Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 7 month old F1 Labradoodle.

He is a beautiful and lovely natured dog that is friendly to everyone. I have noticed that he is not very interested in cuddling. When I am around him, he will sit near me on the ground, most of the time but not all of the time and he would never come up to be patted unless he wants something or to play with his toy. He never wants to come up on the bed or sit next to me on the couch and prefers to sleep far away in the lounge room at night.

He has been like this since he was a puppy and seems to be becoming more aloof. Also when I was really sad and crying a couple of weeks ago, he greeted me with his usual tail and bum wagging hello but then walked away as if hadn't even noticed that I was sad. Do you think that intuition comes with age or that this is just his personality?

I spend a lot of time with him doing obedience training and he learns a new trick every couple of weeks. He also gets heaps of exercise.

I love him dearly, I suppose I just got a Labradoodle because I wanted an affectionate dog. I was just wondering if this can change over time as he matures or this will be his personality? Also is there anything else I can do to bring us closer? I've read about giving treats as and trying to cuddle but that just feels like I am buying his love.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Some dogs just don't like to cuddle. My doodle isn't a cuddler. She loves to be petted but don't want to be snuggled. I think it feels too confining to her. She will climb up in bed with me but only after my husband leaves. She lays on his side of the bed and there is little to no contact.

My doodle doesn't seem aware of my emotions but she is aware when someone is sick. We hadn't had her that long when my teenage son got strep throat and I had a flu bug. I was in my bed and he was on the couch. Shadow, my doodle, was laying on the floor in my room but periodically she would get up, leave and come back. I decided to follow her on her next trip. She was going into the living room, licking my son's forehead as he slept like she was checking his temperature, and then coming back to check on me. She did this the whole time he was sleeping on the couch.

I probably have a different situation than you because my doodle was a rescue. She was severely neglected by her previous owner so we had to build trust. I just take her the way she is. She has changed over the years we have had her but I am not sure if it is due to her maturing or to her trusting her forever family.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My F1 is a total lap dog, she can't handle if she is not across my lap once we settle down for the evening or if I have been gone much during the day. My F1B is more aloof, she was past a year old before she would crawl up on my lap to snuggle and she entertains herself a lot. Meg (the F1) always works her way in between my and anyone that stands close to me or if Polly (the F1B) gets near, Polly at nearly 1 1/2 years is just starting to exhibit that trait and probably just picked it up from Meg. On the other hand, Polly has snuggled up to Meg every since the minute we put her in the car to bring her home, I have many pictures of her laying across Meg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 16 month second gen male labradoodle is very affectionate. He always sits on or by me my husband or any human present really. Sleeps in our bed and usually on me. He has to be by us even if you stand he will come lean on you. We just adopted him 2 months ago from what we can tell he came from a home that paid attention to him. He does not lick faces though which im OK with LOL. He does not seem to understand emotions however. My cat is MUCH better at that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your responses. I am new to this forum and it has been nice to connect with fellow doodle owners.

I think it seems like I have adopted a dog that has an independant streak in his personality. He is not independant in the sense that he has a decreased pack drive because he always stays close by me when we go walking and has a very good recall. He is excited when I get home and comes up to me in a bitey play way but when I start to scratch his head, he will tolerate it for a bit but doesn't seem to care if I pat him or not. And he is happy to be sitting far away from me in the house and never sleeps in my bedroom since I stopped crating him in there.

I do feel a little sad when I hear about you guys and how affectionate your dogs are. I suppose I sometimes feel like it is a one sided relationship. At times I wish I could get another dog that was more affectionate. That sounds awful and selfish. I know I need to accept him for who he is and he is still young, maybe he will change? I worry he will become more independant. Just have to wait and see.

Thanks again. Any more thoughts and stories will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just another thing. I live in a hot and humid tropical environment. About 35 degrees centigrade. It is like this daily for 6 months of the year. Do you think this affects the amount he wants to cuddle with me?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Meg, that I mentioned above, loves to be against me or across my lap until she gets too warm and then she moves to a cooler spot. Polly, who has just recently started laying up against me used to lay on the kitchen floor in the evening, not even in the same room with us. So you may be quite right on the weather being the factor there. Now I will be waiting for next summer to come around and see if Polly switches back to the cool floor.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was remembering back to when we got Shadow. When we went to the shelter to see her she didn't want anything to do with me both times we went. She was all about my boys and my husband. I figured she was a dog that just didn't like females. I was okay with that, being the only girl in the house. She could be the boys' dog. Once we got her home she started to become more and more attached to me. Now she is very much my dog. Maybe in time, your doodle will become more attached to you as well. We didn't get ours until she was a bit older than your is currently so maybe as she matures things will change. :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
My dog likes to snuggle up next to me in the cooler weather. In the summer she lays on the floor. She will only let me pet her and snuggle up to her though. There are six people in our family and she is quite cool to the rest of them. I got a second dog recently. It is a mix breed tiny dog. Love everybody and will snug up to strangers. They all have their own personalities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok cool well maybe it is the weather. It's going to be hot like this for a long time so maybe I won't really know until I move to a cooler region.

I'm just going to focus on building our relationship. He's a beautiful dog and so smart and easy to train. I should be focusing on the good bits!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I always said Malcolm was part cat. He likes to snuggle when he feels like it, otherwise he goes to the other side of the room to lay on his beds lol. He does sleep with me though and usually he sleeps right up against me.

I can get a hug or a snuggle if I beg him to come see me. But kisses are quite rare :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for your responses. I am new to this forum and it has been nice to connect with fellow doodle owners.

I think it seems like I have adopted a dog that has an independant streak in his personality. He is not independant in the sense that he has a decreased pack drive because he always stays close by me when we go walking and has a very good recall. He is excited when I get home and comes up to me in a bitey play way but when I start to scratch his head, he will tolerate it for a bit but doesn't seem to care if I pat him or not. And he is happy to be sitting far away from me in the house and never sleeps in my bedroom since I stopped crating him in there.

I do feel a little sad when I hear about you guys and how affectionate your dogs are. I suppose I sometimes feel like it is a one sided relationship. At times I wish I could get another dog that was more affectionate. That sounds awful and selfish. I know I need to accept him for who he is and he is still young, maybe he will change? I worry he will become more independant. Just have to wait and see.

Thanks again. Any more thoughts and stories will be appreciated.
Your doodle sounds exactly like my F1bb. I love her to death, but she returns no love. However she gets excited to see me if I have been gone for a couple of days, but not after few hours. I feel like I did something wrong so hearing about others helps. I have even connected with others in the litter. Some are similar independent doods and others are snuggle babies. I wonder if it has anything to do with handling during the first 8 weeks. My girl was always lazy and pushed out of the pile when nursing. The children had favoured ones they were always holding... I know this from frequent videos sent as I waited for her. I just grasp at anything to try and understand.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In fact, the Labradoodle personality is so affectionate and sociable, that they often need to be trained to mitigate their abrasive excitement for life.

·
Registered
2018, Toyota Mark X
2 Posts
My labradoodle is very affectionate. I spend many hours a day with him. He loves to play with me, and loves to get cuddle. If I compare his affection level with my older dog teacup pomeranian, I can say labradoodle is more affectionate. I am not saying teacup pomeranian wasn't loving dog, he just had a bossy attitude which is irritating sometimes. He used to sit alone when he wasn't in a mood. On the other hand, labradoodle is cool and loving, and I never had any problem with his attitude.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts