Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Labradoodle is nearly 5 months old. He's well crate trained, but we'd like to leave him in a large tile floor confined room for several hours at a time, but he can't hold it. When can we expect Magic to be totally house trained? He's really smart and has learned the basic commands, including 'heel'. I'd love any and all suggestions.
Ann and Otis

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We had occasional accidents with Dexter until he was 5-6 months (his last accident was at chrismtas time). He holds it all day now. I heard they can hold it 1 hr for every month they are old. Don't know if that helps. We leave Dex in the basement while we're at work and he's fine w/holding it (knock on wood).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leslie- How many hours are you away that Dexter can hold it in the basement? Does someone come in at noon to walk him? I tell you, we're having so much fun with this labradoodle!
Ann

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Welcome Ann and Otis....doodles are a wonderful thing! I'm still having potty issues with my little 7 month old(tomorrow) rescue doodle. I'm trying to learn her "schedule", she's fine at night and in her crate during the day....it's just when I'm home.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok Max was fully housetrained(then 7mos) till we brought Peanut home. I do find i have to walk them both more often now espeically after they play hard for even 15min or so, we have company come over or kids friends visit, they eat, cat nap ....max is back on track(8mos old) but peanut is 15wks old and if she isn't watched.... there's puddle onthe tile floors streaming down the grout :roll: She can hold it 7 to 9 hours thru the night.

But like gene its the daytime that gives us a struggle. Peanut can pee 2 times outside even poop. and bring her in and she can go again :shock: i am sure this will be conquered soon :D

Welcome Ann and Otis....you are not alone

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Annmarie- You have 2 labradoodles, you brave souls?! I guess it's just a matter of time with this housetraining. I'm not so stressed after talking to people on this site. Where are you located, I'm thinking of weather. we're in Los Angeles area so Magic can be walked anytime and it's pleasant outdoors. do you take your pups to training/socialization/agility classes? I'm going to begin soon.
Ann

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Ann, I too have 2. Besides my 7mo F1B, Miko, I have a F1, Jonah who will be 1yo on April 2nd. Twice the joy!! :lol: Jonah was completely housebroken before Miko. He only has a "poop" experience once in a while when I'm gone and he was stubborn at wouldn't go before I left for work. When i first got Miko a month ago, he had a pee accident a few times, I believe mostly from excitement....Now if I can only learn her signs....patience is what it's all about! :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gene- Same here, Magic is fine thru the night, but not so fine when we're up. We can leave a door open when we're home and he goes out at will. throuble is the 3 cats like to go out, too and we don't want them to because of cars. we'll eventually get a dog door, but need to see how big Magic will be.
Ann

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ann..hang in there!!! many of us are either in the same boat or used the same paddles :wink:

Max is a F1 labradoodle and peanut a 15wk old F1goldendoodle. Max was breeze to housetrain compared to peanut hahahahha

anyway,i look at them like when my kids were small.each one developed at diiferent times depending on their personality. same with doodles.
you'll also find many of here are quite honest in sharing the real truth hahahaha like this post for instance.

brave souls having 2 doodles? Ann, i'd call it completely nuts and total doodleaholic. :wink:

we hve good day and then "trying" days to put is simply.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bailey was mostly easy. She was 9 weeks old when I got her and she's been able to sleep through the night (on my bed) since Day 1. She used to have accidents when I was at work when she was in a gated area of my house, but I switched her to a kennel at 4 months, and she never has accidents in there.

She did go through a phase where no matter how long I walked her, she wouldn't poop, and within 5 minutes of bringing her in, she'd sneak away and poop on the stairs... She got over that, thankfully.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi Ann,

Honestly, we're away for about 9 hrs most days. Until very recently we had been going home every day at lunch (so he was holding it for 4-5 hrs). It seems that once we allowed him to have the entire basement (he had been confined to a smaller space) he has been much better about being alone. When we're home he asks to go out ever 2-3 hrs but we know he can hold it for 10+ hrs.

Hang in there...it seemed to me that 6-7 months was really the turning point.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Welcome Ann,

I have a 15 week old Labradoodle. We have been going to puppy socialization class since he was eight weeks old and it has been wonderful for Dante. He has learned how to play nicely with other dogs (and it wears him out!) Once we reach four months we will start formal obedience and probably some puppy agility this summer. I hope to take him through a therapy dog program so we can go visit children in hospitals with him.

We actually went a whole week with no potty accidents in the house but then he had an accident yesterday evening. It was realy windy out and I don't think he full emptied his bladder in his hurry to get back in.

Heather

1 - 12 of 12 Posts