Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I am looking to build a kennel system for our puppies once they get to the stage where the whelping box is just too small. Any suggestions on a way to house the puppies indoors while keeping the kennel clean.

Our current litter was 10, so I want to build somthing that can accomodate a lot of puppies.

Thanks in advance!

Photos would be great!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
When I wean the puppies, I put 2 x-pens together and I set up their litterboxes, put a pet carrier in one corner and their toys and they have a nice, clean place to play, a place they can go do their business without rolling and playing in it and a place they can go nap (the pet carrier). It works great and stays nice and clean for when people come to visit. Here are some pics I took Tuesday of this week:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Is this what you were wanting? OR are you wanting to build like a whelping house for momma and pups?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks for these pictures. ARe those wood chips? I suddenly know what to do with my huge pile of eucalyptus chips from some downed trees! That's comical. It reminds me of a previous poodle whom someone talked me into litter box training. He dutifully climbed into the box and pooped over the sides. One day I took him to the beach, where he discovered the joys of digging sand, came home and emptied his litter box all over the kitchen. End of litterbox!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I use the trays from wire kennels (you can use underbed storage containers also), I've used both, I then lay wee wee pads on the bottom and then pine bark nuggets on top of that. Most litters automatically go to them. I start them on this when I start taking momma away from them and by the time momma is taken away, they are using this exclusively. Makes life so much easier and keeps the puppies clean and dry. Make sure you don't get the pine mulch, you want the pine bark nuggets.

·
Registered
483 Posts
That's a great idea. I'd imagine that dogs might be a bit like horses, who will Always go potty in the soft shavings, rather than have stuff splashing onto their legs from the hard ground. The litterbox is a good idea. Does it also get the concept of housebreaking underway in their minds? It does seem to indicate some selectiveness in choosing the right spot.

I don't think I'll need to buy pine bark, unless anyone knows of widespread eucalyptus allergies. I have a Huge pile of eucalyptus chips that ought to be perfect. I guess the pups are large enough to climb in and out of the under bed boxes by this time? Whoops, do the wood chips need to be sterile?

I have No idea what to expect a newborn puppy to weigh. Will be fun to find out. The whelping video had a first pup born at 6 ounces and the very next sibling, 12 ounces, was a bit more challenging.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Deb, the pups can have quite a variance in weight when born just like the video says. The important thing is to weight the puppies everyday to make sure there isn't one that isn't gaining. At that age, that is about the only way you can spot a problem immediately and get on top of it.

The chips do not have to be sterile. You just don't want them treated with any chemicals. I don't know any problems with eucalyptus bark, you might go to the veterinary website that Jac recommends all the time and ask that question. If you can't find it let me know and I will get the link for you. Or just ask your vet :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts