Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How long should a puppy be walked

Hi everyone,

This site has been such a help for me. Just wanted to once again say THANKS. I was wondering about the walking situation for an 11 month old - How many times per day and for how long should she be walked? We have been very busy lately and I feel like she hasn't gotten out enough. Would like to hear other's walking schedules... Thanks again.

Lydia

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Lydia,
Sorry about missing your first post...don't know how they slip past!
Anyway, at 11 months, your dog could probably go on good, long walks with you...the caution I would make is this:
Be sure not to go so far that you have to walk a long way back if your dog does get tired.
Don't over do ... no jogging (until the dog is 18 months) or you risk hip injury.
Keep water handy.
Remember that hot pavement, ice, rocks, thorns, etc. are very hard on your dog's feet...
Otherwise, your dog will probably let you know when to call it quits!
Enjoy! (These dogs do love exercise and some can walk for very long periods...just use your best judgment.)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Jac is right on (as usual)! I also have an 11 month old, and a 7 month old. I take them out for 1 or 2- 15 minute walks a day, and then 1 long 45-55 minute walk on the days we don't go to the dog park. On the days we do go to the dog park (2-3 times per week) I don't take them on the long walk. They really enjoy the walks and I get tired long before they do! We worked up to walking that long, and I never push them if they are lagging or if they seem tired. It can be hard to find time to take them on long walks, but I really think its great for them to get out of the house- its good for their mental and physical health!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts