Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just taken on a Labrodoodle- he is six months-and he left his home a good sleeper in the kitchen pantry room, house trained, low shedding dog, who rarely barked and never jumped up on children. I have to say this- he was taken from his breeder with his sister, but the owner felt she couldn't handle two.

The owner liked us as I was home all day perfect for the dog and she could stay in touch, and we wanted the dog- but the deal was this, we would take him from her, and if for any reason it didn't work she would take him back.
My concern is that he is a dog who can't bear to be alone and needs to either go back (I am concerned if she couldn't take care of two a few weeks ago how would that have changed) or be homed with a family with another dog.

Since arriving here he howls through the night, for him to sleep we need to go down and soothe him, which is OKay but at most he sleeps 31/2 hours total, he used to sleep 8- he howls and barks less in a crate than out. Twice he soiled his crate. We go down to him in the night to soothe him but we can't have him in our room. By morning we are barely functioning, and I doubt my neighbour is either! At the moment this is the hardest thing to cope with.

He seems to shake and shudder in his sleep sometimes, but I don't think he's cold.

IF we move rooms he follows, if we try and leave him he howls- we were told he was happy alone for 4 hours at a time. After a week I tried leaving him so I could go to church, my dad came to my house 45 minutes after I left and he was still crying for us. He howls if I just leave the room.

His house training regressed but seems back on track. To be fair changing his diet has given his poop more substance, which is good.

He isn't really a chewer he's not destructive.

He has begun shedding a lot of hair and has a rash on the groin area- the vet prescribed Piriton and Evening Primrose Oil.

The vet has also prescribed DPA- the hormone from lactating dogs, but she said if it didn't work we would need to make some important decisions. He is a happy dog when he is with people or other dogs-he is great with other dogs. But he just can't bear being alone. We have a family down the street with a Spoodle and mostly they play well together. It's just when he is alone or thinks we are trying to ditch him or put him to bed that he is so upset.
I even sing to him at bedtime. The vet said that he thinks I am top dog in the pack, which I think is right. Someone else told us that should help him settle, but I don't think it's helped.
The vet said we have all the right toys, a good set up, it may just be that he needs a friend in the night, we love him enough to let him go to be kind but other suggestions would be helpful as it's the last thing we want to do.
We can't get a second dog- we have a very good reason for it, it's the same one as the reason he can't sleep upstairs.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not an expert here but maybe you could try sleeping next to him with your hand in the crate for a few nights then gradually move him across the room and eventually out of the room.

As far as leaving him alone, you could try leaving throughout the day and varying the amount of time you are gone. 1 min, 3 min, 10 min, 4 min etc. to let him know that every time you walk out you are always coming back. and he will never know if it will be a long time that you are gone or a short time.

We also leave our tv on for our doodles but that is mostly to keep them from hearing things out in the hallway of our condo building and barking at everyone walking by.

How long have you had him?
I think it is most important to make him feel secure that you aren't abandoning him. He probably isn't SURE that you are going to always come back. I think if you give him time he will realize that this is your home too and you will always be coming back to him.

I've also found that my dogs like hanging out in the car better than at home. They know you will be coming back sooner than later. But this doesn't really work in the summer when it's hot out.

We got our male at 3 mos and our female from the same litter at 8 mos in December. She's always been okay with us but I think in the past month or so she is really starting to realize that she's here to stay. Give him some time if you are willing to stick with him and deal w/ his problem.

Good luck!!
Sarah

G

·
For the rash: Bella had a rash as a puppy and the vet recommended washing the area with Dial soap every morning. I would wipe his belly every time he went potty with a cloth with soap on it and then wash it off with a cloth with just water. It could be a staph infection and the urine splashing up on it could make it occur there. Staph lives on the skin usually without a problem, but the stress could cause his immune system to be lower.
For the anxiety: Could someone sleep down by the crate for a few nights? I would just hang my hand into the crate and mumble 'quiet' when she would get upset. He really just needs the security of your company right now and I would venture to guess that if the previous owner did not have issues, this will pass as soon as he feels more secure. I know it is a TOTAL NIGHTMARE now, but it will get better!
If you have the time, could you get ready to leave(get keys, purse, open door, etc.), treat him, then not actually leave as many times as you can stand doing it? This will desensitize him. Then work up to leaving for very short time?
Someone else mentioned melatonin...
Hopefully someone will have some more advice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
----I think it was about 2 weeks that my dog did not sleep through the night...the deal is that I am the person who does night duty as I don't go to an office during the day. Ugh! I thought this would never end. Eventually he got the hang of the night crate and now we all get a good night's sleep. Not sure how many days in a row you have had to endure...it may take a couple weeks for him to adjust.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Welcome,

Can I ask what you changed his food from and what you are now feeding him? The shedding and the rash could be from stress but it could also be from a food allergy.

If he has always been with a littermate than this is a huge change for him - he has never ever slept alone and doesn't know how to handle it. They make dog toys that have a heartbeat and I think even the ability to heat them up. Something like this may help?

Heather

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think we might sart sleeping downstairs with him, I just hope it wont be taking a step back.

As for food and diet- the shedding began almost as soon as we put him in the car- before we changed the diet or did anything with him. The rash also appeared before the diet change and was the trigger for changing his food, the vet recomended white meat and rice based dog food to help him digest. I think this has helped his digestion but hasn't helped the rash.

I know losing his litter mate must be the hardest thing for him to bear, our vet said the trouble with the heated toys is by morning they go cold, and so if it's to replace a real dog it's almost pointless as our doodle will just feel he has been abandoned in the night.

He has a kong and toys that he loves, he has a big chew bone, he has a ticking clock tucked behind his crate to sound like a heart beat. We leave him with the TV/radio so he thinks some one is there. We go to him when he cries and stay with him until he falls asleep again.

I know this has all started since he came to us, and we feel very bad about it, we would love to keep him, but if he needs another dog, we think it's best that we know sooner rather than later for his sake, we just hope someone on here could offer some tips that will help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
coffeeaddictsam said:
I think we might sart sleeping downstairs with him, I just hope it wont be taking a step back.

As for food and diet- the shedding began almost as soon as we put him in the car- before we changed the diet or did anything with him. The rash also appeared before the diet change and was the trigger for changing his food, the vet recomended white meat and rice based dog food to help him digest. I think this has helped his digestion but hasn't helped the rash.

I know losing his litter mate must be the hardest thing for him to bear, our vet said the trouble with the heated toys is by morning they go cold, and so if it's to replace a real dog it's almost pointless as our doodle will just feel he has been abandoned in the night.

He has a kong and toys that he loves, he has a big chew bone, he has a ticking clock tucked behind his crate to sound like a heart beat. We leave him with the TV/radio so he thinks some one is there. We go to him when he cries and stay with him until he falls asleep again.

I know this has all started since he came to us, and we feel very bad about it, we would love to keep him, but if he needs another dog, we think it's best that we know sooner rather than later for his sake, we just hope someone on here could offer some tips that will help.
This is exactly what i had to do for 2 weeks, i slept on the sofa with molly in her crate and just moved the crate slowly away from the sofa each night, until she ended up where we want her, good luck!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
coffeeaddictsam......i am sure this is a trying time for all of you and i admire you hanging in there!

know what? perhaps your doodle is grieving right now as dogs do this too just like us.

not sure what will help..........is there any way at night to put the crate in your bedroom near you so a reassuring voice or hand is there to comfort him? also he's only 6mos old ...still such a puppy.

i don't know if you can take a shirt you've worn for the day and put that in the crate at night ? as it may comfort him or it may get shredded.

and the losing hair and rash can be food related and/or complicated by anxiety stress at the moment.

it can take a few weeks for your new doodle to learn to trust, bond, and settle in

Keep us posted and I really hope everything works out well.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
ditto with what Annmarie says.

It just takes time. Cacao was easy so I can't help with ideas. But everyone here will.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MaxandMe said:
coffeeaddictsam......i am sure this is a trying time for all of you and i admire you hanging in there!

know what? perhaps your doodle is grieving right now as dogs do this too just like us.

not sure what will help..........is there any way at night to put the crate in your bedroom near you so a reassuring voice or hand is there to comfort him? also he's only 6mos old ...still such a puppy.

i don't know if you can take a shirt you've worn for the day and put that in the crate at night ? as it may comfort him or it may get shredded.

and the losing hair and rash can be food related and/or complicated by anxiety stress at the moment.

it can take a few weeks for your new doodle to learn to trust, bond, and settle in

Keep us posted and I really hope everything works out well.
Thanks Annamarie- we know he is grieving- what we don't want to do is prolong an agony if he isn't going to heal, it would be kinder to intervene sooner rather than later and return him or find him a two doggy home if he wont settle.
We have introduced him to doggy friends and he enjoys them, but he can't bear being alone.
He has Kongs and stuffed toys and our worn shirts, we try practicing for jost moments at a time, but he is so nervous of us leaving that he sleeps so lightly it can't be good for him, we are giving it a month, the vet said if he isn't better in a month we need to look at making important decisions- we want to make him better, and hopefully with people's advice we will. So thank you and we will keep you posted

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think anyone has mentioned training and exercise. It might help to make sure he is getting lots of vigorous exercise off and on throughout the day to make up for all the exercise he got wrestling with the other dog. Frisbee, ball throwing, offleash hiking, play dates, obedience training (that will wear them out quickly!), teaching games and tricks for thirty minutes or so several times a day. And they love it -- these are very smart dogs and they need tons of mental and physical challenges. Ben was at least eighteen months old before he was able to spend several hours without me to entertain him.

Also, baby Kongs filled with something wonderful like natural peanut butter layered with bananas, then frozen solid, can help get him through stressful times. When Ben was a baby I always kept three of them in my freezer for those times when I was ready to pull out my hair.

As for the sleeping, that's a toughie. I like hearing Ben snoring on his bed beside ours while DH snores on the other side of me :) Ben's 2 1/2 now and sometimes gets up at night and goes downstairs on his own to sleep in a different bed (we have them all over the house), but I have never tried to leave him by himself at night.

Mary in AK

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i know alot of dog trainers will say they are just dogs and should be treated as such..

which, right or wrong strongly disagree..i treat toby as though he was
a child in our family..at first he followed me everywhere and still crys when i leave him with my mom for a few hrs..

he has learned over time that i eventually return for no more the worse..

at home..at one time he sat at my side everywhere..and now he seems to have a mind of his own..maybe just maturing as any child would?..

he started fine in the crate..but, i find that i need his companionship as he needs mine..just as the other little guy..they both sleep in bed with me..Lucky, the mini-pin next to my pillow..and Toby lays right next to me
continually keeping body contact with me..when i move over..he moves over till im about to fall off the bed :( ..anyone else have this problem or
blessing? :lol:

and this morning..i guess he got tired of me moving around trying to get away from him at night..and he layed across my legs..50 lbs is alot of weight..

what im trying to say? :? keep him close..give him what he needs in terms of security..and if he s anything like Toby..he ll venture further and further away from ur presence..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts