Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This kind of started in another thread, but since I love to hear how people named their dogs, I thought I'd start a new thread.

Farley is named for my husband's best friend in HS, Bob Farly (who at this point does not know he has a dog named after him, LOL!) I want to name our next Doodle Booker, because I am a scrapbooker! :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
My kids wrote down 2 pages of names for our dog--it took them several days. They narrowed it down to 3 boy names and 3 girls names that they all liked. THEN, I brought the puppy home and told them that the breeder had named her Bandi, but we can call her what we want, and they all cried, "WE CAN'T CHANGE HER NAME!!!" So, our dog's name is BANDI!!! :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
My dog came with his name when we adopted him..we could of changed it but decided to keep it...he was named after Jay Leno...the funny part is when we adopted him I laughed because my husbands name is Jay, and our doodles name is Leno :mrgreen:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Here is our 7 month old labradoodle named Sammy (Shes a Girl Sammy though)

She was named after my first family dog Sam, a male white standard poodle
who passed away just three years ago after 14 amazing years filling our family with love.

Sam used to go everywhere with us... he was truly the best best-friend any of us could have asked for.

Here are some pics when he was a puppy!
Playing in the snow:

Camping! I shared my tent with the amazing Sam!

We thought it would be a nice tribute to Sam by carrying his name on in a way with our Sammy...

I even put a link on Sammy's website with pics of dear Sam as a tribute:
http://sammydoodle.tripod.com/id1.html (the link is under the 3rd paragraph)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Cute story, Kelly...nice pics of Sammy one and Sammy two!

When we got our two Labradoodles, I was in law school and my husband is an attorney...so we, NATURALLY, looked through Black's Law Dictionary to find words connected to the law that have good meanings...Bayley (Old English for Bailiff) and Lexie (the Law) ... then we bought our Poodle...again the search was on for a legal name...but when he got home the first night, all he did was chase the girls around the yard...so, he became Chase!
Then we bought Rosie, our Goldendoodle...as you can tell, we gave up on legal names...Rosie has a tint of red in her coat and we had just moved from Santa Rosa...so we decided she should be Rosie...but as time went on, we called her our little "Rosarita Bean" and now she is Beanie...she answers to Beanie and Bean and Rose and Rosie...and just about anything else I say!

We have puppies and I like to let their families name them, but sometimes the names jump out and we have to name them...like our biggest boy from this litter, he was our little porker...so we called him El Carnitos! But I thought that was not nice...so now he is Nitos!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Chester's name just came to me and it somehow suited him to a tee. As for Archie, the family shot down my choice of Sherman. My husband is a cigar smoker and one of his favorites is Arturo Fuentes...we thought Artie but somehow it morphed into Archie.
However sometimes the names blend and it becomes Archer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My husband and I love our Dunkin Donuts coffee. So when it came time to name our puppy we tried to think of something we both love...and it came down to coffee...haha! We decided to name him Dunkin.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We named our dog Inez after my deceased mom ..My mom loved dogs so it was a natural fit ...But everytime we told people her name they had trouble calling a dog Inez (my mom even hated her name) ..so we played with Izzie and Nezzie and decided on Nezzie...when she is in trouble she is Inez...

Our second dog we chose Zoey because we liked the sound Nezzie and Zoey sounded cute....Now we refer to them as Zoe and Nez.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We named our dood Quinault becuase we wanted a Pacific Northwest name so he can be our memento when we move away from Seattle. We had a whole list of Northwesty names when we went to pick him up. We decided on Quinault ("Quin") after a few hours with him. It just seemed right. Another finalist was Chinook - but I realized we'd have ended up calling him "Nookie" ... :wink:

We now usually call him Quinnie and, um, Quinnie Pie :oops: He is just such a sweetie - it fits!

But back to the Northwesty aspect ... We were hiking this past weekend and someone coming the opposite direction on the trail saw Quin first and didn't see his leash and thought he was a BEAR CUB! :shock:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just read this thread - really interesting how people come up with names for their pups (and kids too for that matter).

We have a family of 6 and every one of us had a different name picked out for our female pup before we brought her home. Of course, no one could agree on one name.

As it turned out, my teenage son had a "mystery" girl friend at the time. He wouldn't tell us what her name was, so my husband started referring to her as "Sadie Love Muffin" and we were soon all calling her that. Well, when my son decided she was a keeper, he told us her real name - Jenn - so we had no "Sadie Love Muffin" anymore. - Until the new puppy came home - who is now called "Sadie", and once in a while, when she is being cute and cuddly, "Sadie Love Muffin"!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Howdy got his name because even as a new pup he was sooooo
friendly and waggy and happy to see ANYONE. We were going to name him Cowboy because he looked sort of bowlegged. But Howdydoodle was an even better fit.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota got his name because in the Sioux Indian language, Dakota means "friend." I thought that was a sweet sentiment. As soon as we got him home he would get soooo excited he would jump on everything, including an 85 pound Rot, and he would try to use his front paws like hands. At beginner's school, he would do "flips" between commands! :roll: His instructor would call him Kangaroo, our son shortened that to "Roo." And now, we frequently call him Kotaroo. Of course if we had of waited a few months to name him, he probably would have been named Tramp after "Lady and the Tramp" because Tramp is exactly what he looks like!! :lol:
Diane (and Dakota aka Kotaroo!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bruno got his name from a few places.
1. The dog in Cinderella is Named Bruno and my daughter who is 2 1/2 loves Cinderella.
2. Bruno means brown in Italian and my husbands family is Italian. He even had a Great Uncle named Bruno, but everyone called him Brownie.

We even called the family to ensure that no one would be offended if we named the dog Bruno.

He is also called Brown Dog, Big Boy, and Bruno Sanmartino (an old school TV wrestler)

Take care all!

Julie

·
Registered
228 Posts
Most of you know how Coal got his name but for those new to the board....

Coal was a Xmas present for my kids. I knew I had wanted a black labradoodle (good thing some of us like black!!) and I planned on letting the kids choose the name once he came BUT......

I started thinking how funny it would be to tease the kids (especially my 11 year old daughter) and tell them that they were getting "Coal" for Xmas. My daughter would become almost angry as everytime she added something to her Christmas list I would say, "Well, I think you are going to be getting coal this year for Christmas". She would insist she had been good that year!!! Haha

So, when I brought Coal home from the airport (I went to get him in Kansas City) I attached a tag to him from Santa that said, "I hope you don't mind getting "Coal" for Christmas". They loved the name and never questioned me about changing it at all. My mother even found a Christmas ornament that was a lump of coal with a red bow tied around it that said 2005 so the kids could remember when Coal came to live with us.

Now, like most dogs, his name has morphed into things like Coaly and Coalmeister (don't ask me where that came from). The kids adore him SO much. I know he was their best Christmas gift ever.

Sorry so long!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts