Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started off feeding Abbey Natures Max dry food. 1/2 cup three times a day. Then she got Guardia and the vet told us to feed her this special bland (looks like a lot of rise) canned food. So I feed her about 1/2 cup plus a couple of TSP of cottage cheese three times a day. But she seems starving. Bugs me to eat all the time.

So how much should you feed a 12 week old 9.4 lb doodle?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Can't help you out Barbara, but maybe one of the breeders can...I don't remember how much we fed Raleigh at 12 weeks, but I think it was at least a cup at each feeding, three times a day, and he gobbled every last crumb..now at a year he gets 1 1/2 cups morning and evening...hope Abbey gets better soon!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I dont recall how much we put out for Annabelle either - we have always free fed her

If the vet had Abbey on a special canned diet, I would call them and ask what they want her to have, let them know she still appears hungry

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
At that age Denver was easily getting
4 cups a day which increased to 6 cups pretty quick after that.
How much does your vet say to feed??????????

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie was eating the same amount when he weighed ten pounds as he does now at nearly 50 pounds. He always seemed to be hungry and he was very active. He also pooped alot probably because we fed him too much.

You need to check the recommended amounts for the specific food you are using. If it contains alot of rice, however, I would guess the puppy needs more than if it were protein rich.

Deb

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Really it depends on the food your feeding the more fillers in the food the more you have to feed it should say on the back of the bag, the better the food the less you feed, I feed Canidae and it is a very good food.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
A suggestion

Feed her dry food moistened with water,,(dry food you are feeding, in cup let float with water about a inch,,put in microwave to get hot,,let sit for 30min to absorb all the water, ,, rice chicken ,,mix together, feed her as much as she wants, after that leave dry food out so she can nibble thruout the day,, this i have found is the best way to put weight on,(see sounds to small at this point)
if you would like to email me i may be able to help happy to if i can

the cottage cheese helps but can cause diarreha if given to much can food can do the same thing
actuallly anne marie has a awsome diet she used for one of her dogs im sure its posted somewhere just dont know where

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Barbara i don't feed canned but
when on bland diets in past and/or on dry dogfood

Beau who is 16 weeks eats 3.5 to 4 cups a day.......so did Max
and peanut ate 3 cups a day

Good thing checking with your vet :D :D :D :D

Here's an overview of the customized bland diet Max had for 4mos..you might want to discuss with your vet though:

boiled rice,chicken, beef and venison
( max didnt digest lamb )
sometimes oatmeal

1 teaspoon of canned pumpkin w/ea meal 3 times a day

1 1/4in slice of sweet potato or yam
can alternate with 1 teaspoon of pineapple in ea meal

Omega 3 fish oil capsule brokeopen and sprinked on food--1x a day

ask VET but i used papaya chewable tablets 1 x a day with meals as it is a digestive enzyme that aids in absorbing FAT, Protein & carbs via intestinal walls and NOT passing thru as poop immediately

and would a few time a week give either cottage cheese or yougurt but only a teaspoon as Max had a tendency to fart alot otherwise hahahaa

now i'd do a ratio of 2 parts rice or oatmeal
ie: 1 cup oatmeal and use 1/2 cup of chicken then mix in other ingredients above and mix together, scoop out with measuring cup and serve with bib, napkin and nice food bowl :wink:

OH once every 7 to 10 days i'd boil in a saucepan some chicken liver and sometimes even trout

DAVE and my son at one point said i fed the doodles better than them hahaha

NOTE : rice is a filler , i found the oatmeal to do better when max stayed on a prolonged bland diet
green beans can be added too

AND No treats at all ...no bully sticks, no rawhides, etc
ONLY treats were the food listed above

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Annemarie,

Thanks for the feeding tips. You gave me some good ideas. Abbey's stools are getting better. Currently no urgent need to get outside to eliminate.

We took her to a family dinner last night. Lots of adults and kids. She did great. We kept her near us (on lease) on the patio pre-dinner so she was able to visit. Went into her crate during dinner. Later we brought her out and she sat on various laps for a while before returning to her crate for the ride home.

Abbey is signed up for a puppy class starting in a couple of weeks. She has to be rid of the Guardia in order to participate. So we are keeping our fingers crossed that she passes her next test.

The tips from you folks on the board are really helping. It's been a long time since we've had a pup. And it is so important that we give her a good start.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Glad she is getting better - she is such a pretty little girl!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts