Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
This post is influenced by Gene and Peche (named for Depeche Mode). So how did you come up with your doodle's name?

Morgan the cat was named after Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.....my favorite drink at the time I got her.

Maya got hers because I needed an "M" name and I read that dogs learn their name faster if they end in "a"

Who's next?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
haha...cute thread

I seriously looked through dog name websites and picked my favorites. I was down to Oscar and Dexter.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Tyke was named for a border collie running buddy of mine when I was in college. The first Tyke belonged to some friends who lived in my neighborhood. She used to run with me everyday, which was a real delight, except for the times I would want to vary my route - then her herding instincts would kick in!
Tyke #1 didn't really care for anyone except her owners and me, so whenever they went off for the weekend, I got to housesit and "Tykesit".
Tyke drank 1/2 bottle of Moosehead beer before bedtime each night - don't ask me how that got started - who knows! I remember the first time I was housesitting, I opened the fridge, and there was a case of Moosehead with a note on it that said "These are Tyke's, but you may have some if it is ok with her!" After our evening run, Tyke and I would sit in the hammock on her front porch and share a Moosehead and watch the sun set!
I had such fond memories of my old running buddy, that when I decided to get a puppy, that was the only name I considered!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jonah just came to me.....I wanted a biblical name and something not to common

Miko came from tossing names back and forth with Annmarie (seems like 100 yrs ago) and she came up with Miko.

Rumor came to me on a Canadian southerly breeze.......thanks Sue!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My daughter named Sandy - she was infatuated with the movie Annie back then! And since her name is Annie it just fit ;)

Molly came to us as "Molly" and we still call her that sometimes - but her nickname took over at some point and she became Bearded Iris, or just "Iris". She's my beautiful bearded girl :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
This will no doubt sound quirky but Charlie was NOT named after the cartoon character. :D

When my daughter was pregnant with my granddaughter, we called the baby "Charlie" until the day the lovely Calista was born. Hence, the name Charlie already was a much loved name. So he is really named after my darling granddaughter.

Our last dog was Maggie. That was the name we called my son, Matthew, until we discovered he would be a boy. :D

Deb

·
Registered
337 Posts
Jett got her name because she was Jet Black.

Copper was named Copper because that is what my ds wanted to name his dog. I have never figured out why though. :shock:

·
Registered
100 Posts
We were looking for unique dog names online since our previous dog had a unique name (Zyleman) and DH saw Krychuck, but we didn't like the sound of it so we changed it to Krycheck and decided to spell it Kryczek. This was all before we found out there was a character on the X-Files by the same name :)

Plus I have heard strong "C" names are good for dogs?, and so far so good, because after having Kryczek only two weeks now, he really started responding to it well after the first week.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Great thread!
Vicky, maybe Copper came from Fox and the Hound?
I had a fabulous rescue growing up namd Jezebel. She was a cockapoo :lol: and super smart with a great temperament. I didn't want the exact same name but in honor of Jezebel I named our puppy Bella.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
We were having a hard time agreeing on anything so we went on-line to a name generator for dogs. The first click said "Friday". We continued clicking and nothing seemed to fit. We liked the idea of a name of the week so we looked back on the calandar for the day she was born, and named her Tuesday. Funny thing was, a week or 2 later we realized somehow we screwed up the day of the week.....she was born on a Friday! :shock:
She really responded well to "Tuesday" so we left it.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I wanted to name my Springer Bogie 11 years ago. I thought the name suited him but no one else did.. :roll:
So.....this time I got my way!!
Also, in that 11 years, I thought how if I had a girl I could have a Bogie and Bacall..............lol

It comes from the song Key Largo..........here's lookin' at you kid!! I don't know why, but I always liked that song and the Bogie Bacall concept.
NOOO! I'm not getting a girl yet!! hahahahha

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Great thread. Our Lani, Noelani, was born on Christmas 2005. I wanted a name that had Noel in it for Christmas such as Noella and call her Ella (my grandma's name) the kids said no. We looked through names and found a Hawaiian name, Noelani, meaning beautiful girl from heaven. Perfect for a Christmas baby, NOELani. I got my Noel and they were none the wiser! :wink:

Toby was named by my daughter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mia was the name my husband and I agreed on to name our girl child.....

Well both kids ended up being boys, so the dog got the name instead

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver was named after
"The Colorado Avalanche Hockey team" in Denver
Which is why sometimes Gene and myself refer to him as "Colorado"
Gene will try to tell you it is because he is the size of Colorado, but my hubby named him so teehee.............

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota got his name because in the Sioux Indian language, Dakota means "friend." I thought that was a sweet sentiment. As soon as we got him home he would get soooo excited he would jump on everything, including an 85 pound Rot, and he would try to use his front paws like hands. At beginner's school, he would do "flips" between commands! His instructor would call him Kangaroo, our son shortened that to "Roo." And now, we often call him Kotaroo.
Someone on this forum--Vanessa??--had a much more accurate of the Sioux translation of Dakota. My definition is ok by 'order of magnitude'!!!
Diane (and Dakota aka Kotaroo!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Scout is named after a character in the greatest book ever written "To Kill a Mockingbird".

I have always wanted to call my daughter Scout. But my fiance was less that enthusiastic at such a prospect. I kept bugging her and bugging her but was getting no where and finally realised that it was never going to eventuate, so i took the next best option and named my puppy Scout.

I had always wanted to call my dog "Wembly" after my favorite character from Fraggle Rock, but its really a boy's name and i couldn't bring myself to name a female dog 'Wembly' so that name will just have to wait 15 or so more years!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts