Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new puppy weighs only 5 lbs at 9 weeks.
Vet said she is healthy but underweight, and should put on some weight with the Nutro Max for Puppy that we are now feeding.
We didn't think to ask, but are now curious how much she should weigh.
Any idea, or how much did your puppy weigh at this age?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I got Max at 13wks old weighing in at 28lbs at 18.5in tall

AT 17-18 weeks old Max was 35lbs and 20 in tall

he's 20 wks now, approx 43lbs...and I am not meausing his height, as we find out how tall he is when he gets up on things :wink:

thought maybe it could be a guide...though Max is tending to be more of a big boy.

Also they are varying sizes for doodles, minis, medium and what I call large/standard. What were the sizes of the other littermates, mom and dad?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
what size are her parents?

is she meant to be a standard I guess is what I am asking?
I have a chunky monkey from this litter that is like 12 pounds - eeek!!
(and her puppy mom is so happy!)

I had a few 5 pounds at 8 weeks from last litter.

My mommy dog is 38 pounds and daddy is 66. Thats why I am asking because it can vary.

Of course if your vet says she should put a little weight on maybe he sees something that would have him say that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ruby weighed only about 6 pounds or so around 9 weeks. My vet also said she was skinny. Within a few weeks she filled out with no problem. Ruby is now almost 17 weeks old and weighs 23-1/2 pounds. I'd continue to follow the puppy's weight gain for a while. I bet she'll be fine. It sounds like doodles can really vary in size/weight.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm not sure that a pup's age is the best way to determine if their weight is ok, height might be a factor, as doodles vary so much. Is the pup a mini, medium or standard?

My Lexi is an F1 "mini" Her mother is a lab, and father a mini poodle. She will probably be a medium sized dog. The vet expects her to grow to be in the 40-45lb range. Although she seems to growing by leaps and bounds since our last visit 2 weeks ago.

Lexi was 7.4 lbs at when we got her at 9 weeks.

She was 11.4 lbs. by her second vet visit at 12 weeks, but I won't be suprised if she shoots to be 20 lbs by our next visit at 16 weeks. (the vet might change his projection)

Your vet will offer the best advice to keep your pup strong and well.

Keep us up to date!

Maddie

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Lani was 6 pounds at 8 weeks and at 11 weeks she was 11.5 pounds. We got Toby at 11 weeks and he was already 21 pounds. She is now 11 months and 54 lbs and Toby is 8 months and is between 65 and 70 lbs. Is she mini or standard?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:
Bailey has begun to put on some weight. We've had her one week now. In 6 days (we weighed her the 2nd day we had her) she has gone from 5 lbs to 7.5 lbs. She is on Nutro Puppy - the Chicken, Rice & Oatmeal formula, which is supposed to be good for sensitive stomachs.

Her mom was a medium size labradoodle and dad was a standard poodle. Dad weighed 50 lbs. Breeder guessed that our Bailey would grow to about 55 lbs. Seems lots of breeders throw that number out there, but I don't know how you can guess accurately.

Thanks for all of your replies.

She had some diarrhea and went back to the vet for some medication. She then did 3 days on a vet prescribed low-residue canned food. The meds were Metronidazole and Albon. They did a stool sample check, but didn't say if they found anything. I think these are both general antibiotics that can be used to treat many things, diarrhea included.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
mertonidazole

mertonidazole is generally the treatment for giardia
albon is generally the treatment for coccidia
mertonidazole was the old treatment for coccidia
that seems to be a alot of antibiotics for a small pup to me
definitely add yogurt (bout a tablespoon 2 x per day to put the good bacteria back in her intestines)

I would really question the Vet as to why so many antibiotics if no parasite was found
the diarreha could have been caused by stress
if no parasites found could have treated the diarreha with endosorb or even pumpkin IMO

just a little bit of parasite tummy treatments 101 LOL hope it helps

as far as size i think that your pup will likely finish out under 45lbs when grown ,,,was she underweight when you got her?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon was 8 lbs when we got her at 10 weeks. The breeder said her mother was 50 lbs and so was her father. She was 60 at her last weigh in and that was about 6 months ago, when she was 18 months old. I'm guessing she's close to that now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My doodle was about 7 pounds at 8 weeks old -- at his last vet appt. (around 1 yr old) he was 69 pounds! His father was a small stocky 40lb lab and his mom was a 43 pound poodle -- he is definitely a big boy -- he is the sweetest and happiest dog -- love him!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
here goes:

Max at 6mos 55lbs ..23in high

at 16 wks was 35lbs and 19in high

He seems to be slowing down getting longggger now

His coat is very fleecy now...it keeps changing. from very wavy to slight curls then seems to flatten a bit and then fluff/ wave up again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts