Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again! Just wondering how long folks have used the crate for their doods to sleep in...... I know Boyd loves his but I can't see having the humongo crate in the kitchen forever. Is there a time when they favor sleeping elsewhere (please note, hubby will NOT allow him in the bed, period!).....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would never be without a crate for my dog. Maybe you can find another wonderful spot to put the crate. He doesnt have to be in it all the time once he is old enough to trust. My dogs sleep on the floor around my bed (they range from 9 months to 3 years), but I still have a crate set up for each one in case I need to put them there when I go out or someone is over or whatever.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks movistar. As it is, we don't shut the crate door anymore so if he wanted, he could sleep anywhere in the kitchen (and for all I know, he does). We're thinking that once we trust him upstairs throughout the night that we could put it in a back bedroom - at least we'd have a guest! :) (We always joke that we have two spares and no one comes to visit).

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Our crate is till in the kitchen for those times when Bella gets 'crazy' (thankfully not as often anymore!) or when large groups are over or a visiting child is afraid of her. She does not seem to mind it and usually just goes to sleep. She sleeps in the kitchen in her bed (not in the crate) and that was her choice. I think the steps are too much for her bad hips. I did carry her upstairs New Years Eve because my daughter had a lots of girls sleep over downstairs. She slept in her bed next to our bed and did just fine. It was her first time sleeping upstairs uncrated. She did not attempt to get on the bed at all, probably because it is very high. I can't wait for her to have the 'run of the house' without supervision, but do not see it happening before she is 1y/o and probably more likely to be closer to 2y/o? (She is 9 months now.) Any thoughts from older doodle owners?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
We swtched from a crate to an x-pen within a couple of weeks. We still have the x-pen but the door is always open uless there is a special need. Dakota sleeps with us in our room. He is welcome in the bed but usually prefers sleeping by the slider with his nose parting the verticals so he won't miss out on any guard dog duty! :wink: Which we don't encourage . . . (sigh)
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
177 Posts
When Bella got to about 18 months we packed away the crate as she's pretty much stopped chewing. Overnight she was allowed to roam the hallway and dining room.

She saw the crate being put away as permission to be naughty :roll:

We'd get up to find her curled up asleep on the dining room chair like a cat, only trouble was she'd chewed the chair first!

This Christmas the crate has returned and she loves it :roll: we think she missed her 'bedroom'

All her stolen loot (underwear etc) ends up burried in there, we only lock her in it at night or if we need to get stuff into the house without having to chase her up the road; she has a habbit of bolting out the front door and running around the road. Thankfully we live in a quiet dead end road! :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
When we just got Frankie, we had a crate for him and put it in the laundry room for which he never went in, but we also gated off the laundry room so that is where he slept. After about 5 months we kept the laundry room opened and he would sleep there anyway at night, but now he never goes in there he sleeps on his bed in the family room. He is gated to that room only and we haven't had any problem with him at all. Frankie usually just sleeps at night. We have never really crated him, even when we are out, but 90% of the time someone is home with him, due to my husband working night and me working days. I guess it is different with all dogs and how they where brought up. Many dogs think their crates are their safe place. Frankie's is being in the family room.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My doodle loved his crate -- we've recently moved him to more of pen -- gives him a little more room but keeps him confined when we aren't at home. I don't know that we will ever give it up. We have always rewarded him with a treat whenever he goes in there and it has NEVER been a problem....if nothing else he loves going there just for the treat :D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
We have 2 x-large crates in our house and we leave the doors open on them all the time. I think they need a place they can go to just be left alone if they want to be. We all need our space, even our doodles :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver is 7 months old and will always have his crate available to him.
At night he sleeps in our bed, but during the day when we go to work he is in his crate for approx. 3- 4hours. This works for all of us quite well.
The reason we do not give Denver full access while we are at work is because we have many cats and it would just be a party.LOL This way all the animals have their quiet times and since the cats are in charge they have freedom during the day to not have Denver constantly trying to play with them. All is good, and you will find what works best for you as it really is individual as to what works with each family:)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max sleeps on our bed at night.

He goes in his crate several times a week for 4hours while we're at work.
Personally, I have never let dogs alone in the house till well over a year old or when they seem mature. This way I know they're safe and sound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts