Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woody is now 4 months old and loves to walk. I wondered what would be a good guideline for how long his walks should be? At the moment we do about 40 mins in the morning and the same at night. Is this too much, too little?

Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm no expert by any means. But I think 40 minutes twice a day is reasonable provided it is a comfortable turf, not a lot of running or jumping, easy on the steps. Asphalt is very hard on the pads of their feet as is gravel. But your walks sound reasonable to me for 4 mos. :?:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Kelly, I really can't help with the temp. question. When my Maltese was younger I asked the vet about her going on long walks and admitted that I mostly carry her and she told me that the little thing could go longer and further than I could......just doesn't feel right to me. :?:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi!
There are a couple of considerations when exercising your doodles...one is that any activity that jolts joints is bad until the dog is 18 months old, the activity could cause or aggravate hip or elbow problems. My PennHip vet said no jogging or frisbee, nothing that makes a dog jump up and land on hind legs alone.
Be careful of stairs and of dogs roughly playing with one another (tumbling and rolling each other around.)
I think that long walks are good if your dog enjoys them. Take your que from the way your dog reacts.
Also keep in mind that their foot pads can be damaged by ice, sharp rocks, thorns, mud or dirt clods, burrs, and hot pavement.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm so glad I read this post. I've been playing ball with 11 week old sofie! I had no idea shes wasn't supposed to run. I will hate to stop as she enjoys chasing her bouncing tennis ball and running it back to me. Is this with all dogs? most dogs? doodles only?

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's the case with most large dogs. The reason being that they are growing soooo fast. You just have to baby those growing joints. I don't think chasing a ball (a little bit) would be a big deal, but jumps and steps and long runs are cautioned against.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts