Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sammy is two years old...
How much time should we let him out to play with him?

On the weekends we go out almost all day, but during the week things are so busy that it is hard to give him a few hours in a row. Mostly his outdoor playtime gets broken into smaller incriments... The summer is going to be much better as we are home all day.

So about how much time a day should a young doggie like him exercise?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
During the week our 1.5 yr old doodles get a 1 mile walk in the am and then once we get home from work (weather permitting) they are outside for 30 min (winter) up to 1-2 hrs (summer). They also run around the house and wrestle :)

Your dog will let you know how much he needs. Our doodles got about 1 hr of good exercise today (walk/dog park) and they have been passed out since we got home.

·
Registered
148 Posts
According the the dog whisperer they should get two 45 minute walks minimum. Rosie gets two 45 minute to an hour walks plus either playtime at the beach or the dog park. We live in an apartment so there is not tons of room for doodle 500s but we have space enough to indoor fetch and the "find the toy" game.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Pixie usually gets one long walk in the middle of the day, about a mile, with some time in one of the dog parks most days. That seems to be enough exercise for her.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think the walks are great but they don't give Tanner all the exercise that he needs. On days that he doesn't go to daycare, Tanner usually gets 2 walks 1-1/2 miles. He still needs more exercise than that.

I find that if I play fetch with him using the Chuckit ball and play until his tongue is hanging out, at that point he will catch the ball then lay down with it....that is when I know he has had enough.

Walks or hikes where he can be off leash and run back and forth also will tire him out.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When Sammy lies down with his toy and his tongue is hanging out, it means he wants us to chase him!!! :D

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
My bad........I usually walk Bogie 2-3 miles a day if he isn't playing at Puppy Day care and he's only 5 months old.
I know many think this is too much, but two vets have said it's okay. :roll:
I just LOVE walking him! I won't do my 5 mile with him until he's at least a year old. I would think by 2, Sammy should be fine to do whatever he can tolerate.......IMO.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Lucas is 7.5 months and on non-daycare days he gets 2 or 3, 45 min to 1 hour walks... plus fetch... he is okay if he gets less, but MUCH better the more he gets...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we play a lot with his after school and my brother tries to go out for a little before we leave, but I feel like he isn't getting enough. He seems okay though, but he lounges around a lot and we don't want him to get too lazy. In the summer he'll have PLENTY of excercise though. All our vacations are planned around him coming with the fam!!!

Its tiring when he wont bring back his ball or toy and only wants you to chase him the whole time! Lol...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sammy-Doo's Fam said:
Its tiring when he wont bring back his ball or toy and only wants you to chase him the whole time! Lol...
Maybe you can try this... if he has a particular ball/toy that he likes to fetch, get another just like it (really good with a squeaker) when he retrieves the first, get his interest with the second, when he drops the first because his interest in the second, then throw the second... did that make any sense at all... hope so... anyway, soon he will almost throw the one he just retrieved to you, so he can prepare for the next...

I am sorry, if I am writing in circles... I have had a very long day :cry:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Holly is friends with a border collie who has an almost obsessive desire to fetch and retrieve things...in fact, when Holly sees him, she runs and finds a stick for him to fetch! On our daily morning walks Scout (the border collie) usually tags along with us and he will fetch his stick or ball until my arm gets too tired (or I can't stand the drool).

I have worked with Holly to get her to retrieve. She loves to chase the thrown object, but then she wants to lie down and chew it, or run off with it inthe hopes that I will chase her. :) Maybe it's a doodle thing? You'd think with the Lab genes they would be better at retrieving! She will fetch and retrieve quite nicely, but only if she knows there are treats involved for a successful retrieve. If my pockets are empty, then she's off with the toy. :)

As for exercise: Holly and I take a 30-45 min walk in the morning (she is off leash for most of it, since we're on a country back road or in the woods-- she is very good about coming when called). Later in the afternoon we take another walk or play fetch/chase. When the kids come home, they usually take her outside to play with them and she gets pretty worn out chasing after them and playing ball, exploring in the woods, etc. And lately my husband has been taking her for a short 10-15 min walk when he gets home. We all agree that the dog has been wonderful in getting all of us outside and exercising!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I've had 2 labradoodles. My first was never interested in fetching. Tanner loves to fetch...his specialty is to use 2 balls. He will wait until you thrown the second to go after them.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I've had 2 labradoodles. My first was never interested in fetching. Tanner loves to fetch...his specialty is to use 2 balls. He will wait until you thrown the second to go after them.
Kirby and Dexter love doing this too! Dexter has a tendancy to fetch the ball and then try to turn it into a game of chase. We got tough with him yesterday and actually had him dropping it at our feet (he knows and understands us totally, but just has selective listening). He is learning if he doesn't drop the ball, there is no play (just him running around by himself).

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I think that the "Chuck-It" is the greatest invention since the wheel - at least for a doodle owner! You can let your doodle expend all the energy, get tons of exercise, with little effort yourself! I usually take Tyke out for about a 30-minute game during lunch, which will hold her until work is over, when I take her for a 2-3 mile walk. She is so obsessed with Chuck-It now that she will actually go and get the ball and stick and bring the whole thing to me when she wants to play!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, I second the vote for the Chuck-It. Whoever invented that thing needs to be nominated for sainthood!

Callie and I go for one good walk a day (4-6 kilometres) and she gets 2 or 3 15-30 minute sessions with her Chuck-It in the back field. It takes that much to wear her out. Any less, and she can be a bit of an orangutan. The round with the Chuck-It before our walk helps her work out her Doodle 500's.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Got a visual ....

LOL.

Cow pie poops? Love your descriptions... I actually got a "visual" on that one. Thanks for the good laugh... I needed it -- rough day. I just love this place. Always makes me go to sleep smilen -- just knowin there really are "other" little doodle devils out there. (can you tell I have a VERY young puppy?)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Toby get s a qtr. mile walk to the dog park and then get s to romp around with his buddies..a big black lab and a boxer that seem s to be on roids :? ..they go at it for a half hr then it s back home..i just wonder if he s getting too much exercise..he s only 5 mos.

i can understand the cow pie s..so i give him a few ice-cube s when we get home and when he cool s off a little water..

·
Registered
204 Posts
We take Abbey for an hour walk every morning. If she's lucky she also gets some playtime with one of her doggie friends. In the late afternoon we take her outside and play fetch. She loves fetch. I've never heard of the chuck it, I'm going to have to look for it. During the day she also does yard patrol. We have a dog door she takes advantage of. So we think she gets lots of exercise. She still has plenty of energy to spare.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OH the KONG frisbee is awesome!!! and here i also find besides letting our doodles run out back
playing fetch for 30 to 45min completely wears them out. I do this in morning and in evening on daily basis.

also the KONG ball is another favorite that isn't chewed or shredded to bits

1 - 20 of 21 Posts