Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abbey is 11 weeks old. I'm wondering how others handle this problem.

We've been invited out to dinner a couple of times. We put Abbey in her crate and go on our way. But then when we get home we take her out for potty and then play with her a bit before putting her back in her crate for the rest of the night. It just seems like too much time in the crate. Say we leave for dinner at 6pm, get back at 10 or 11pm. Then put her back in the crate for the night.

One time we took the crate in our car and then when out and gave her a brake after a couple of hours. But she still was full of energy when we got home. At 11 pm we're ready for bed and she isn't.

Ideas/solutions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Barbara,
Abbey is a DOLL!
As long as she is getting out to potty and for a little playtime before bed, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can't be there, the crate is the safest, and to her, probably the most secure place she can be. Tyke is like a hurricane going through our house, so we still can't leave her loose in the house alone. We started out with one of those puppy playpens from Petsmart, which she liked, but as she got older, she learned how to climb out of it. By then she was crate trained, so we got her another, oversized crate, which is big enough to put her bowl and a few of her toys in to occupy herself. We also hang one of those water bottles in there to make sure she has plenty of water, and we even leave the tv or a radio on to make her feel more at home. So long as she gets a little run into the backyard before going to sleep, Tyke doesn't seem to mind the extra time in the crate.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We try to never both go out on a weeknight. On the weekend, we just put then in their area/crate like we do when we go to work. We let them sleep with us though so they won't be crated overnight.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hershey and Gus are in their crate all day. They get a good play before dinner. We have a general rule, for every hour they are in their crate other than 9-5, they have at least an hour of high energy play/fetch/wrestle before and after. So if we go to a movie, the dogs get a few hours of play before we go and afterwards before we can go to bed. It makes for a late night for us, but they deserve to have fun too. If we are ever in a situation where we cant come home between work and dinner/night plans (it happens a couple times a month, my wife and I are in university and varsity athletes) then we pony up and kenneled Hershey at our neighbourhood pet care center. She gets a tonne of attention and play there and we pick her up the next day happy and tired (and usually dirty).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We also bought a soft sided dog crate at Tuesday Morning. It folds down to the size of a portable chair. It is sold as a travel crate for a dog up to 100 lbs and the top unzips. We use it during the day as Abbey's play pen. When she is older, and potty trained, we may crate her in it. It has room for food an toys.

I guess I won't worry about an occasional night out. We are both retired and spend most of the day with Abbey. Between her walks and play periods she is pretty tired by the evening.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
We usually go out on Friday and Saturday nights. I make sure that Charlie gets a late afternoon walk or play time. We spend at least 1/2 hour with him when we get home. He seems OK with that. He's usually ready for bed between 9 and 10 so if we're home after that, he just needs to see us for a little while before he's ready to go back to bed.

Deb

·
Registered
286 Posts
on the days that we plan on going out for the evening we are going to use doggie daycare. it's only about $20 for the day around here, and that way a few hours in the crate at night won't be in addition to all day in the crate as well.

of course, roads are paved with good intentions, i'll check back in a few months and let you know what we actually do =)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
When we have plans for a Friday or Saturday night, we use daycare. We find that even 4 hours and Tanner is ready for some serious sleeping. Maybe your daycare has a 1/2 day price or passes. We buy 20 1/2 day passes and it makes it very reasonable :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts