Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, tonight I'm in a cleaning frenzy cause the future mother-in-law is coming tomorrow for a visit. Remember that lovely cat bed that nobody will use since Dexter outgrew it? Well, I decided it would make a fine toy box. So I'm cleaning and throwing toys into it. And I turn my back and Dex is systematically removing them one by one. So I throw them back, he digs them out.....you get the picture. It actually was kinda cute, since he took them out in a particular order, no matter how I buried them. Squirrel, pheasant, duckie, nyla bone, rag bone. In that order. But cute or not, it would have been a blessing if he understood the concept of toybox. Even better if he could learn to pick them up and put them in. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Bwahahahahahhahaaa...you funny lady!

When I clean, I put all the toys in Jonah's cage. They stay for, oh, about 1/2 hour, then gone again. Miko will get a toy, Jonah will take it. Miko, will get a toy, Jonah will take it...you get the picture! :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hahahaha...so one of Dexter's favorite games is bringing (one by one) every toy from his cage in the basement up into our den. As i sit her writing this, his stuffed puppy has just made it's way up. he brings every one to me to play fetch with. We have thought of getting a real toy box too. It would have to have a lid cause i don't see it working otherwise.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dextersmommy, I don't have any brilliant solutions, but I'd love to hear 'em if anyone does! :D By the way, I don't think I ever wrote you back to tell you that you were right, Hector and Dexter DO look a lot alike! My husband was looking over my shoulder when I was looking at your pics, and even he said "Wow! They almost look like the same dog!" Is Dexter still very white? Hector is getting a little bit darker now. He's still adorable, though!
Jenny

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's pretty white, but not quite as white as my camera shows. He's got a "peachy" cast to him, especially his ears and a line down his back. I was looking at Hector pics and Kevin said "how old was Dex in those, and where did you take them?" I just laughed. Doesn't even know his own dog!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hmmm I do know we used a carboard box for month for max to get used to the idea and then grauduated to a smaller brown laundry basket with a lid. Peanut hasn't figured out that as of this week sheis tall enough to reach into it yet and i am not telling her either. Max always doesit for her :wink:

solutions? GOOD LUCK hahhahaa
or i do know if i put toys away while peanut and max are wrestling and do NOT SEE me putting them away the toys stay put. That is till max realizes the house looks to clean and boring.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Doodles do not like CLEAN or nicely organized.
Denver has a large rubber made toy box and if I want clean or
organized, I put the lid on it.bahahahhhahaha

·
Registered
126 Posts
Charlie has two toy boxes one in the family room which is a milk crate - he hasnt been able to chew that one and a basket (he will chew on) in the upstairs living room - I put the toys in every night and he plays one at a time during the day which at the end of the day he will have a lot of them out - he does put them away too "sometimes" I think he thinks the crate is a toy and moving the toys in and out is a game. I sat beside the crate and when he took them out I put them back in - pretty soon he was able to put them in too - figured it out so now we can clean up - it is mostly mommy though that does the clean up.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Dextersmommy...given time Dexter will eventually just take out the toys he wants to play with...for now that toybox is like a new toy for him holding all his favorite things. :D

·
Registered
558 Posts
Kozmo puts his toys in his cage to keep the pups, oop pup :( away from them. Kelsey and koz always have a ton of toys on the floor. The squeaky ones we hide when they turn their backs and they spend the rest of the day looking for them. (so mean). all the toys end up in the whelping box. Which Kozzie sneaks into to retrieve them when no one is looking..lol good luck

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Molly & Raleigh have one of those big purple baskets with the rope handles, that I keep tipped on it's side so they can get into it easily, and I can throw their toys into it easily...haha (when they're sleeping, that is! :shock: )

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, it is funny how we think alike around here. We all have doodle brain!

Today I dug his cow out from under the daybed when I was trying to get the cat out. I threw it in the middle of the room. Tonight it's in the "toybox" and Kevin says he didn't do it. Coincidence? Or is my little man messin' with my head?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Desxtersmommy...he's messin with ya head and so is the cat :wink:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lizze & Dogge have a basket with a lid for a toybox & understand that's where they toys that survive are kept. I have yet to teach them to PUT THE TOYS UP. . .hence toys all over the floor at all times.

LizziesMom

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My question is why worry about the toy box thing:?: I was a AAA with my kids...refuse to be with my doodle. He drags stuff out...I love to see what interests him each day...I pick them up at end of day. The rest of the time our house looks like a hurricane hit it and I like it that way :wink:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, I am a little anal retentive when it comes to neatness. But actually I think it would be kinda cute, since he's always into everything I'm doing, to see him actually "help" with the cleaning.

I never let my daughter have toys in the living room. But Dex's toys are everywhere!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahhahaa i was called Inventory taker when my kids were small. I would get teased so bad because during nap time and bedtime i would put away all toys, clean, count each piece etc. My house would have tons of toys while kids played but they also helped pick up and wahlaa nice neat and clean house for years.
or
that is till i got doodles!!! hahhahaha i now dont put away their toys till bedtime. i mean most of them are de-stuffed and kongs etc. takes me a few minutes to pick up. i have a dog bed in 3 different rooms and i am NOT mopping daily anymore hahhahaa 3 times a week is it! i sweep daily ok?
So if anyone visits and wants a "better homes and garden" looking house then go to a better house hahhahahahhaaa that is teenagerless, dog-less and fiance-less :wink:

G

·
I keep a green tupperware on top of Boyd's crate that contains toys, leash, poop bags, etc. I also determine which toys I put out for him to play with and I rotate them so he won't get bored. Boyd has been really good about not disturbing the tupperware - maybe it's just a matter of time before he figures out that's the gold mine.... :roll:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts