Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know poodles aren't supposed to smell, but Moses has poor aim when he lifts his leg and ends up getting his front legs all stinky so needs to get cleaned fairly often.

No one wants to be around a urine odor!
So how often do your dogs get baths? I seem to be doing this too often with his bad aim problem.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Tink
In the summer I don't worry about bathing Dakota because he swims every day. In the cooler weather I do bathe him, but infrequently. Maybe 3-4 times total. He NEEDS a bath now, though because when we were at the lake he romped in the dirt alot so he smells like dirt! I put him in the shower with me tomorrow . . .

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Tink ever think of using baby wipes to wipe him off inbetween baths?

Max and Peanut during cold months get a bath every 2 weeks to 3 weeks

otherwise during the summer they're rinsed off alot from the pool and creek. I also use conditioner too afterwards

Max could go almost a month, peanut OMG she stinks from Max slobbering and wet bearding her daily......once again i use baby wipes on her to keep her fresh smelling

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Not sure if this will work on urine odor or not but my Vet says for dirty paws just use plain water to rinse that way you don't dry out the skin. Another thing you could do is just bathe the legs and don't use a dryer on them, that also drys out the skin. :?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Linda
I don't blowdry him 'cause he loves to be towel dried. He's a big baby and just sucks up any attention he can get. So the only time he's been blow dried is at the groomers. :lol:

I wish there was a way to help him improve his aim! We don't have to worry about our car wheels though, 'cause he never hits 'em!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
It varies but if Annabelle hasnt rolled in anything, she can go a month without a bath and do ok.

I keep baby wipes handy and I also will take a microfiber cloth, soak it in warm water and rub her down in between baths just to get the dust/allergens off of her

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner, with daily brushing, 4-6 weeks. Right now I am afraid to bath him. I don't want him to mat. I may have the goomer just bath and brush him next week. He stays clean and never smells :) :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
In the fall/winter/spring we bathe them about once a month. In between, they'll get partial washings depending on how dirty they are (normally I just need to wash the paws/legs and sometimes underbelly).

In the summer it depends - we hose off Dexter a lot so somewhat less frequently. Kirby is afraid of the hose so he goes in the tub more often...then again, he'a afraid of the tub too, but less so than he is of the hose :D

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
With Cinnamon we have to worry about her dry skin and her allergies. We go by the itch factor. When she starts to scratch a lot more than usual, she gets a bath in cool water. It helps her so much, washes the allergens off and soothes her skin. She gets rinsed after a swim in the lake (she smells like fish after a swim). I'd guess she gets bathed every 2 weeks in the summer and once a month in the winter.

We use shampoo with tea tree oil followed by a conditioner with tea tree oil. Anything else is useless.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ginny gets a bath about once a week because she's smelly. She's a submissive pee'er so I think that gets on her from time to time. So far we haven't had any problems with dry skin or allergies. We use Buddy Wash or Best Shot shampoos and conditioners. And she gets brushed out before washing. We don't use a hair dryer. Just a towel and then a lot of rolling around on the carpet.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We only bath hershey when she gets dirty and we cant wait for her to dry off and comb it out, so we pop her in the tub and use a puppy shampoo (about once a month). I usually try to organise our walks so they end near a lake or river if its nice outside, or go to a park that doesnt have something dirty to get into. We are lucky she isnt much or a digger, she prefers fetch and wrestle which are relatively clean games in the right locations. We do use a spray on leave in conditioner with tea tree oil regularily, it keeps her smelling nice and not like a wet dog or slobbered on dog, and if softens her hair coat up a little.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ebbe gets a 'once-a-month' bath whether she needs it or not :?. Right.

In between times (when dust or slobber is apparent) I use puppy wipes purchased at Target.
They are very fresh, but not perfumy or lingering and are not expensive.
They effectively get rid of surface dirt and odors and her coat looks so much nicer.
I use two, give her a massage and then a brush! She attempts to eat them :roll: Blah!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts