Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Trax has long hair and alot of it. Are you supposed to have them groomed like a poodle? He can only catch a ball good when he is wet and I push back his hair. And, if you do have to groom them, at what age do you start? He is only 6 months now. Help!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Our puppy was groomed for the first time a little after 6 months of age. My mother in law suggested he go as soon as possible so he can get used to what going to the groomer is like while he is young. I don't believe he was groomed like a poodle. I brought him in and was very specific about what I wanted. What coat type is your dog? That may make a difference on how he is groomed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trax has long wavy hair. His hair on his head comes over his eyes like a mop. He resembles a Wheaten (sp). He is a standard, that I know. I don't know how else to say it...lol.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi !!

My doodle has long wavy hair aswell. He is 1 years old and I dont take him to the groomers. He just gets a bath at home. I like his hair the way it is. He does get real long hair that hangs over his eyes and I cut that myself. And I trim up his beard. Leno looks too much like a lab to get a poodle cut :shock: he would look silly!!

If you click on the link under my name you will see a pic of him!

Hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have Dora groomed. I have read a lot and it doesn't seem too many people do this. I live in NC and it is hot. When she was about 2 1/2 months old she had so much hair she would get to the bottom of the steps and lay down and pant. I had her shaved and she looked a little funny at first but we all got used to it. She felt and smelled so much better. She just played better and seemed cooler. I take her about every 6 weeks or so, before I do her Advantix and have her groomed. The lady that grooms her does such a good job and she is so sweet to Dora. She cleans out all the hair around eyes, her feet, her bottom and her ears. She cuts her toe nails and bathes her. It costs about $20 but I always tip her for doing good and working me in. I love the look of doodles that are shaggy and have that beautiful coat but I want her to be comfortable most of all. I plan to let her hair grow back out when it cools off.
Beth and Dora
http://community.webshots.com/user/beminder
There is a picture of Dora's summer cut in one of the albums here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I take my doodle Digby, about every 8-10 weeks. They do a great job. He starts to smell "doggy" when his fur is long that is when we get him clipped. They cut the hair short, he almost has a "puppy cut" they trim the hair around the eyes and beard. I tried to groom him myself, bought the special extension things for the clippers. He is good for a while and then he would lay down and was like jello. He wouldn't stand up to do his legs etc. he look pretty pathetic. So hubby said, maybe take him to the groomer. I body clip my horses, but the doodle was much harder (at least Digby is) I leave it to the professionals!

He seems alot happier with shorter hair too.

I pay $50.00, it is pricey but the doodles happiness is what matters! :p

I call it his spa day!

Spoiled Doodle!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
i just took our Maggie to get a "real" bath and just to get her face trimmed. she has very long fleecy soft fur. but she was walking into things because her bangs were SO long. we tried to cut them ourselves but it didnt' work.

so, I told the groomer to just trim up her face and wash her up really well. And, Maureen's link for the grooming checklist was AWESOME! I brought that with me and the groomer really appreciated it.

when I picked Maggie up 4 hours later, (it was her first time so they wanted to take extra time with her), she was completely groomed. I was not upset because I loved how she looked. she had some matted spots on her belly and front legs, and they said when they brushed her out after the bath, she looked really too fluffy. so they trimmed her all over.

well.....my hubby wasn't quite so happy with me. In fact, this has rated higher on his "disturbing news" scale this past week than my surgery I just had to have on Tuesday!!! okay, you know it is bad when your hubby is more upset about how the dog looks than about his wife getting cut open! (lol) he said she looks like a poodle.

I disagree; i think she looks great, and much cleaner. i hate to admit that I couldn't really get a brush through her hair very well, and now I will keep up with it now that they groomed her so well. Maureen, they really found your checklist with pictures helpful!

it is weird to see her eyes, but i can tell she is much happier being able to see and not being so hot when she is outside (she is a black doodle).

i just thought it was funny how sad my husband was about her getting a hair cut. i keep telling him it will grow back, but he is still mad at me...oh well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is funny! My hubby wasn't thrilled with Dora's first haircut either. He said that she looked funny and skinny. He called her Benji and all sorts of "pet names"!! But he got used to it, and actually wanted me to get her clipped this past time, but I changed my mind at the last minute. Her waves had just started to come in and I didn't want to loose them again!! But I know how hot she gets so I am going to get a hair cut for her in about 4 or 5 weeks. Maybe you can find a style in between that both you and your hubby like. Maybe not so much off and around the face. Dora's poodle really shows when they trim her face really close. My groomer had never groomed a LD before so we just worked together finding a style that worked for all of us!!
Beth and Dora

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
cmives, you crack me up! and take care of yourself! Get well from your surgery! Sounds like you and your hubby had a different expectation from the grooming experience, huh? have you posted pics of your Maggie here yet?

As I say about my own hair, the difference between a bad haircut and a good one is 2 wks! :wink:

Glad that checklist worked out - I printed some out and hand them out to new puppy people. I think some of the pics on it look goofy. I'm with Linda I want my doodle to look like a doodle not a poodle! But nevertheless, it looks like something that is in "groomers" language, and my hope is that it helps people not be surprised or mad when they pick up their dog.

·
Registered
77 Posts
maureen, glad to crack you up! i'm trying to take it easy but it is not easy when hubby is at work and i have 3 kids and a horse...oops I mean a puppy to deal with. plus, i love to whine, so i'm trying to get over that.

actually the boys took good care of me and Maggie while I was laid up. today has been one week since surgery (as my middle son put it, I got "partially spayed" but I didn't have to wear one of those horrible e-collars because I couldn't lick my sutures. (i'm not double jointed!)).

You are SO right about the difference between a good haircut and bad one...2 weeks. Now Maggie looks awesome to me and hubby has stopped complaining (within earshot anyway!).

i don't know how to post pictures. but since getting her groomed, we can actually get some really good shots of her. before she just looked like a black fluffy blob. I have some really cute pics, so if someone can tell me how to post one, I'll do it!
cmives

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been debating for weeks now whether or not to and how to have our Frenchie groomed. She is soft, woolly with every color known. She has silver body with almost blonde / red muzzle. I'm told the muzzle is a common thing when pups play outside a lot. Her sister Fionna is very lab like. Not a curl on her so she doesn't need grooming. I'll try the list and have really enjoyed this post! By the way, NC doodle owner, where do you live, we're north of Charlotte.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What a great picture!! I have such a hard time when Dora gets a hair cut. Like now she needs one because it is so hot, but she is so cute with her wavy, blonde fur!!
I live in Kinston about 30 minutes from Greenville (ECU) and about an hour from the ocean. We have had enough rain these past few days!! LOL!!
Beth and Dora

·
Registered
59 Posts
Our doodle Tucker was getting really matted as he was going through the coat change 8mos. Wooly underneath with long hair too. I bought a Oster undercoat rake at his vet/daycare from their groomer-she said thats what she would use if we had him groomed. It really helped. It thinned out the underneath but didn't look like a hair cut, just lightened him up a bit. Now i can comb through his hair no problem and just use the undercoat rake in problem spots. I also trim the hair around his eyes so he can see better and the vet told me yesterday to trim the hair out of his ears a little bit so I did. The undercoat rake cost about $30 but it was well worth it. I like the way it looks, really natural but more manageable.
Good luck, Donna

·
Registered
853 Posts
Beth - Dora looks absolutely adorable. The groomer does such a good job and $20.00 is a steal. I bet I would have to pay $70.00 here in S. Calif. Dora looks alot like my Doc!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks! I love my Dora. She is just as good of a dog as she is beautiful!! She is so good with my kids and if she has something (like one of the kids toys) and I have to get it from her, she won't growl or snap or anything. She just looks sad like, hey i was chewing on that!! I had a husky growing up and she was a good dog too, but she would take your hand off it you tried to get something from her. She was not good with children like Dora.
My groomer is the best. Her name is Helen and she is the biggest dog person I have ever met. Dora is always so excited to see her she pees everytime. She is so patient and good. I almost feel like I am taking advantage because she is so inexpensive and good to the dogs. I always tip her to make up for it! The only problem is that she is booked up weeks in advance!! In fact Dora has an appointment this Friday to get clipped again. She just gets so hot, I am going to keep it short until it cools off. I hate to see those blonde waves go, but I know she will feel better.
Beth and Dora
http://community.webshots.com/user/beminder

·
Registered
21 Posts
what a cutie!

Your Dora is Adorable! I live in Havelock (about 40 minutes from Kinston) and have a 4 month old doodle named Kirby. I will be taking him to New Bern on the 13th to be groomed for the first time. Any tips? I don't want him to come home looking like a shaved rat. :) He's a F1b with a wavy (fluffy) coat. The poor guy has a long beard and his hair is in his eyes all the time. Here's a picture of him last month when we got him.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Funny, I was about to post a grooming question. Pixie is 8 months, and just this past week I've been finding matts - especially in the fine fur on her chest and under her ears. I was wondering if this was what people meant by 'blowing her puppy coat', and after reading some of the posts here, I'm guessing the answer is yes. She has a fleece coat, although it's a little more curly around her neck. Actually it's funny, because there are at least three different textures - the fleece on her back and legs, a fine soft fur on her chest, and more woolly on her neck and head. She looked very much at 4 months like Kirby, in the photo above.

I had her groomed at 5/6 months, and I wasn't very happy with the job. The groomer cut too much around her eyes and muzzle (including her eyelashes), left her with a flat, wide looking poodle muzzle. I took some scissors to it as soon as I got home. And I paid $80 for that grooming! Needless to say, I've been very hesitant about testing another groomer.

Donna, I wanted to say thank you for posting about the Oster undercoat rake. I'd never heard of it before, but based on your post, I just ordered it from Amazon. I spent at least an hour and a half brushing Pixie tonight; the rake can only help!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts