Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shelly is 4 1/2 months and drinks constantly, I know they should have water available at all times especially since I'm feeding her dry dog food but she is literally peeing every 1/2 hour or so....should I limit her water intake or continue to leave it out and deal with the peeing? I know that puppy's don't have full control of their bladders until 6 months but she absolutely knows where she is supposed to go, it's just a matter of getting my attention every 1/2 hour when she has to go. It certainly makes for frequent accidents in the house and when she does go outside she pees 5-6 times.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had the same problem with my puppy (layla) drinking too much water.
The vet did some bloodwork and in fact she had raised "alk phosphate" levels which could be related to liver. Not to worry, they are also related to bone which it is common to have high in a growing puppy. Anyways, we monitored her and everything came around and she started drinking a bit less water and things were fine. Your puppy is probably fine, but wouldn't hurt to mention it to a vet, just to be on the safe side. He might not even worry about it.
The peeing 5-6 times sounds like she might have a UTI. Layla also had a couple of those when she was small. Might want to get a urine sample to the vet to rule that out too.
Finally, I noticed in another post you thought about switching to innova evo. When my puppy's blookd tests were a little off, to be on the safe side, I stayed with something with a more moderate protein level. (20-25%). Higher protein can be harder for the liver to process and if it is slightly off at all, might make it harder. Can also in some cases be hard on a young pups tummy, although some have no problem at all. I have Layla on Innova puppy, just the regular innova, not evo. It works well for her and she loves it.
Sorry for the long answers, thought i might as well share since i just went through all of this. Good news is, she's 10 months old and happy as can be. Your puppy will be just fine!!!!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'd prob go to vet to be on safe side - you can take an old pan or bowl and stand behind her to catch some pee before you take her to Vet and have it checked for UTI, thats a lot of peeing in one trip outside. I always err on the side of caution and go to Vet when I'm concerned about something with my furbabies

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I would check for a UTI just to be safe.
ditto and the old pan trick works great :wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys sooo much! I'm actually in nursing school right now and I immediatly think the worst when something goes wrong with my kids or my dogs so my first thoughts were diabetes but the UTI totally makes since as well. I have also been reading up on the protein in relation to large breed puppies and the problems it can cause with the liver and bone growth. I will def. be going with something in the 20% protein range on her food, either the innova puppy or the all stages canidae. I'm also going to call my vet in the AM and see about taking a urine sample up there and getting some blood work done. Does anyone know if the urine has to be refrigerated or kept at room temp? I know with people it just depends on the type of test they are doing as to what temp they need the urine to be. The only other thing I thought it could be is that my other dog has learned to "mark territory" wherever she goes so she pee's a little here and there and I thought maybe Shelly had picked up on that....I will have her checked out to be on the safe side. You guys are great!

·
Registered
140 Posts
tashapeterson29 said:
Does anyone know if the urine has to be refrigerated or kept at room temp? I know with people it just depends on the type of test they are doing as to what temp they need the urine to be.
I can't say for sure, but my vet says he needs a fresh one. I once took one in from the morning that had been refrigerated and they said it was no good. I don't know if that's the case all the time. Best to ask the vet.

Good luck! I'm sure it will be nothing serious. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts