Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey has got diarrhea. We are trying to give canned pumpkin. I read somewhere to only give 1-2 teaspoons and another place a lady said she gives her 70 lb dog 1/2 cup every couple of hours.

1-2 teaspoons and 1/2 cup is a big difference. And how often can you give it.
She had her first diarrhea last night. We gave 2 tsp. Tonight she had diarrhea again. She is not going often, but when she does it is diarrhea. We tried 2 TABLEspoons tonight after she pooped.

If this doesn't get better soon, maybe we'll switch to boiled chicken and rice.

She is acting normal otherwise. Energy level is good, runs and plays fetch, not lethargic, etc.

Advise please?

How much do you give for their weight and how often do you give it?

And thanks in advance for any help.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
This totally doesn't answer your pumpkin question, but we have had a lot of luck with the rice when Dexter has loose stools (this is only for loose stool and not bad diarrhea). Sometimes we add chicken to the rice and sometimes we do a 1:1 mix of white rice:dry dog food. I'll do this for a day or 2 until things firm up.

I'm sure someone else can give you info about pumpkin...but we've never had to resort to that. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
sorry, Zman, I can't help with portions!
But if we have stubborn diarrhea we mix plain yogurt and rice and feed JUST that for a day and then see how it goes. You can cook chicken in the rice if you want to.

I hate to admit it but I just 'wing it' on the pumpkin, but am sure my portions are closer to 1/3-1/2c. per feeding. Seems like if you want to feed less in more feedings you could, but I get distracted and forget. :roll:

Can one overdose in the pumpkin? If you already have diarrhea, I'm not sure what you have to lose!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I give 1 tablespoon along with pepto bismal added to boiled rice and boiled chicken when diarrhea is severe also a slice of sweet potato helps (1/4" slice)

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I portion out the pumpkin using ice cube trays.
Just fill the tray and when frozen give one to two pumpkin ice cubes
depending on how runny the stools are.
Of course you should always talk to the vet. :wink:
You can boil hamburger and oatmeal and feed that just as easily
as boiled chicken and rice. Both are great for firming up stools.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
thanks to sue in the past i fed OATMEAL mixed with pumpkin and chicken for my doodles , put it in big container and scooped it out when needed for meals.

NOW my doodles are dry candae getting chicken and/or oatmeal as a treat now along with pumpkin

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

The 2 TABLESPOONS we gave actually did the trick. But, it wasn't really measured. Wife said she just used a tablespoon and gave her two DOLLOPS - I guess that'd be more like two heaping tablespoons.

Anyway - glad to report that by Saturday she was back to normal poops.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
gene said:
That's great news! Thanks for the update. I use pepto bismol tablets myself and a little plain yogurt.
Uh Gene do you eat canned pumpkin too? hahahhaha couldn't resist!!
and make sure you save some for Jonah and Miko

and great news ZMAN!!! :D :D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts