Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious as to how many of you participate in other forums....how do they compare to this one?

Are you ever worried about spending too much time in the cyber world?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I participate in quite a few other forums, but not to a large degree.

It started for me on a pregnancy board and kinda grew from there. My pregnancy is now a 7 1/2 year old daughter. That board split a few times, but I'm still with a core group of those women.

As I posted in another thread I'm a soaper. I mostly post on two private soaping boards that are not too busy.

I'm also into photography and post just a bit on one board in particular.

I do sports photography and got hit on the sidelines of the football field last month. I ended up with a concussion and broken leg. Needless to say I'm still laid up with the broken leg so my message board participation has been more then normal. For me it's been a lifesaver because I've been able to interact with people for the last month while being pretty much bed ridden.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I still post fairly often on a parenting site I worked at for many years, and a site for women where I've got quite a few friends. I also play Literati at Yahoo a few times a week.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
This forum is absolutely the best!! I have tried a couple of other forums but they were just not as "personable" as this one. I am currently lurking on a photography site but the members' talent and knowledge is SO exceptional, I don't feel worthy enough to post . . . :shock: :? And, no. I have no problem with the time I spend in hyper space. I am very accustomed to it--have even participated in entire academic programs online. My husband on the other hand, does not get the time I spend. He has not spent enough time online to understand that you are not having a conversation with some cosmic figure out there, but real people who actually become real friends even though I may never meet them face-to-face. I think he's the one missing out . . .

G

·
This is my favorite forum of all time! I also recently joined and post on a new car forum. It's interesting to try and figure out the personalities from the posts. And you can get great information! I was able to download and read the car manual before I purchased the car. And any questions get answered right away! I do spend time on the internet, but I do not watch TV, so I think that's a good trade off!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
JETA said:
I participate in quite a few other forums, but not to a large degree.

It started for me on a pregnancy board and kinda grew from there. My pregnancy is now a 7 1/2 year old daughter. That board split a few times, but I'm still with a core group of those women.
I started on a pregnancy board as well! It was the old parentsplace boards, and we've long since left ivillian (since the big merger) and those of us that are left (20-40 regulars) have our own board :) Annie is 7 now as well!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I used to participate in a portrait artists' forum but no longer do so. And there's a francophile forum that I check fairly regularly although I don't post much there.

Beginning in 1993 when the internet was fairly new and I first went online, I posted on a bulletin board associated with salon.com/Salon Magazine which was a lot of fun, and I met some really interesting people there. Many of them were involved with environmental pursuits of one sort or another, and it was accessible through the website of my ISP, an activists' organization. One of the members visited me once and that was really fun.

Later I got involved in a painters' list and have posted there for years. It was through that list that I met the couple we visited in France, who let us stay in their second house the first time we went. It's a group of really neat, supportive people. And then of course there's this one!

I think that forums and the internet in general can be addictive, and I know that sometimes I use it as an excuse for not tackling something that I don't feel like doing. On the other hand, the painters' list was really instrumental in my development as an artist and also we would never have gone to France if it hadn't been for contacts I made there. And I got Chouette through this one, plus lots of great advice.

As someone else mentioned, we don't watch television, so this is my interface with the world at large!

Leslie

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I only belong to this forum...isn't that enough??? Morning,noon and night??? :shock: :shock: hahahahaha...In the past I belonged to Ancestry.Com, and did a lot of postings searching for ancient family ties.. and 11 years ago, participated in an Adoption Forum...looking for my birthmother, whom I found in 3 months!!! She's 84 now, and we're inseparable!!! Also 4 brothers, 44 cousins,Aunt and Uncles...it's been the journey of a lifetime! :wink:

G

·
Oh Kathie, that is sooo wonderful!!!!! I bet there is a magazine out there who would LOVE to publish your story!!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soaper? as in soap opera or soap maker???

Ancestry.com...that sounds very interesting...and yes Kathy..I think this one is sometimes more than enough

:p :p :p

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I LOVE this forum, everyone welcomed Annabelle and I with open arms - I dont' belong to any other doggie forums

Diane I agree, I have forged some wonderful friendships online and have met several of my friends F2F, D has never been to a forum and in the beginning did not understand, but he has met a couple of my "online" friends and it made it a little easier for him to understand, but I think it still baffles him.

Kathie, that is so awesome, it is always nice to hear of a positive reunion - I am very happy for you :) I also belong to several adoption forums, I don't frequent them like I did in the past

I have my painting forum and a craft/painting forum, both are small and like family.

I probably spend way too much time on line in some peoples eyes, but being at home as much as I am, it helps me to have people to talk to, it helps immensely

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I ONLY belong to 1 Forum ...this one :D
and I LOVE the wit, teasing, sharing, concern, sincerity and help/advice!!

i joined a photography forum like Diane , i am being a voyeur there in order to read and learn late at night ---not to post as they are mostly advanced.

Sooooooooo this forum is the best , so i don't look further :D
and I have fun too writing blog articles

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Same for me, just one forum
Love the friends I have made here.........
See no reason to go elsewhere as far as Doodles go :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Just this forum. It is so friendly, supportive and helpful. I feel bad I can't keep up with it more and respond to everyone's posts. Thanks everyone for being here. It's nice to know you're here. :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is the only forum I post to, although I sometimes browse others. For years I participated in the rec.crafts.textiles.quilting usenet newsgroup, but now I lurk and rarely post. Another newsgroup I joined over 8 years ago was alt.support.stop-smoking. That group helped me stop and on Dec. 2 I will be smoke free for 9 years! I couldn't have done it without them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I post on another forum for women that has a few different groups - and i will have to stay away from the pets board as I already got flamed for "buying" a mutt.

they say all labradoodle breeders are backyard breeders and puppy mills just out for a buck that don't care about their dogs. yeah, that's right, believe what you want ladies!

i just keep in mind that there are narrow minded people everywhere, especially online!

·
Registered
985 Posts
dreamer728 said:
I post on another forum for women that has a few different groups - and i will have to stay away from the pets board as I already got flamed for "buying" a mutt.

they say all labradoodle breeders are backyard breeders and puppy mills just out for a buck that don't care about their dogs. yeah, that's right, believe what you want ladies!

i just keep in mind that there are narrow minded people everywhere, especially online!
Unfortunately I think there are backyard breeders who are taking advantage of the prices that can be charged for doodles and throwing together any old lab or golden and any old poodle et voilà! The groomer I'm going to be trying for Chouette had never seen such a sweet, calm doodle; she said the ones in her area are all really hyper and she seemed to be indicating that they were the result of that sort of haphazard breeding. So people may have seen some of the other side of doodle-producing and gotten a bad impression about them.

I am so glad I found this forum and thence the wonderful group of breeders (and owners) who post here! Of course you can get lucky with a less-carefully-thought-out or accidental breeding, but I do hear stories about the other sort and the problems people have with the resulting puppies.

Which doesn't mean that someone on a dog board should try to tar all doodles with the same brush! But a person on an AKC forum is already heavily invested financially and in terms of ego in their pedigreed animal.

Leslie

1 - 20 of 41 Posts