Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give my pup Merricks Flossie bones.. He loves them.. He sits in one spot, chewing on it.. And it gives me piece of mind if I have to run out for a couple of minutes.. I know he will not in trouble.
But how often should I give him these treats? Is too much, bad?
THanks..

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Our dogs have a bone or two two chew on at all times somewhere in the house. We use beef marrow bones. I tried a Merrick LT Hambone and they cracked and splintered it in less than a minute. Very Dangerous. I am not sure if its just the batch I bought, or just the Hambone, but I dont go near Merrick products. They have a regular bone to chew all the time, We give a new one every other day. We collect them up at the end of the week and start again, or there would be dozens lying around.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We give Tanner the Merrick Tank....I also tried the smaller bones and found he could break them. The Tank's work well for Tanner and he gets a new one about every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am like Annieg.....the Tank knuckle joint bones $3.99 last about 2 weeks

beef marrow bones once in a while but under supervision as they last a about one day in this house hahaaa

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Just tried a tank knuckle bone today. One for each doodle. under 20 minutes, and they had them cracked in 3 pieces, one piece just the right size for choking. No more knuckles. Are my dogs super chewers or do others have problems with bone breakers.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hmmm...maybe you do have super chewers :) Kirby is our power chewer and we give them knuckle bones (just natural, not the tank ones) and he will occasionally get a piece off, but it's normally small. We always keep a close eye on them when they have these...last time Dex cut his mouth on a sharp edge and just kept chewing away...he had no idea he was cut.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Cracking them into pieces is scary......I wouldn't give them the tank again either. Tanner pulls the stuff on the outside of the tank off then chews it a bit but then he puts them in the yard for decoration. He now has three in his secret spot :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
KTodd...wow you must have real super power chewers
cause i usually get the biggest sized Tank bones for my 3
and they grind them down.

in the 1st 30min sometimes a small piece breaks off and i dispose of it, otherwise they're fine. Max is our power chewer but luckily these bones are the only ones he doesn't split to-date.

hope you find something they don't break into pieces

1 - 9 of 9 Posts