Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I got Maya when she was 3.5 months. She weighed 27 lbs when I got her. I took her in when she was 4 months and she weighed about 29lbs. She has been having problems with soft stools and she is now on her 3rd type of food (Blue Buffalo) and yogart with every meal. I am going to give her pumpkin tonight to see if that helps. I have also given her a round of metrodiazole (sp?) and panacur. Neither have helped the soft stools. I am starting to get worried. The vet wants to try another round of panacur and if that doesn't work a stronger worm medicine. Her stool samples were negative so I am not sure I want to give her more drugs She is active for the most part and doesn't act sick and she doesn't look emancipated but to me she doesn't look like she is getting any bigger either. Any advise would be welcome...

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Has she been tested for giardia? Dakota had it and I was told that it doesn't normally show up in tests performed at the vet's office and the samples have to be sent to a lab. Dakota's only symptom was soft stools. However, it didn't seem to affect his weight gain. I did find his weight gain to be in spurts rather than incrementally.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
heather...you can pm if you want as I ended up cooking for Max for 4mos due to soft to diarrhea stools, took us 6 foods till we found one he could tolerate well, and had tested negative to everything BUT
one time we decided to treat him for whipworms and giardia just in case as they don't always show up on tests

Max is now on Canidae but also had tremendous results with a customized bland diet

·
Registered
728 Posts
Heather, does the yogurt you feed Maya have active cultures? It will say so in the ingredient list if it does. If not, I would try changing brands to one that does. It's the bacteria, or active cultures, that helps to firm up the stool. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
What worked best for Jonah was pepto tablets after every loose stool. When he was a little older than yours, the wormer made his stools even looser. Finally took the pepto route and changed to Canidae....no problems since!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the yogart has active bacteria. I had her on Canidae when I first ot her and that made her stools soft and she was going 4+ times a day. With Blue Buffalo we are down to 3 times with the first stool of the day being normal. I gave her pumpkin tonight and I think I created a monster....she went in the garbage after the can....Right after she ate she had diarreha so we will see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully the pumpkin works.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
One thing about Canidae is if you feed to much they will have soft stools, when I started feeding it I followed the portions, then over time I started adding a little more and a little more and all of a sudden I had dogs with Mash potatoe stools I talked to the store where I was buying it and she told me I was feeding to much I went back to the normal portions and firm stools.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
speak to your vet (or perhaps another vet) I would suggest you start her on a simple type of food such as hills prescription diet duck and potato (natural balance has a duck and potato also not sure off all the extra ingredients but someone here may have had personal experience with it) then get her stabilized and go from there to another food. this is what I had luck with and then switched gradually to nutro natural choice sensitive stomach (you of course can switch to any good food with great ingredients). you will not get instant results with a switch so you have to use patience a little. I would cut out the other things (all treats, yogurt etc) so you can focus on a few ingredients then expand from there. The diet ann marie (maxnme) did worked real well for her and then she gradually introduced food. its the same concept except for me the food from the vet was easier :) I wouldnt give more medication, it can be contributing to her soft stools.

hope all the advice here helps you formulate a plan that works for you guys. Hang in there it will work I promise!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi,

Our Dexter (and Kirby) are on Natural Balance Duck & Potato because of Dexter's food allergies. Kirby's poops are good - Dexter's still are a little soft. He was better on Canidae. But this keeps his ears from getting infected so we stick with it.

Not to be gross, but how soft are the poops? Dexter had very soft ones when he was a puppy and now as an adult it's better, but still not great. He just seems to have a poodle tummy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I did a lot of research on the internet before posting the question....and one of the sites I read said the stool is like pudding and that is what Maya had....not completely runny but not formed either. I gave her the pumpkin and she had great stools yesterday and then this morning she had some pudding ones. However she was in the salt water swimming most of yesterday so it could be from swallowing sea water. I am going to see how today goes. (I did give her biled chicken as treats so maybe that was it too)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
heather

have you had her stools checked recently? for worms,rounds hooks whips ,,and coccidia or giardia
they reinfest themselves with worms so you have to get on a regular worm schedule
I use panacur or safeguard for 3 days in cases like this

If any of my dogs or pups have this puddin stuff its a indication of worms typically (unless you changed food recently)
safeguard for goats can be purchased from any farm store normally
or you can take a fecal in and just get it checked they can send home meds for you likly drontal
I would recommend taking it in in the am ,,,nip it in the bud
until then rice ,chicken and about a tablespoon or 2 of pure pumpkin 2 to 3times per day

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver eats Canidae and has no problem with soft stools,
regardless of the amount he eats.
Just shows each dog is different and you will find
what works with your dog.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Nancy it is not worms....(at least I do not think) she has two fecal tests done both were negtive and she was given a round of panacur last week just to be safe. No help. I am going to give her more pumpkin with her meal tonight. I'm lucky that she loves it!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts