Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys handle the morning potty routine? This morning my husband took 5-month old Archie out in the back yard and he tinkled, no problem. He waited to see if he needed to poop, too, but Archie wanted to go back in. By the time hubby could pour a cup of coffee, Archie had pooped in the living room. :oops:

Usually what we do is go outside as soon as we get up, then have a cup of coffee, then go for a nice walk during which Archie does his big business.

We are so frustrated particularly in the mornings because we definitely need a cup of coffee, then we're happy to go for a walk. How do you experts handle this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Vicky,

In my experience, it always takes them a bit longer to do their big business (as in, they can pee as soon as they're outside on the grass, pooping requires some more time and exploration).

However, taking them outside does start the "poop process" - as in your dog knows he's going to eliminate soon. Apparently this morning he didn't have enough time to explore and find the perfect spot before he was interupted, but in the meantime he already had to go.

I would recommend not to take him out before the coffee. If he's at all housebroken, he should hold everything in for the 15-30 minutes before you take him out.

If you do take him out before, you should give him enough time to do everything...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Vicki,

I am FAR FAR from an expert but I'll tell you what is working for me. Maybe you already do this in which case this will not be helpful but here goes:

From the day we brought Coal home we always put him on a leash to go outside. We also stand in one area, no walking around, no playing, and say, "Potty, Coal". This way he knows that outside on a leash in his potty area means he is expected to do his "business". If it is daytime and he seems like he want to stay outside, as soon as he potties, I let him off of the leash. Coal seems to want to get all his "business" done quickly while on that leash. Sometimes he will try to go back in the door but if I think he may still need to poop, I just stand in that spot for a few seconds longer and wouldn't you know, he gets it done. Coal always goes poop on the first trip outside in the morning.

Good luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey there! I agree with Michael... I would try to have a cup of coffee before you take him out at all. If Archie can't hold it, I would just suffer through 10 minutes without that caffeine fix (I understand- I need it too in the morning). We give poop and pee a different name- maybe that will help him understand what you want him to do. I tell Summer "go potty" when I want her to pee, and "go poops" when I want her to poop. Of course, it doesn't work if they really don't need to poop, but it helps get Summer focused! But I would definately get him to go poop and pee in the same trip in the morning... whether its before or after coffee. Good luck!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
183 Posts
You could get one of those coffee pots with a timer and set it to make the coffee before you get up--and then take a cup with you when you take the dog out. I'm a morning coffee person also, and I often take a cup when I go out in the am with Fred--using a travel mug cuts down on spills. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts