Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time using a crate to train a puppy and personally I love it. You don't have to worry about accidents or puppy getting into things he shouldn't when you can't be present or awake to keep an eye on him. Dexter took to his crate training quickly and we use it at night and when we're out.

Just a little mommy bragging here, but Dexter is an unusual puppy to say the least. He doesn't chew bad things like furniture legs or slippers. Only his toys. And he was potty trained in about 2 days time. He's very intelligent and eager to please, and it seems to override his puppy destructive instincts.

So we come in from pool league last night and Kevin decides that Dexter can stay in bed with us for the night. I objected, but was way too tired to complain, so I settled into bed with a wiggly furball. I wake this morning to find that Dex has gotten off the bed and couldn't get back up. So he's sleeping beside the bed. I tentatively go looking for potty mistakes or something chewed or destroyed. Nothing. He goes outside and does his business, he held it all night like he was in his crate.

Kevin's aunt said to use the crate at night and when out for about a year til you can trust puppy. Dex is 4 months old and I think he could probably get through the nights out of the crate, but never when we're gone. What do you all think?

Oh and a cute side note - he's never done this when crated, but Kevin said he was being protective because he was sleeping with mommy. When Kevin came down the hall to bed, he startled Dex and Dex jumped to his feet and snarled and growled and gave a big boy bark, really intimidating. That boy's going to have a voice let me tell ya.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI!! Max is like Dexter doesn't chew things etc and has always slept at the end of our bed since he was 13wks old and he's now 7.5mos.
And yes max also got off one night and we woke up to him laying there waiting for us to wake up hahahhahaa and never an accident
except when he was really sick.

Max is now 7.5mos old and sleeps on the floor leaving my bedroom intact.
Peanut on the other hand is crated each night!!! She is not tobe trusted in any way..is a chewer :roll: gets into everything and does NOT stay on a bed.

I would say if Dexter does good with you for a week on your bed then you can trust him. BUT i would still always use a crate when leaving the house.

OK and i want to know HOW do you potty train a puppy in 2 days :shock:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Potty training in 2 days happened because Kevin is laid off right now and he took Dex out every half hour during his waking hours. The first 2 days, he pottied his crate at night, then he seemed to hold it instinctively so he wouldn't soil his bedding. After 2 days and Dex getting it that he got praise for tinkling outside and no-no's (he hates to displease us) for doing it indoors, he began to hold it a little longer, so like an hour. And he learned that if he comes up to us and paws and whines, we'll take him out. If someone wasn't with him 24/7, it would have been a much longer process.

G

·
I find that at night Boyd goes into sleep mode and doesn't get into anything. I can safely leave my jacket/gloves, etc. in the kitchen with no worries. During the day is when he becomes the prowler and counter surfer.....always looking for something to get into..... :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We've been trying to let Dexter sleep in our room with us, however 1) we have a queen bed, 2) he weighs 60 lbs and 3) he refuses to sleep near our feet, but instead tries to sleep on top of us which isn't comfortable. He won't sleep on the floor either. So everynight we continue to try, but he winds up back in his fenced area in the basement.

Dexter's Mommy - Our Dexter hasn't really ever chewed on anything bad either (besides the remote control). I also keep waiting for the bad chewing on the furniture, but so far, at 6.5 months it hasn't happened (knock on wood). Hopefully they'll both keep up their good behavior. I think if you can shut your bedroom door so he can't get into trouble w/o you hearing him, I'd continue to let him stay :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
my personal philosophy is to err on the side of caution. i believe that it takes time for dogs to truly internalize the rules we want them to live by -- especially when they are small puppies. the fact that a puppy has not made a mistake might mean they have learned the rule, or alternatively it could just be a concidence -- they don't actually know the rule, but they have not yet chosen to attempt that particular unwanted behavior. once that unwanted behavior gets started, it is a lot more difficult to extinguish it than it would have been to prevent it in the first place. i try to look for evidence that my dog is making the right choices before i believe that he has truly learned a particular rule. consistently asking to go outside is one kind of evidence. eyeing the table leg and then picking up a toy to chew on instead is another kind. i also try to avoid putting him in situations where i won't be around to provide feedback if he makes a 'wrong' choice.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
emilee you are a truly good doodle mommie!!!! i am sooo happy for you as i remember when you 1st posted here :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts