Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey goes to vet to be spayed tomorrow (Thursday) morning. She spends the night at the vet and comes home Friday afternoon.

I understand she may be laid back from the surgery - which would be good for recovery.

I also understand that she may have times when she wants to be too active - running and jumping.

Any tips on how to keep her calm? I can use her crate some (ya can't run and jump in there) and take her out on a leash to control running and jumping. Any other thoughts?

She's having the laser surgery which I've been told does heal faster and the stitches are on the inside. It's also more expensive, $50 more - we thought it was worth paying extra for it. I don't know how long her recovery will take - I expect the vet will tell us tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice or sharing your experience.
Bailey will be 6 months old on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have never done this.....but a friend uses Rescue Remedy, an homeopathic product that comes in a bottle with an eye dropper. She has given her toy poodles a tiny amount...dropper filled about 1/4-1/2 inch is all when they have had to be at the vet....or whenever they get overly anxious.

It doesn't drug them up.....but does seem to calm them, quiet them somewhat. They seem normal, no wobbling around, just calm. It supposedly won't hurt them....Your vet may not be familiar with any homeopathic things and may discourage you from using it. I just know it hasn't hurt and has helped my friend's dogs on occasion.

Maybe your vet will send her home with something to keep her mellow and out of the jumping mood.

When we had our Irish Setter spayed.....they just said to keep her barricaded in the kitchen....before crates were popular.....and she didn't do what was uncomfortable to do. She really didn't....but she was older and had had two litters first.

·
Registered
33 Posts
KENNEL, KENNEL, KENNEL. It may seem cruel but it is really the only way to keep a puppy quiet to heal. Take her out on a leash for potty and then back in the kennel. I have gone through 2 spayings and one major surgery with my doodles and learned the only sure way is to keep them crated.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon was real quiet the first day she was home after surgery, but then she was back close to normal. I was told to let her play but control the jumping and hard running (doddle's 500) for about 5 days. It wasn't too hard to do, when we felt she had too much energy, we played on the floor with her. I worked out of the house 4-5 hours during the day and she would be crated then. We took her favorite stool out of the window so she wouldn't be jumping up on there to look out, but other than that, I don't recall anything else. She didn't bother her incision area so we didn't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Amanda was just spayed a few weeks ago, and I was surprised and pleased by how quickly she healed. However, although she WANTED to run and jump we were warned not to let her for risk of opening up the incision. We had to keep her leashed in our yard, which she definitely wasn't used to. But the ten days went by pretty quickly, and she is very much herself now.

BTW, I knew she was feeling much better when I went downstairs and found her standing on our kitchen table less than 24 hours post-op.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i am going to quietly sit and read here as Peanut is almost 4 mos old and not spayed yet. i only have experience with cats being spayed.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I think I agree with the Kennel idea. Crates are a must here at my house and seem to be the safest option for recovery periods....and taking her on a leash outside. Maybe small play times inside on the floor with her....but my Coco can get INSTANTLY wound up and too rambunctious!! I would worry about that happening and not being able to stop her in time.
So, I'd rely on the crate a lot.
Also, time does go by fast......I think God has " upped" the minute and it is now shorter than before.....therefore, time really is going by faster!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts