Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a cream colored labradoodle. My sister-in -law has one and hers weighs 35 pounds. The one I am considering looks like he could be close to that already and he is only 5 months old. Does anybody know how big they can get?

I was also wondering about the grooming on the dogs. Is there much grooming that they require?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi there,

Your sisters is probably a mini or "moyen" meaning medium. THe size is usually dicated by the size of the poodle since they vary more than the sizes of labs. While labradoodles were traditionally bred by a standard sized poodle to a lab, many breeders are now breeding to smaller poodles such as minis.

The standard poodle/lab crosses can be anywhere from 45lbs to 110lbs! It all depends on the sizes of the poodle and the lab and the sizes within their heritage. Most labradoodles average between 60 and 80 lbs I would guess.

The mini-labradoodles are smaller, I am not sure of the exact range but I would guess 20lbs to 35lbs or so? Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hello, the breeder we used says that their minis are between 35 and 45 pounds since they breed with a mini poodle not toy. They breed a smaller female lab with the mini poodle. We purchased a female standard labradoodle and the vet figures she will be 60 - 65 pounds full grown. She will be 4 months on the 25th and is about 25 pounds. The males are generally bigger. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
279 Posts
George and Gracie are 9 months old. They both weigh 62 pounds, though George is taller. The vet thinks they're at the perfect weight for their height and they haven't grown much at all in the last 6 weeks. Their mom was a blocky lab - about 65 pounds, dad was a standard poodle, about 55 pounds, but tall and lanky.

As for grooming. It depends on what type of coat your doodle has. My doods get brushed almost every night, because they love it, not because they need it, but it does keep them cleaner and reduces shedding to almost nothing. I think they're really low maintenance, but then, I used to have an old english sheepdog, so I may not really know what low maintenance is!

G

·
Our Odie is now 14 months old and weighs 90 lbs. Odie was from his parents' second litter & the breeder told us he is the biggest of all the pups from both litters. The rest all ended up being about 60-65 lbs, which is the size of both parents. Odie is extra big so there's more for us to love!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Our girls are F1s from small standard parents, one of our 2 year old females is 45 lbs the other is 65 lbs and they are siblings. They are the same height, but one is more poodly and the other more lab...the Poodly one is very trim, the Lab one is boxy and stocky like a Lab.
I have heard of Labradoodles getting over 100 lbs. Please don't count on any particular size or coat because it is much too hard to guess. You can look at both parents and get an idea, but you can be very surprised too.
Grooming depends on the coat type, as the earlier posts have indicated. F1 coats are generally shedding, but don't need a lot of grooming, short of regular brushing...the more curly the coat, the more grooming is necessary. You will need to find a good groomer or plan to do it yourself because many groomers sort of butcher the dood coat!

·
Registered
294 Posts
if a standard poodle and labrador are crossed this would be an F1 labradoodle, an F1 labradoodle crossed with a F1 labradoodle, what size would I expect my Otto to be when fully grown

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sorry, Angie...it still depends on the sizes of the parents and even into the pedigree line. It is just not possible to predict ... too many variables in Labradoodles...too many size differences in both Poodles and Labs.
Did your breeder give you any guess as to size? Sometimes that is a good indication.
Our litter has pups that I believe will be no bigger than 45-50 lbs and some that should reach near 70 lbs...but I am always surprised as they grow.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think the breeder is a beginner, and at first she said 18 inches to the shoulder, then that changed to 21 inches, sorry I only know inches

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahaha That's funny to me because I have a hard time with the inches! I think it is from floor to tops of shoulders, not head...so maybe that is why her account differs...I think that, given the 19-21 inches, you can plan on a medium sized dog. Probably between 40-60 lbs. (My girls are about that tall, one weighs 44 lbs and the other 65 lbs, but the weight difference is because one is Poodly and the other is Labby...they are sisters, but built very differently.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts