Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned before how Moses has separation anxiety when I get out of sight. So I purchased an xl dog crate and have tried many times to get him accustomed to it with no success.

Yesterday when we went to a hotel for a family birthday party, there was just no choice but to stick him in it and hope for the best. If he's left alone in the house he will tear curtains off the windows, the curtain rods off the wall, will knock everything off any flat surface, etc.

So we were gone several hours, came home and found him running lose in the house and nothing destroyed except the door on the crate! He somehow managed to bend it out and squeeze his big butt through while bending the main lock. This is a brand new crate... I bought it at the local farm and home store with the understanding that it was intended to hold in an extra large very strong dog. I don't consider Moses terribly powerful... I've had rottweilers and german shepherds that would make him look like a "girly boy" in comparison.

So WHY didn't the crate hold him?
Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Moses is one tough guy! Maybe he expended all his energy just trying to escape and was too tired to destroy anything else. :D

Our neighbor's dog pushed the tray out of his crate and walked around the house IN the crate ripping down curtains and destroying anything he could reach through the bars. :roll:

I guess not every dog is good in a crate.

Deb

G

·
DebBrown said:
Our neighbor's dog pushed the tray out of his crate and walked around the house IN the crate ripping down curtains and destroying anything he could reach through the bars. :roll:

Deb
Deb, this is a very funny visual! Smart dog! :lol:

Tink, I feel so bad! But he did not destroy anything else, that's good! Do you leave the TV on for him? I just started to do that for Bella, so far so good!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
DebBrown said:

Deb
OMG that must have been a site. The kids lab, Macy ate the bottom out of her crate when she was a pup, so much for the "heavy duty" plastic crate bottoms

Tink sorry to hear Moses has such bad sep anxiety - does he not do well with the pups or other doggies around?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mary, Moses figures the house is HIS territory. He prefers to have NO other dogs inside but will tolerate them if they don't touch him or his favorite toys. I am able to put the others out in the big run, but if I put him in there with them unsupervised, I'm afraid someone would end up getting hurt.

He just wants to be indoors with me alone. And now that it's so beastly cold, I can't leave him out all day long since he IS a house dog most of the time and wouldn't handle that cold for that long with his indoor coat. It was about 15 degrees while I was gone, so that's pretty cold when they're not used to it.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
LOL Gene, sounds like Macy & Jonah were sharing notes :wink:

Aww poor Moses, he does have it bad,our Lab Brandy got bad when she was about 8 or so, but only when it stormed, she pulled curtains down one day, never put them back up and we had to keep closed door closed or she would pull our clothes off hanger and lay on them, we just left the bedroom shades down so it was dark and put toys on the bed and she did better

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow, I have to say I've never heard of a dog busting out of his crate like that (or pushing out the tray and walking around the house in the crate, what a funny visual). Was it plastic or metal?

Pixie has climbed over the top of the X-Pen a few times (mental note, need to get rid of that), but she seems content in her crate.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Our neighbor's dog pushed the tray out of his crate and walked around the house IN the crate ripping down curtains and destroying anything he could reach through the bars.

OMG - I would love to see a video of that!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
kumo still loves his crate too -- and he's almost 2 years old! by about 10 or 10:30pm he takes himself to his crate to go to bed. we leave the crate door open at night, and he alternates between sleeping in there and on his dog bed.

-em

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Wow, there are some wild stories out there. I just can't imagine a dog being so determined to destroy a house with a crate on his back! I'm not letting Cali see this because she still likes her crate. Bribery is great, she gets a treat each time she goes in there.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've left the door open and his absolute favorite toy in the world laying in his crate since Sunday and Moses hasn't even bothered to reach in and take it out. He HATES that crate. We have to physically force him into it to get him in at all. I think it's time to retire the thing since it's obviously not working and I've tried for a year to get him to accept it. :(

He won't go into a dog house either, so I hate putting him outside when I go away for more than a few minutes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts