Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does a 40 lb bag of dog food last for a full grown doodle?
I'm using Nutro Natural Choice.

I realize that it will vary by dog and by brand of dog food, but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

I also note that I'm paying about $12 for a FIVE lb bag of Nutro Natural Choice Chicken Meal, Rice & Oatmeal Small Bites Puppy. I'm going to check into a bigger bag. I see online that I can get this in Puppy (but not small bites) for about $33 for a 40 lb bag. I can forego the small bites for the savings. We did go with the oatmeal blend for sensitive stomach. Our puppy had diarrhea the first 5 days we had her so we wanted to go easy on the tummy. She may not have a sensitive tummy, but we aren't ready to try and find out yet if it'll bring back the diarrhea.

I'm sure I can get a better price on the 40 lb bag in the store too, but just wanted to go with 5 lb to see how well it would work. But, I'm paying over $2/lb and it should be under $1/lb in bigger quantity.

Thanks for helping a newbie.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
zman the 40 pound bag (mint green) is small bite. It doesnt say it on the bag I dont think hang on I will go check - nope no where. I really dont think it comes in large bite, they must just mark the little bag small bites so tiny puppy parents will feel comfortable with it. But rest assured the 40 pound bag is small bites!

Now we will do some math I go through about 60 -70 pounds for 4 dogs so with my handy calculator I think each dog probably averages about 15-17 pounds a month Soooooo your 40 pound bag should last just over two months.

:)

Petco and Petsmart carry it and a lot of your local feed stores and anyone that carries Nutro near you should be able to order you a bag in so you dont have shipping costs too. Also there is a frequent buyer club which with one pup may not work for you, but you can apply online and they send coupons too so that is good. They also sell it in the 20 pound bag but the 40 is of course the best savings AND if you are real lucky you will find a bag with 44 pounds (4 for free!!) AND it ocasionally goes on sale! And so does the grown up version too! I think I just paid $27 a bag onsale at petsmart and I am ceratin I bought all the adult they had like 8 bags!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Movistar
Thanks for your reply. I'm sure it's the same because our bag is mint green to and Nutro seems to color code their stuff. I'll be sure to check on the 40 (or 44 lb) bag the next time that I'm in Petsmart. I'm in there weekly for Puppy Class, so that's not a problem. The 40 lb will be a WAY better bargain. We also have a Petco not too far and a feed store even closer. I'll have to check the feed store as they are the closest and web says they carry Nutro - I just don't know if they have the mint green and how their prices are. Before puppy, I never had a reason to go in the feed store.

Thanks most for the estimate - so a little under 20 lbs per month.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi zman...approx 20lbs a month seems to be the avearge

We started on small bites (nutro) and thought i bought the same in 20lb till I got home...I am combining nutro puppy chicken/rice/oatmeal 2/3 with 1/3 sensitive tummy nutro and all seems to do fairly well for Max now.

PETCO carries Nutro but you can also do an internet search to see what other stores carries it and at what price. Shoot now i am wondering if i meant PETsmart?
sorry long day on a new job :roll:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts