Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our doodle for 3 months now (he's 9 months old). I also have a 13 year old cat. Needless to say, we're having a lot of trouble getting the two to co-habitate peacefully. The dog is VERY interested in the cat - I think he wants a friend! The cat growls (yes, growls) every time the dog gets near. We've tried crating the dog and bringing the cat over, putting the dog on the leash and letting him near the cat, & each of us holding one, but nothing seems to work.

Right now, we put up a baby gate to divide the house so each gets half. Its like a bad sitcom! :lol:

Any suggestions for how to help the two to get along, or is the cat just too old? :(

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi there:

Does your cat have a blanket that it sleeps on? If yes then rub your dog with the blanket and then drape it over the crate. This may take a few days, or weeks:) but once the cat smells its own scent on the dog it may help:)

Blueteal

·
Registered
164 Posts
I totally understand where you are coming from! My dog is a year old now, and I have 2 young cats. We have had Leno since February and my cats still hate him!!! They run from him when they hear him coming..they hide under the beds, and I have to keep their food and water on my washer so they can eat peacefully. Leno loves the cats and all he wants to do is play with them and they arent gonna have that. I keep telling my cats to just get over it! lol ...Cats dont like dogs so I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't have all that much advice for you, but there is still some hope. We have 3 cats, and rescued all of them (2 as adults, 1 as a kitten) and even when we adopted them they were used to dogs already. We've fostered a couple dogs before getting Boomer, and every time thered be a new dog in the house (we wouldn't do anything fancy to let them meet, we'd just put them in the same room), a few hisses and a swat would do the trick for the dog to leave the cats alone. It also helps that our cats don't run away at any dog...the dog doesnt find any fun in it that way. Now, our cats and Boomer get along great and sleep on the couch together.
I know that didn't help much, but I'd thought I'd share my experience.
Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts