Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on obedience stuff with Digby. We had some "issues" when someone comes to the door he will bark and then lunge at them. My husband came in the house last week and had a hat on (normally doesn't wear one) and was talking as he was coming in the door. I went to greet him (hubby :D )and Digby came up barking and lunged at him.

So I repremanded him, told him "no" and tried to settle him down, which he did. I have been working on a sit and stay command when someone knocks etc. He like all dogs has good days and bad. He seems to forget and it takes at least a month of consistent training to get "it". I have had lots of dogs and he by far is really not the smartest one. My concern is if we can't correct this behavior about going after people that come in the house what else to do? I don't want him to bite anyone, just concerned since he went after hubby. Other than the being too overprotective in the house he is great away from his "territory"

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi there
When you say going after and lunging, can you explain that a little more?
We teach Denver to "go to his mat" when someone comes to the door or when we eat dinner etc. As far as jumping up Denver still does this and it is a work in progress but we are using the command "off" as soon as he starts to jump up and it is starting to work very well. My opinion :) is that these dogs are very smart and not the other way around, but they take a lot of consistency and hard work in the training department but it will pay off very nicely. Once people have been in the house for a little while and Denver seems settled I then use "free" as the command that allows Denver to meet the guests and if he still jumps or is a litle too crazy then it is back to the mat and start all over. Like I said repitition with a happy disposition towards your dog is the way to go.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
All dogs learn differently...sometimes the methods used with one dog, won't work with another...perhaps the method of training you are using is not connecting with Digby. There are so many ways to train. I'd keep trying methods until I found one that works with Digby's particular needs.

I like Sue's "go to your mat" command. My dogs were taught "go to your spot" and "stay in your spot" and I like that a little better than a mat because you can use it anywhere, any time...their "spot" is anywhere I point.

We did not train our dogs to do this...frankly, we had 3 at the time and I did not have a clue as to how to handle the door situation. We had 2 dogs that bolted out the door whenever it opened too...so we took them to a week-long training camp. When we picked them up, they were marvelous! Then the camp trained US to continue to train them.

Seriously, often it isn't he dog's fault when he doesn't learn what we want...more likely it is our method of teaching or our lack of consistency. You need to work with Digby every single day. You don't need to spend a lot of time, just about 15 minutes per day...but teach only one command at a time. Be sure that he sits on command, every time, before you move on to "stay".

Maybe hiring a trainer will help...but I think you have what it takes, you just need to find out what you need to do differently to reach Digby's personal "ah-ha" point. :D

Just a quick note... as I was typing this, all of my dogs (5 of them) were barking furiously in the garage...probably someone delivering a newspaper...and I walked to the door, opened it, and VERY SOFTLY said, "that's enough" and every single dog stopped barking and came into the house. This would not have happened 7 montjhs ago...it took my dogs maturing to get them to understand and obey as well as they do...they are not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination...but they get better every day. It is amazing.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver used to literally have a mat to go to when we trained for "go to your mat". But now mat is just the word that means (to him) go lie down in the spot where the mat used to be,or like you say Jac to the spot to where I point. I just use the word mat instead of spot as it is habit.
It is kind of funny now Jac because when friends are over they just ask if Denver has an imaginery mat or they just straight out ask me if I see a mat in the spot he goes to because they tell me there is not one there.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the ideas. Digby has improved since we got him a year ago (rescue) he is two now and seems he is in his teenage years! He has access to his crate (alway open) so he will go in there by himself when he wants his quiet time. When we are getting ready to go out I will say "in the crate" and he goes of course there is always a treat after that.

We have been working on a seven minute down stay and we have done 5 minutes consistently! Yea!! I think there is hope!

Thanks

Chris :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow, Chris! That is really impressive...I think that maybe you could teach me a thing or two about training...no, I am certain you could!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was going to answer that our doodle is MUCH smarter than we are...
We have given up and had to purchase an expensive trashcan for our kitchen. Every other one we bought Archie has figured out how to open and steals stuff. I can't use an "under the counter" type because I don't have enough cabinet space as it is. Since our carpets are being cleaned this week I thought it was a good investment...hopefully they can get the coffee ground stain out of the family room---Archie stole the filter and gounds out of the trash and dragged them a ways before we realized it---a caffinated doodle puppy---just what we need.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oooh, Annette! That is scary...I am glad you found him with them...not too long ago I read about a dog eating spilled coffee beans, the dog died. So, so sad.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ok...coffee stains on the carpet aren't so bad afterall...so far so good---he hasn't figured out this trashcan but I can tell he's working on it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You mean being more persistant than the doodle and not caving in and buying a trashcan you feel might be doodle-proof?
I think I need a "Person Whisperer".

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Digby knows where his food is kept and treats. He will sit down and "dance" that is sitting on his hind legs and puts both front paws up and seesaws up and down! Does this until he gets a treat. We put it to music one day and were laughing so hard!

We watch the "Dog Whisperer" every friday. We have used a couple of things with Digby and it actually worked. The shhhh thing works good when he tries to pull you when taking a walk.

Just remember "calm submissive", "you are the pack leader" basic common sense, but I think he really trains the people! :wink:

He is amazing. One of my favorite shows!

I have tried some of his things on my horse! SHHHH :lol:

·
Registered
853 Posts
I love the Dog Whisperer, too, and have incorporated several things I've learned from watching him. I got my 7 year old poodle to stop asking to go out in the middle of the night when I heard Cesar say that the pack leader decides when the pack will go to the bathroom. I make sure she goes out before we go to bed, and then if she gets up and acts like she wants to go out, I say "No Sarah" and she stopped asking after a night or two. Once in a while she asks but I tell her no and she goes back to sleep. I felt like I had a baby/toddler when I had to get up 1-2 times a night to let her out. :shock:

G

·
Bella is stubborn just like Dakota. I know she is very smart, but she will only do commands when SHE wants to do them. My 5 y/o calls her the 'King' and it is a very appropriate nickname :lol:
I think we should start a thread called:
"How stubborn is your Doodle?" :lol:
PS: I swear she knows the trainer is coming to start on Friday, she has been so bad all week, like she knows the end of her reign is near.... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
My Daisy, OMG almost 6 months old. Is brilliant... That is for what she wants to learn. Seems like she picks up language and commands that we don't train her for. Yet doesn't quite get the ones I try to train her for. Go figure. For instance, she learned very quickly (2 days) to ring the bell when she wants to go out. This can be a bit annoying when she just wants to go out and not go potty. So I started saying come on Daisy go on the Deck and I would put her on the deck. (Easier for me because it is enclosed and I don't have to go out) Now I say Deck? and she runs to the Deck door :D. Same with "Go to your crate" She just picked it up from me just talking to her. But commands like sit... She only does when I have a treat. In fact if she sees me holding the treat bucket she goes through the entire command chain! I almost think that food is too rewarding. If I have a treat she automatically will sit, lift her paw and go down, covering all bases. No commands need be given! Gotta love her!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts