Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has it been worthwhile? Can you tell me a bit about your plan?

Thank you!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
good question cause i would like to know the same

OK does anyone have/use VPI ?? or other ones?

so far VPI has the best coverage and premiums of the quotes i have gotten via internet. Most cover spaying/neutering, meds. vaccinations, illness/injury...vip has a cancer rider too.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I followed a new pet owner who got an early type of insurance, and I gotta say, dogs are really a fairly low-maintenance family member, in my opinion, once the puppy shots are all covered. So I thought this rookie-family was really being ripped off, in having a monthly fee, whereas we really only have basic medical maintenance fees, about once a year, in general.

So I would say, how about shopping around for the best price on heartworm, vaccines, etc. and then just banking about $30/mo. for the life of the dog, for various emergency needs?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had originally planned on doing just that - but my thoughts were that if there were an immediate serious problem then I'm going to be in major trouble. Say the pup gets hit by a car when its 4 months old (knock on wood) I'd only have $60 saved up. I am the sole provider for my household and it would be virtually impossible to come up with the thousands it might cost for surgery etc... To me the $30 is worth it especially considering it covers vaccinations, check ups, spaying/neutering etc. I don't think its being ripped off so much as its being cautious. The $30/month is MY security in knowing if something goes wrong I have more options then going into debt! I'm 26, single and own my own home on Cape Cod ($$$$$$$$$ to live here!) - I am *very* careful with my money!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
ahh. I see....
do you already have your puppy? (I have some due to be born in a couple weeks! :wink: )

I can understand the concern...especially the first year, but could you wean yourself off the plan after that?

My long-term concern is that if the pet insurance idea catches on, the cost of healthcare for pets would go thru the roof, in the same way it has for people, in the last 50yrs. It might not affect you or me, but the third-party system of payment always inflates costs. It's the economist in me, not the dog lover! :? And we all know the insurance companies DO make a profit!

We (family of 5, + 4 dogs) live on one (low) income, other than our small breeding program, so I feel your concern, so I can definitely sympathize....and coming here from the Washington DC area, I know that CO costs are NOT comparable to the east coast, for sure! :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I bought pet insurance for Denver when he was 8 weeks old
My reasoning is also if anything major, God forbid should happen.
When Denver was stung by bees last year, part of his meds were
covered but not all. His neuter was not covered as my policy is only
for major illness, accident, along those lines.

Sue

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suspect after a year or so I'll give up the insurance, then maybe pick it up again once the pup is 5 or 6.

My fear of course is the puppy getting loose and getting hit by a car - we have a HUGE problem in my neighborhood with people driving too fast :( They seem to think that just because its a straight road that its ok to go 50mph (its 25-30). Now - we get maybe 2 cars an hour, but at least one of them is going well over the limit. We've tried so hard to get more stop signs or at least an officer to patrol (especially around bus-times) but no luck from the town. Unfortunately its going to take a PERSON getting hit to get the towns attention :( The previous owners of my house moved because of the speed problem - their dog was hit and killed in front of the house. Of course the dog was small and not on a leash and they were playing in the front yard when it happened, and I plan on fencing in the back yard this summer. I was going to do that and the landscaping all at once, but I just found out (this morning!) that my daughter was accepted into an AMAZING private school for next year. I had taken out a 10k loan for the yard work but now the landscaping portion will have to go to tuition.

Oh it never ends, does it? And I went a bit off-topic, sorry!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi Maureen
Yes I will keep it as it eases my mind that I have him covered.
We take him everywhere with us (camping, hiking etc)and you never know about the what ifs,so for me I would not be without it.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have Pets Best on Tanner and Humphrey our cat. It cost me about $80 per month. I am looking into switching to Met Life which does not include wellness but seems to be a better plan for the major incidents. They cover hereditary illness..hips etc. This will cost me about $50 per month for the two

http://www.metlifepets.com/index.asp?CUID=

When we had our last doodle Hannah, Petsbest paid very well for her emergency when she had her first grand mal seizure (spelling?). That included 3 days in hospital, IV's, every procedure you can imagine, meds. I think they paid about 80%.

They don't pay if it is parasite related which can eliminate quite a bit.

I look forward to hearing what everyone else has. Pets Best is in Utah but not in South Carolina where we will be moving in 2 years. Met is available in 49 states..not in Alaska.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ok here's my scenario and wished i HAD insurance at the time but didn't :cry:

$145 for putting max under anesthesia due to bee sting
$260 ER visit during mid of night
$482 3 day 24/7 care with IV"s etc at VETs
$240 to neuter max
$200 on medications to-date on max and peanut

FUTURE spaying: $245

PLEASE do not say what the total is...do not add it up as i am going to be sick.

so if i had insurance ast least i could have recouped some of the costs.
For now i am out of pocket 100%

I need insurance ...as if i ihave it then i know nothing will happen (as is usually the case hahaha) and if anything does happen i don't dole out 100% of the money

·
Registered
150 Posts
I signed our doodle, Angel (8 weeks old), up with VPI BEFORE I even brought her home not as a "Rookie" but as an experienced owner! We had a Dalmatian before we had kids and we left him with my Sister-in-law and her 3 children while we were away enjoying the sun in Aruba on our honeymoon only to come home to a very sick puppy! He had eaten one of my niece's barbie dolls which blocked his intestines. He was so sick when we got home he couldn't even stand up! One surgery and $1000.00 later he was fine.

Now, we have 3 kids of our own and lots of Barbies, 3 rooms and a basement full of tempting toys for a puppy to chew. I am teaching my kids to keep their toys away from her (that they can make her very sick)and we keep a close eye on her, but as all you dog owners know...it only takes a second for a dog to find what she shouldn't have!

I heard about VPI from my vet. I pay $27.08/mo. for the Superior Plan. It covers 90% (The Standard Plan only covers 45%) of the vet bill for anything from an ear infection to major surgery. The Vaccination and Routine Care Coverage is $8.25/mo. (part of my payment of $27/mo.) that covers part of her spay, microchipping, office visit, heartworm and flea meds. For the first year of a dog's life, this extra coverage is worth it! After her first year, I will probably drop this extra coverage because it will no longer be worth it. My payment will then drop to $18.83/mo.

VPI's webite is www.petinsurance.com. You can see exactly what's covered and the different plans they offer.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
thanks so much nicole

·
Registered
150 Posts
Glad to help, Annmarie! By the way...LOVE the pics of Max and Peanut sleeping together! It's a time when you know that they AREN'T getting into trouble! :D

Kristin: Good question! You are getting a lot of great discussion on the topic. Hope it is all helping!

Nicole

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kristen i am sooooooo glad you posted this question!!! good one for sure as here i am researching pet insurance and waahllaaa here's this POST :D

and yes NICOLE when they are napping ....the little devils look like angels :wink: and tahnks for the VPI firsthand info as that is the company i was thinking of going with ..and full coverage. i am calling them later today or early tomorrow morning.

question nicole: how long before you're reimbursed?

G

·
I have Boyd on the VPI plan and it paid for itself when he had his field trip to the emergency room. Out of a $288 bill, I was sent a check from VPI Pet Insurance for $207!! Not bad!

It doesn't seem to cover that much in terms of regular vet visits but for the big ones it's well worth it!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you to EVERYONE who replied! I think I'm going to go with VPI for at least a year, then we will reevaluate :)

Now all I need is my doodle! Come on Mama Di! Aren't they ready yet??? LOL

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI thanks Nicole...some take 20 days other yes 40days but if i get reimbursed then i am paitent and will wait

I just signed up with VPI superior plan
Peanut full blown coverage with wellness and cancer rider costs $31.94 a mo
Max with vpi superior and cancer costs $23.92 a mo

After what we went through and laid out on peanut alone...well wish i had this earlier. Better late than never is the motto at the moment.

I say this insurance is a piece of mind

1 - 20 of 27 Posts