Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I don't want to create a heated topic, BUT I'm getting a lot of conflicting advice on discipling our 16 week old Puddles and was curious how the seasoned doodle owners discipline their pets. For example, "Puddles off the chair" with a slight nudge and he gets off, but then gives me a defiant growl. What would you do? Do you just use firm voice commands or do you get physical with your doodles? Do you find that you have to change your methods periodically? As always, I appreciate your insights :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I just always would give a very strong NO and stern look and it worked

some people have good luck with one sharp loud growl at the dog, my niece has been doign that with her dogs, one of who is a serious back talker and it's been working great

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We use stern commands, like you are doing "Gus, OFF!". and then immediate praise when he does it. thats really important. When teaching a new command we treat when they do it right away. When we wnt them to stop something we use a sharp "AH AH". Not sure whewre it came from but it seems to get their atttenion. and then a "good boy/girl" when they stop.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
yes praise is very good - I didnt think to put that down, it's so automatic with me, when AB does something I tell her to or she just behaves very well, I always tell her good girl and if it's a training thing, she gets a treat

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Totally agree on the praise ...................
Denver loves to hear that voice that tells him he is the best thing in the world, even if it comes after a stern no...............
I never use anything but my voice to discipline, works wonders when you add praise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree with the others...in fact, I prefer the term, "correction" over "discipline" because discipline feels like punishment and doodles are very sensitive.
I have found that a sharp "ah ah!" works followed by lavish praise for them stopping the "bad" behavior.
If you tether your doodle to you (fasten a long lead to the collar and then tie it around your waist) then you can immediately correct unwanted behavior and REWARD good behavior.
Doodles generally LOVE to please and will do anything to get your attention...so be sure to give lots of good attention for every good behavior, even if it is having them look at you when you whisper their name, or when they are lying quietly, be sure to let them know that they are doing something good.
If you can, take your pup to puppy kindergarten...you will both learn how to communicate better then...and it is a lot of fun for you both!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
as a reward it s GOOD BOY and if it particularly hard for him to be good i ll put my face against his mouth and he lick me and we hug.. :) he ll get on his hind legs and hug me around the neck kissing me..

for correction its *NO* never do it ..*STOP* don t do it now..

since all 3 dogs are trained on the same commands..sometime s the other 2 dogs will look at me like *What did i do now?* :lol:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your input! I've been a little confused because quite a few people told me that dogs don't understand voice commands as much as physical touch, such as a bop on the muzzle or grabbing them by the back of the neck and bringing them down, like their mom would. I'm meeting a new trainer this weekend who owns a doggie day care/preschool. The last trainer we met with who specialized in dog aggression used physical correction and it seems to have worn off :( I'm getting a lot of people saying, "you need to show Puddles who's in charge!" I don't spank my children and don't feel comfortable treating a pet that way. I just wanted to hear that verbal correction does work. So we'll keep at it. Thanks again! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
there are Toby s time outs..thats where ill get him on his side and hold him down..at this time the *NO* takes on a whole new meaning..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Deepnite10, How long do you hold him down for? When I've tried this, it makes Puddles wild and he starts biting and gets really angry. I don't want to let him win, but he refuses to submit and wiggles and bites and flips and then races around like a possessed dog. When this happens, I put him in a little bathroom for a timeout, more for me than him, because I don't think he's really feeling punished in the bathroom. He's definitely a strong-willed little bugger. My husband and I had to chuckle about how you put your face next to your dog's mouth for a kiss...OMG Puddles would bite my ear off!!!! I think Puddles may need doggie boot camp LOL!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Natalie..i put him down on his side..place a palm on his chest ,
and hold his muzzel with the other hand..if he starts to squirm ill press
down on his muzzel while saying *be nice*..when he calm s down i ll wait
about 15 secs. and say again *be nice*..he acts up i repeat..at time s i ve had to place my forearm on his chest to keep him down.. :?

if he s going wild when you let him up it s a good idea to have a leash .

it get s to be a war of the wills here..and i have to show him i ve got
all day..

i do this only to show him im taking charge and there s nothing he can do about it..

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
My husband has had to put Kirby on his side in the past when he challenged our authority. In the past Kirby would fight him, but now Kirby gives in immediately and just rolls on his back for belly rubs. My husband would just hold him on his side until he stoped fighting. It really worked for us. I think it was last week when Kirby challenged my husband on something...it barely took my husband putting him on his side and Kirb immediately rolled himself on his back in the sweetest submissive pose :) We never do it in a violent or mean way...just calmly to get him under control. It's not something we do regularly...just for serious challenges of our authority (i.e. growling). We've never had to do this with Dex because he has never growled at us.

Oh - speaking of Dex...we try to use correction and praise mostly. If he still doesn't listen we give him a time out (by himself in a room) for about 5 minutes. He hates being separated from us so it works pretty well.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
for me I made each doodle sit next to me real calmly
NEXT i'd run my hands over their muzzle, head and back etc
each time saying GOOD SETTLE if they didnt' mouth me , wiggle etc

i did this daily starting around 5.5mos old , and i'd do it at 1st 2 to 3 times a day for about 5 min working up towards 10-15min. Also during that time my doodle would have to ignore everyone else in the household.

it teaches them you're the Alpha, it's positive reinforcement, and also a great one on one with them.

If your pup is tired and needs a nap that can cause them to get "cranky " at times ...every dog is different.

i find using the NO command to be effective for serious things
30min lie downs work great too
and TONS of Praise can go a long ways....doodles are usually eager to please

Lastly when Max challenged us a long time ago, I had him lie down, stood over him and said a really FIRM NO!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The only time I've had to use physical force on Cinnamon is to get her attention. It's only a little bop on the rump, more like a touch. Sometimes she'll ignore me when I want her to come and I'd walk over to her and get her attention. Now I just make a couple of steps and boom, she's like "why didn't you say so?" :roll: Kids!

Cinnamon does understand words and I've gotten to know her different barks. Don't let anyone tell you your doodle doesn't understand the word "walk!" :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Don't let anyone tell you your doodle doesn't understand the word "walk!"
hahaha...or the words "go for a ride" or "dinner"...any of those (including "walk") causes for 2 very crazy doodles in our house.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Just reinforcing the 'time out'...that works well for us. If Dex is a little out of hand, I take him by the collar very matter-of-factly, and say "too bad!" - and walk him over to his crate. He usually knows exactly what's up, and goes in. I leave him there for about 5 mins or so, and most of the time that is all it takes to mellow him out again.

But the most important thing to remember is that there should be no anger in your voice. Just kind of a sing-song "too bad!". They get the idea.

G

·
My new trainer we have had one week of class is not against physical touch. By no means does she encourage hitting your dog though. Just a nip from your hand at the dogs neck or leash jerk to get their attention. And she enforces you only tell your dog once rule. If you say "Maya off" and she doesn't do what she is told you physically make her do it. Don't make a big deal about it....just lead her off. If she gets off by herself you have a big party. Pick a trigger word that you will always say when she did something good. I use YES. I say Maya off and she gets off I say YES really excited and follow with good girl and sometimes a treat if it's a new behavior. We have 5 more weeks of training so I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh I definitely agree. They understand words they choose to understand, a lot like kids. We have to spell walk, ride, treat, go, but if they hear the word NO, they act deaf. My little one is much more independent that his brother Max. Max is more sensitive also. Unfortunately, we have used physical punishment on Max and he has growled at us. I am trying not to do it, but sometimes I loose my cool and regret it after. He is 3 this month and I want to make sure he has a very long and Happy :D life. I would love some other ways to redirect behavior.

·
Registered
260 Posts
we started doing "time outs" in the bathroom for kumo about 2 weeks ago. he does this barking thing while he's playing -- he rarely barks any other time, but at the dog park he will sometimes bark and bark and bark, and now that we have ursus he's starting to do it inside too. it gets really loud! so, when he starts barking, we say "time out" and put him in the bathroom. i don't want to use his crate for corrections like this -- i don't want him to have negative associations with his crate.

the interesting thing is, at first we had to physically put in in the bathroom. but in the past week, he's started taking himself in there when we say "time out"! it seems to be helping with the barking, too.

-em

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Em - Dexter's new time out spot is the bathroom too for the same reasons you posted. Most of his time outs are for barking at Kirby to play with him. Sometimes Kirby just wants to sleep and Dex doesn't get it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts