Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had Paulie for a week now, and he is a getting a little stinky. I'd like to bathe him, but I read that dogs in general shouldn't be bathed often because it is not good for their skin. How often can I bathe him and also, I'd appreciate any tips.
Also, since you all like photos, I'm posting a few of his latest.
Cheers!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Awwww, he's cute! Do you know when he had his last bath? My vet says about once every 3-4 weeks but if he's stinky, I say go ahead and do it! We're giving Sadie her first bath tonight. She had one the day we got her from the breeder but she needs one and I got a really good, oatmeal based shampoo that is good for her skin/coat.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Goodness, Paulie is so cute.

Our Tanner is bathed by a groomer every 2 weeks. We do this so that she can brush him out to prevent matting. He doesn't have any problems with it. I would just be careful with what you bathing him with as you don't want to dry his skin out. You can also bath him in plain water or use pre-moistened cloths that they sell for dogs to wipe him off.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
here every 3 to 4 weeks UNLESS they roll in deer poop :roll:
and I try NOT to blow dry them unless necessary

I bathe my doodles in a tub, close the glass doors, use hand held spray on warm. They do great...even 2 at a time.

NOTE: once you towel dry your doodle, STAND BACK cause they'll race around the house faster than a greyhound hhhaaaaaaaaa

G

·
I bathe Maya about once a month. I use best shot products. I use a shampoo and conditioner. Maya just sits in the tub and doesn't try to jump out. She hates the blow dryer so she just air drys. Best shot also makes a coat revitalizer spray that I use after big romps or dog daycare.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
wow he is so cute!!

we do about 1x per month too unless someone gets really messy. I also do not blow dry any more - I used to last winter, but I find that towel drying them and just turning the heat up a bit in the house for a few hrs does the trick. I will use sprays in the middle if needed (we use best shot products and I have just wet the dog a little and sprayed the finishing spray on).

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Welcome - Paulie has a very sweet face !

Annabelle gets a bath 2-4 weeks depending on weather and if she gets into something. So far we have had no skin problem bathing her, make sure you rinse Very well - use warm water.

Make sure he is brushed out before you bath him, if he has any matted hair it will be worse when it gets wet

We do use a conditioner for Annabelle then rinse it out very well.

Good luck !

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
IMO,,not more then every 2 weeks, the longer the better though
if he gets stinking you can rinse well get some good smelling conditioner,,i use coconut suave and massage thru the coat, rinse really well!!! use a spray if you can, then waaalaaa no more stinky puppy :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
I must be blessed...well, of course I am since I got Boyd from Nan!! :)

Boyd gets bathed about every 8 weeks. It's amazing - dirt just doesn't stick to him (only to his paws).

I also walk him in the rain which makes him nice and clean!! :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
need to bathe because of peeing in crate...

I bathed him a couple hrs ago. He smells nice and sweet. :) I needed to bathe him because he peed himself in one of his crates for the 2nd day in a row. Here's the deal.. (and maybe I should post as a new topic)
We have 2 crates, one in bedroom, he does just fine there, and the other in family room. The family room one is usually where we leave him when we go away. So far, that has been for no more than an hr and a half at a time.
I think I was giving him too much room in the crate(s) so I moved the divider over to give him less space, and also will try using no pads or blankets and see what happens. We are going to go out to grab a bite to eat tonight so I will see how that works. Am keeping fingers and paws crossed.. :?

G

·
Make sure you clean everything with Nature's miracle to make sure all the smell is gone. Even if you can't smell anything he might be and so he thinks it's fine to go there

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You can try feeding him in the crate he's peeing in after you clean it with the aforementioned enzyme solution. They don't like to eliminate where they eat. Good Luck!

·
Registered
576 Posts
mtd885 said:
You can try feeding him in the crate he's peeing in after you clean it with the aforementioned enzyme solution. They don't like to eliminate where they eat. Good Luck!
Unless you're Sadie who practically peed IN her food bowl yesterday! Not in the crate though (thank goodness!).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good ideas. Will clean with the solution and hope that the saying "Don't @#$% where you eat" will apply! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
JUDYO...peanut OMG was "a pisser" in more ways than one and it took her forever to mature hahahaa
she did get lots of baths in the 1st few months

max and beau no problem

it's all a trial and error learning time for both doodle and family

NANCY suave is a great clarifying shampoo ...dave uses the same kind, now does that mean he's a doodle too? :wink:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Good question! Bogie has had only one bath in 5 weeks and he's a little ripe at times too.........but honestly, I think it's his ears!! Really stinky ears.........
So........I can bathe him at least every 3-4 weeks??

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Good question! Bogie has had only one bath in 5 weeks and he's a little ripe at times too.........but honestly, I think it's his ears!! Really stinky ears.........
So........I can bathe him at least every 3-4 weeks??
I would make sure the smell from his ears isn't an infection or anything. You should clean them out separately (and more often) than baths (sorry if I"m telling you stuff you know already) :)

I don't think every 3 weeks would hurt for a bath. I just wouldn't blow dry him :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
As for the stinky ears, definitely get them checked out!

Wesley had stinky ears for a long time and because I didn't know any better, and he wasn't scratching or anything, I just kept trying to clean them.

The vet taught me how to clean them correctly and gave me a topical solution to put in them and now they don't smell at all. It was a mild infection, but very stinky!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:cry: I think it's a separation issue... we just returned from a brief dinner and he was wet in his padless, just the right size crate. oh-ugh....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts