Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any advise? On Weds I was taking Maya for a walk and this skinny pathetic puppy kept following Maya and I. Maya went up to her and she (puppy) immediately peed and then took a few steps and rolled over on her back. I was worried Maya would hurt her so I tried to keep them seperated. Maya and I went on with our walk and puppy still followed. I tried to take her back to the house that I thought she came from and no one answered the door but I knew they were home. So we left and now I have a puppy. I kept her for the night and called animal control in the morning. I took her there so they could find her a good home. She was a gentle quiet puppy that really only wants to curl up on you and be petted. Animal control said she looked like she had pit bull in her and they would euthanize her immediately!!!! You should have seen the horror on my face. This dog still has puppy teeth and is very laid back. So I took the puppy with me and called the vet made an appointment to get shots and de-flead and make sure it was fine to have her around Maya. Also asked the vet if he thought there was pit bull in her (as that makes me a little wary) and he said he didn't think so. So Sadie as she has been named is now living in my garage and will move into the house tomorrow (per vet's instruction). I really have many reasons I cannot keep Sadie some very valid and some selfish but it is awfully hard when she does her puppy trot up to you and lays her head in your lap and just closes her eyes. I will post pics tomorrow so any way any advise on how not to fall in love and if you know of anyone looking for a pup in NC please let me know!!!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
First off SHAME on your animal control people!!

Second....bless you for caring enough to save her! That was enough to make me cry (yes, I'm a big baby!). I wish I had advice how to not fall in love with a foster. Is there a "no-kill" shelter in your area? I found this on line....
New Hanover Humane Society, Inc.

2405 N. 23rd Street
wilmington, North Carolina 28401
Phone: 910-763-6692
Fax: 910-763-2890
Email: [email protected]

Please keep us posted......and once again thanks for being some a wonderful person!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OH Heather, you sound like me and many others
I hope you either find her a home soon and/or another rescue that may take her in

at 9yrs old that's how i started fostering, my parents would let me get the stray trained, cleaned up, and then I always found a home for the dogs (and cats) I fostered. I still do it to this day

·
Registered
174 Posts
What a sad story. She sounds like a sweet, sweet pup! I personally think you will feel a lot better if you place her into a home yourself, instead of dropping her off at a shelter-type of place. Keep getting the word out that she needs a home and I'm sure you will find just the right person for her and then you will feel so good about homing her that it will help you feel better about giving her up. Tell your vet and see if they will allow you to put a notice in their office. Just spread the word like crazy to everyone you know. Good luck! Sending positive thoughts your way that the perfect person will come into her life soon!!!!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
For me it was easier to give up a foster dog knowing it was going to a good home. I agree that you might do better searching for a home yourself.

You may also want to search for the owner. Someone might be looking for their pup right now! Perhaps you can put up posters in the neighborhood on pet store and grocery store bulletin boards. Also leave your name and the dog's info with animal control and any vets or shelters in the area.

It's good that you found this girl and are taking care of her. :)

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I just got a call this morning, seems there's a black f1 labradoodle that our town dog warden picked up but no one knows who's doodle it is :cry: and if we don't find the owners it will go to a really good shelter here
called Lollipop farm.

I've been making a few calls and so has my breeder.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

Gene that is where I took Sadie. So she is not going there. I have tried to search for the owners. But up flyers in my neighborhood and an ad in the paper. However this lil one is so skinny I don't think she had a home (well at least I hope she didn't). I have called every shelter I can find. No one is available to take a dog. I am going to put flyers in the vet's offices. Til I find her a home I need to work hard on not falling for her. She is a love bug!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Sorry Heather....they didn't come across like that on their web site. My cousin just did this with a stray that appeared at her business. Good luck to you...you have a huge heart!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Bless you for caring enough to help this poor little one.
I've done a lot of the same over the years, starting like Annmarie at a very young age. My mother still insists that's how I ended up with my first husband! Thank God I was finally able to re-home him as well. :lol:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
My mother still insists that's how I ended up with my first husband! Thank God I was finally able to re-home him as well.

bahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
That is the post of the day

and back to the topic, I do not know how you
do not fall in love as I have nine cats who some originally
were maybe going to be fosters(yeah right)
What a great heart you have!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Heather,

Well, you couldn't have done anything else, but what you did.
I believe you will find a home for Sadie....you may fall for her, but if keeping her isn't the answer, then it will be OK to fall for her AND re-home her!! Someone will be made known to you, or cross your path.
I hate that there isn't a no kill shelter nearby....that's extremely sad.

Sue, I agree with you...Tink's post was the best today!!
8)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I believe Raleigh has a ton of no kill shelters and dog rescues. Maybe you could contact some of them over here and see if someone will take the pup. I know it may be a bit of a drive, but might be worth it.

Try Craigslist, too.

Also, we were at one of our local dog parks last week and a lady came in wearing scrubs and holding a puppy. We got to talking and she was from a nearby animal hospital. She said that they get a puppy dropped off about once a month at their door. So she brings the dog to the park for play time and almost always gets a new home for it within a few weeks! Great advertising!!

You have done a wonderful thing. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
oops - double post! Shows how looney I am lately!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I know how! (said as I run away from home, screaming)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have worked at heard about so called "no kill shelters". They have no choice but to humanely put down some dogs and cats. They do it very discreatly and always label them as vicious or un adobtable. They get more funding and donations as a "no kill shelter".

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, that's depressing....good to know, but man, what is done for funding is rotten! why not do fundraisers more often instead? geesh.
:(

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i ve fallen in luv with every stray the kids have brought home..

they seem to really appreciate being welcomed into a new family and
it s so hard to let them go once the owner s have been found..

yes, ive shed more than a tear in the past when waving good-by to
dog who has just been picked up..but, i think i would nt be a good
doggie parent if i did nt.. :cry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts