, and our 3 main problems were toilet training,seperation anxiety and sleeping on own in crate!!

just ask questions around here, there are plenty of people ready to give advice!!

Molly is 7 monts now and is toilet trained, can be left and sleeps through the night!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feel for you with the challenging puppy times!

An idea for getting puppy used to her crate...have you tried feeding her or giving treats in the crate?
We were very lucky in that our breeder started Bosco's crate training early, in preparation for his 3 hr+ drive home with us. She told me he really didn't like it when she started, and we got daily "he's not pleased" emails, but he was fed his meals in there regularly, and he was used to it as a 'good' place by the time we got him at 12 weeks.
We also keep his crate open in the living room (he's 4 mths now), with the door bungied open, so that he can go in there for a break from our 3 yr old whenever he likes. I occasionally toss a kong with a cookie in there whenever I think he (or we!) need a break. Our puppy trainer also suggested he should go in there 4-5 times a day with the gate closed for a good nap. She said it would cut down on the puppy crazies...apparently puppies tend to be little monsters without naps, just like toddlers! :wink:
He sleeps in the crate beside our bed at night.

We did have some issues with him crying or barking sometimes when in the crate if we were home. We simply gave him a short time out. Picked up the crate and put it around the corner, just out of the room. When he stopped the whining/barking, we brought him back in. Now he'll quiet down if we tell him 'shush'. He figured out pretty quick that making the noise would make us disappear, so he doesn't do it any more.
We always make sure to take him potty as soon as we take him out of the crate, or before we put him in for any length of time.

With potty training, we've had some accidents as well. He's even peed on the floor immediately after coming inside from a pee! So frustrating! It has gotten better though. We take him outside on the leash every time, and take him to a large rock garden area in our garden (don't want him going on the new grass) We were taking him out at least every hour, telling him to 'go potty' and praising like crazy when he did. Accidents are very few these days, and only seem to happen when he's caught short and forgets, like when he's playing hard. Poor guy seems as suprised as we are!

Good luck and keep your chin up! It can only get easier! :lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is how we got molly to be "crate trained"

we put the crate in our front room to start with and just kept throwing in treats for molly to go in and sniff out.

you have to make the crate a positive experiance for them, just keep giving treats in the crate and they will get the idea its a nice place!

Keep the crate in a place where you relax if you can, in the front room while you watch television, by the computer whatever, by this the doodle does not feel isolated and can relax, with the door open.

after you have done this you can close the crate door and move about so the doodle gets used to being inside the crate alone, only for short periods.

at night time, i made a sacrifice of sleeping in the front room next to the crate, this worked as molly slept the whole night first time :O, every night we just moved the crate further from the sofa, until she was in her own room and i could go to bed!!!! (a week or two is all it takes)

good luck

·
Registered
134 Posts
MountainDoodle said:
I've worked up to having naps in the crate during the day (the hour in, hour out thing is a great idea) and while we've had crying and whining, it's definitely better and she's slept okay while she's in there. The car crate is still another story but hopefully that will improve, too!
You're having naps in the crate? :shock: hehehe.....With the car, I used the same crate and put in his familiar blankey which had my "scent". For ages, I put him in the crate in the car and not lock the door. Sam would wander in and out of the crate during the car trip once he felt comfortable with the whole idea. I definitely did the feeding and treating in the crate thing. Now, everytime the garage door is opened, Sam circles the car and then sits by the door in eager anticipation. A lot of the time, he's disappointed. :roll:

Hang in there, it does get better. :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Speaking of car crates...we had a soft crate that could buckle into our car. Dex never took to his wire crate, but he loved that soft crate! I swear that's why he's so calm in the car now - he would lay and sleep in his soft crate and now does the same on the car seat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts