Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I got some great help on my last question: Labs vs. Doodles. And I am hoping ya'll will come through for me again!! :) I have researched the net for breeders in my area (north florida) and have found two I really like. Both are in the same area (central florida) and have matching prices so those equal out. One breeder has one breeding pair and has one litter a year. Great recommendations and gorgeous pups. But a LONG :( wait. The other breeder has at least six pairs of parents and litters about every three to six months. Also gorgeous pups and great refs. I'm just wondering if the one like a business will really be able to know their pups well or if the smaller breeder has enough experience?! :? What does your experience tell you? Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I researched many breeders before I chose and I had
certain criteria that mattered the most to me and it was how
I ruled breeders out.
It then came down to the back and forth correspondence that
I had with the breeders and the answers that they gave me.
You have to go by what is comfortable to you as far as what
the answers to your questions are.
My breeder asked me the right questions that showed me how much she cared about her dogs and the home that they were going to.etc.
She talked about temperment as being a priority over colour or sex of the dog and answered all my inquiries over a six month period. She did not
know whether I would end up buying from her or not and the time she spent talking to me without knowing the outcome of a sale or not is what sold me on her.

Good luck with your search and keep asking lots of questions
Make sure that whoever has a very good(in writing) health guarantee.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks. I love your doodle by the way! I have had great email chats with one of the breeders. I will take your advice and get in touch with the other one and see what my gut tells me. I am trying to take my time because this is a forever decision and I want the match to be right for myself and the dog! :) Thanks alot for all your help!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
This is a very important question and you really are wise to find the answers before buying.
There is a ton of info regarding this issue on this forum...so I'd suggest searching the archives and you will get some really good insight.
Here is one that I posted regarding puppy mills and back yard breeders that really took off...has a lot of good info:
http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1973
Then there are a bazillion ideas in this forum:
http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=2
I'd be surprised if you still have many questions after reviewing these sites, but if so, please feel free to ask away!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
In addition to what was already posted, I would make sure they offer a warranty or similar. For example, if your puppy has hip problems, etc, would the breeder help you? Some offer a new puppy, some offer to help pay for surgery (up to the cost of the puppy). Did the breeder test the parents (hips, elbows, etc) and can they show you the results?

Good luck :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the replies! I will read through the above listed forum info and also clarify the health tests, ect. Ya'll have been so nice and helpful. I really appreciate it! :D

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You been giving good advice and Jac has given you the old threads that we posted from the past. Just remember to talk to the breeder I like to do a few emails then actually talk to the buyer on the phone. I think you can get a much better feel for what your both thinking and if your comfotable with each other. It is also nice to meet them in person if that is possible I like my buyers to come and meet us and our dogs. I'm proud of my dogs and our place and feel that people will see that we love our dogs, and do everything we can to take care of them.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey, DITTOS on the quality of your questions! Before I even got to your 2 choices I had the same 2 questions!
I know that some breeders with lots of puppies REALLY DO watch and play with their babies, so I don't think that having several litters a year is necessarily an indicator of impersonal breeding. Can you visit her or see her interact with current puppies? That might be a way to glean insight into how she/he knows her current pups, even if you aren't getting one. Does that make sense?

Likewise for the smaller breeder I would estimate you might really like that one-on-one attention, but the experience issue is real, or can be. There's nothing like time and experience and few replacements for either!

Continue to find your breeder...and best wishes. Once you have found the breeder, choosing a puppy is a joy and piece of cake. And KUDOS to you for going this route!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Maureen! I almost feel like an expectant first time mother. :lol: I will get in touch with both breeders and see which is the better fit for me. I kind of have an idea already but since it is an important decision I won't rush it. I have learned that impatience usually causes all kinds of problems! :oops: And through this forum I have sort of thrown away all my previous ideas of what I thought I had to have or wanted. And I now realize that it is all about the temperment and the right fit between dog and family. Thanks to everyone for your advice!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Janinjax... don't feel bad about thinking about wanting anything else other than temperament. I thought temperament wasn't important- despite all the advice otherwise- but in my defense, I didn't really realize how important it was since my parents' dog had such a wonderful temperament, and I thought that's how it was.

It wasn't until I went to see a whole bunch of dogs at one breeder's house- varying in ages from 3 yrs to 7 weeks- that I realized how important temperament is. It completely changed my focus. Luckily I found both the color, the type, the coat type, and the temperament all in one. But, I consider myself extremely lucky!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
On our recent dog search, we contacted a number of breeders, and narrowed it down to two that had puppies available. What we really preferred was an adolescent dog, and to my way of thinking a good breeder will always accept dogs back from their original family and therefore have them available on a pretty regular basis. One of the breeders we spoke to said she did not accept dogs back, and bred labradoodles only as a hobby. That concerned me, and right off the bat we came away with the preference to work with the other breeder. We met Willow, who will turn two this spring, and brought her home. But if she had not worked out, we would have come away with one of their puppies.

Obviously, a good breeder will care enough about what happens to their dogs to qualify you going in. They probably also ought to have a policy of taking back any dog that does not work out. We can't imagine why someone would bring Willow back to the breeder, but a good breeder to my way of thinking ought to have adult dogs as well as puppies for sale. Otherwise, I would question how committed they are to the breeding process.

I also look for information on how the puppies and dogs at a breeder are treated. Our breeder actually has a little blog off their main Web site chronicling the early adventures of the puppies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts