Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please someone tell me I can give him a bath once a week and hose his legs down on the days inbetween? I really don't want to make him itchy or loose all his natural oils on his skin. If it helps to know, his coat looks like a mix of all of them - very scraggly outer coat, and a curly & fleecy under coat. He eats everything between his paws (no matter what it is) so food is ground into his coat on his legs, making them all sticky mess. And I live on a big sandbar so he is always covered in sand. Factor that in with the fact he is a baby and plays like a baby... You get a dirty doodle!

Thanks!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi Kristin,

We bathe Dexter once a month. We were told that their skin will get dry if you wash them much more than that. However we wash his paws (and legs if necessary) with water almost everyday! Also we just found that baby wipes are great for wiping off his paws (and is easier than getting him upstairs and into the tub). I also sometimes spray him with cologne in between if he starts smelling.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried using both wipes and water on his legs - it works to remove the loose dirt/sand, but does nothing for the stickyness. I seem to be only able to get that out with shampoo.

Ugh... oh well. I'll just deal I guess!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
water won't dry his skin. Nothing wrong with a nice warm rinse as needed between baths
So true!!!
Denver swims at least three times a week and I
rinse him off with warm water when we get home
as well as wiping out his ears, so no moisture stays in.
I bathe him once a month.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
A bath once a week is fine...although I have found that it isn't really necessary....unless they stink! A good brushing will clean my dogs right up, and they love to be brushed.
My doods have been so caked with mud that I almost cried...but after it dried (and turned my house into the dust bowl of northern CA) I could brush them and they would simply shine! (I can now grow produce in the dirt on my pinao, however...but that's another story...)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
sessa35 said:
but as jac said, we'd be able to plant a corn row in the places she lays down
OMG I read this fast and thought it said something to the effect of having to do cornrows on Mija....

I need more tea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts