Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Murphy is now six and a half months old and has not had an accident in the house in close to 4 months. However, this past weekend we had our friends over with their dog and for some reason Murphy peed three times in the house while their dog was visiting. We thought it might be because he wanted to cover up the other dogs scent, and sort of dismissed it. Then, last night he peed twice again, and one time ON OUR BED!!!! I was standing there watching him, he started doing his digging routine our our comforter, then just peed while looking right at me. I couldn't believe it, this is not like him at all...the only other thing I can think of that could cause this problem is that he was neutered one week ago, maybe he is having some complications, or has an infection? He doesn't appear to be in any pain...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
when my little dog was neutered a few months ago he peed a million times a day for about two weeks. we had quite a few accidents. he would even pee when nothing would come out. this may or may not be what your baby is doing, but I thought I would share in case it is. It seems that the swelling inside was pushing on his bladder and making him think he had to go. For the next week you may have to take your doggy out about a million times more than usual.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
We thought that might be the case initially, but he doesn't have any accidents in his crate when he's in there for the night, or for the 4 hours that I'm gone at work in the morning...

·
Registered
853 Posts
It sounds to me like he is marking his territory and felt "threatened" by the other dog. Perhaps since he just got neutered, he still has plenty of testosterone left in his body and the situation will improve when the testosterone lessens. Perhaps he will do this again if another dog comes into the house, though, but maybe not if his testosterone levels are lower. That's just my two cents. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I have been reading that when they are marking their territory they typically just go small amounts, but Murphy seems to be emptying his bladder when he goes in the house. Do you think that marking could still be the explanation?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Well, I'm not sure. Maybe a call to the vet is in order. Perhaps it could be a medical side effect from the neutering :?: :?

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
We took Murphy to the vet last night to have his stitches out from the neutering...we asked her about the peeing issue. She said there appears to be no medical reason for it, it could potentially be regression, however, she then said, "I hate to tell you this, but your dog is VERY smart, and most likely was peeing in retaliation for something, potentially, the neutering!!!" I couldn't believe it, I laughed right outloud!

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Boyd did a similar thing around 6 months. We gave him a comforter to lay on in the den and he would do the whole scratching routine every night and then rest/sleep on it while we were watching TV. Then one night out of the blue he scratched it, looked right at us, and peed all over it!!!!

He hasn't done anything since but I understand your concern/frustration. You want to be able to trust these little guys and just when you feel like you're reaching the next level they do something to set it back a little. :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts