Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the date of my puppy's arrival comes closer (but not as close as I would probably like) I was wondering if there is any particular way I should start researching a Vet? I'm in Rhode Island right now, and the Vet's going to be in Northern California, so it might be hard for me to call them, so I want to give myself plenty of time. Are there any questions I should ask? My parent's Vet was kind of assigned to us from the pound we got Striker from, and we never changed from that one. So, I don't know exactly where to start?

Thanks,
Kristen

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I have always gone by word of mouth...friend neighbor, etc. Since you aren't living there yet, you may want to ask the breeder, do a little internet searching, ask around at school. Good luck in your search. With all this work you are putting into getting ready, I think in my next life I want to be your dog!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I'd say ask around the neighborhood people who have dogs and see if they like their vet. Remember to ask a lot of people, you will probably get a lot who don't think too much about it. Contact the ones who get rave reviews and start there.

Are you moving to Northern CA or have a 2nd home there? I'll admit, I've forgotten. I don't keep score like Annmarie does.

I'm sure there are a few on this forum who can help you, too. Good luck!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Unless you know someone who has dogs and who lives in that area you're pretty much on your own. You can always ask people whom you see with dogs, once you get there. You might find the same names coming up both pro and con. But there's nothing wrong with picking someone out of the phone book based on convenience - hours, location, whatever - and then seeing how you like him or her. We've had several different vets; one didn't seem to care for animals very much and another told us that we made a mistake putting our dog down at the advice of a different vet, as if anyone ever wants to hear that, regardless of its validity. The one we use now seems caring and thorough. He has a female partner who is perhaps too quick to recommend very expensive avenues of treatment or visits to the nearest veterinary research facility - those can run you several thousand dollars and basically the facility's interest is in expanding their own body of knowledge at the expense of you and your dog.

We have a good friend who's a retired vet and he gives us very sound, practical advice, which helps us steer through the maze of treatments. We had an eight-year-old Dane who had arthritis and some hip problems. We had opted not to go the expensive route with her - neurologists and such! - and Rimadyl made a huge difference in her mobility. It also turned out that she had anaplasmosis, a tick-borne disease that vets are just beginning to learn about, and treatment for that helped her too.

Don't know if that's at all helpful. I'm writing this listening to my own brand new doodle yowling in the background - she doesn't like her crate! But we had a good first night and no accidents yet! You'll adore yours when you get him/her!

Leslie

G

·
Ohhhh Leslie! We want pictures of that beautiful baby! Did everything go well with the shipping? Pictures!!! :lol:

And Kristen, sometimes it is just trial and error as the others have said. I went with a vet everyone in the neighborhood used and, well, I must have gotten the substitute vet or something because he was awful as was his receptionist/assistant. When he told me that Bella 'had a lot to learn' (she was 10 weeks old) and that he kept his grown, large dog gated in the kitchen his whole life, I ran away fast.
I found a vet I love. He was too laid back for a friend of mine though, so it all depends on what you are looking for. This vet is laid back, but when I push or question he always has a good answer and really loves the dogs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'll start looking around, and asking around. I go to school out in California, and I've been there for two years, but I come home for the summer- no rent and no food bills, who wouldn't?

Thanks for all of your support! I can't wait until I get the puppy, well (s)he needs to be born first! I've only got about 1 more month until she's born. >.<

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I am in the process of looking for a new vet. If I figure out a good method and find one I really like, I will let you know how it happened!
I am going to start with local recommendations and opinions from folks I know or that live near me.

I want one that is open to natural foods and treatments, when available.
Also, not over the top expensive!! There are a few here that think they are worth their weight in gold.....I don't agree!

I am excited for you to be getting your doodle in a couple of months, or so! Wow! I love the little puppy stage!

Good Luck!

8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts