Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been transitioning Amanda to a new puppy food for a week, doing half of the old, half of the new. Is this long enough? Or should I start 3/4 new, 1/4 old? She seems to be tolerating the switch well.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I know that my vet said to do the 3/4 new, 1/4 old? But I did exactly what you are doing. So I say if it is working, (it was not a problem for Denver )
keep doing what you are doing. If you see a change in the poops than I would go back to the 3/4 new, 1/4 old.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If she is doing well with a 50/50 mix for a week I would start with the 3/4 new and 1/4 old and after a few days she should be ready for the complete switch. Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ditto di!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!
There has been a change in poops though, but I figured that was normal with a switch. Or am I wrong? She's just looser, less formed, but not runny or anything. Also, she definitely has been a bit gassy, but again shouldn't I give her time to adjust to the change before abandoning the new food?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
When we switched Cinnamon to a new food we used this schedule:

Day 1; 1/4 new to 3/4 old
Day 2; 1/4 new to 3/4 old
Day 3; 1/2 new & 1/2 old
Day 4; 1/2 & 1/2 again
Day 5; 3/4 new to 1/4 old
Day 6; 3/4 new to 1/4 old
Day 7; all new food.

The schedule was given to us by the pet store people. Cinnamon didn't have any trouble with the switch when we used this, no lose bowels or gas. If you've been feeding 1/2 & 1/2, then I'd say she's ready for the next step.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts