Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some of the recent threads about giving doodles fish oil or flaxseed oil to help with itching. Tyke has been scratching more and more the past couple of weeks - I suspect the drier air from running the heater in the house may have aggravated it. I got some of the flaxseed oil caplets to try in her food, but I was wondering how much she would need? She still eats 3 meals a day - would it be ok to put a caplet in each meal, or is that too much? Tyke is 4 mos. old now and about 22 lbs.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon is almost 3 yrs old, she gets 2000 mg a day. I'd say Tyke probably doesn't need that much right now. Start with a lower dose, 1000mg once a day (or whatever mg you have). Chose your time. Sometimes when they have the 1200mg on sale I'll get that and Cinnamon will get extra everyday. Doesn't seem to hurt her to have the extra, just seems she needs a bath more often. I think it's the oils in her skin. It's a fine line!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Cinsmom ( and Cinnamon too!)
I did get the 1000mg caplets and gave her one with her breakfast, so she should be set for the day. Tyke LOVES a bath anyway, so bathing her more frequently won't be a problem at all. She will see that as a plus!

·
Registered
560 Posts
My breeder also said to put a few drops of pure tea tree oil in the bathwater to help with itchiness. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I do it anyways. I haven't tried the flaxseed oil yet but may have to as Bailey seems quite itchy at times too.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tea tree oil is a good idea - I also have some shampoo that our vet gave us last year for our Eskie. I think it has oatmeal in it to help with the itching. I may have to wait for a trip to Charleston for the tea tree oil - I'm betting nobody here in little ole' Walterboro would even know what I was talking about!!! :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Barker is 18 months now and I am using a mix of 1 part AVON oil bath and 20 parts water into a spray bottle and just spray on him and after I brush just to get the solution on him skin.It helps him a lot with the dry air from the heater.I am doing that every night before he is going to bed. When he gets a bath I also put a cap of Avon oil in the tub.Ans also he is smelling so nice.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea! I may have to try that - Tyke will think she's using perfume!!!
By the way, Barker is gorgeous! He looks like Tyke's cousin Shoney!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I use Omega 3fish oil --- 1000 mg daily on their food in the past
for Max
the TEA TREE oil does help alliviate itching...it works wonders for even us humans with bug bites when in florida, those litte black bugs that make you want to scream with itching.

I cannot take antihistimines due to a life threatening allergy, tea tree oil works wonders and is safe for dogs

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
tykesmom said:
The tea tree oil is a good idea - I also have some shampoo that our vet gave us last year for our Eskie. I think it has oatmeal in it to help with the itching. I may have to wait for a trip to Charleston for the tea tree oil - I'm betting nobody here in little ole' Walterboro would even know what I was talking about!!! :wink:
If you have some sort of pet store in town, they should have "Hot Spot" brand shampoo & an itch spray. They both have tea tree oil in them. My vet carries it too.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We do have a Petco that opened recently, and I saw tea tree oil shampoo in Fosters and Smith's catalog (Tyke was picking out her Christmas presents!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tegan is very itchy also. She always has been. I will try the flax seed or fish oil and maybe some tea tree oil. I bought that when I got the hives following the flu last December and it worked a treat on me.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Julie, I love your avatar!

Our groomer swears by coconut oil for itches. She feels that it's a terrific antioxidant and helps with allergies, too. She gives her dogs about a tablespoonful twice a day. It's kind of the texture of Crisco, but a bit more crumbly, and Chouette loves it, but it doesn't mix very well with her kibble. Maybe if I microwaved it....She usually just scarfs it off the top.

Leslie

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting about the cocoanut oil Leslie. Is it the same stuff you would buy in the grocery store for Asian cooking or mixing cocoanut drinks with?

A couple of weeks ago I started to mix a sardine in with Tegan's kibbles twice a day. When we visited the vet last Friday I asked if this was OK and she thought it was an excellent idea and Tegan loves it too. Sardines are cheap, I can find them for between 50 - 68 cents a can if I shop around (Army & Navy or Superstore for those Canadians out there).

We had our first shampoo session with the anti-fungus (dandruff) shampoo tonight and it went very well. I only did her feet, chin, neck and chest and then the finishing rinse with tea tree oil in the water. I did only leave it on for about 2 mins. instead of the recommended 10 but we will see how it goes.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Julie, I haven't seen coconut oil in the supermarket; I get it at the health food store. If the kind you're seeing is the same consistency I described it must be the same thing, though.

Chouette loves her fish oil capsules. They're 1200 mgs each and I give her one in the morning. She picks it off the top of her kibble and takes it over to her bed where she can savor it!

Leslie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts