Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog (Otis) is just over 6 months old and we live in central NH. So, we're just starting to get some warm weather right now. He's black and has a fleece coat, which we are keeping shaved pretty close right now. However, if we're outside (even sitting around...not necessarily playing or hiking), he will get really hot in a short period of time. I provide him with plenty of water and our backyard has many shaded spots. Any advice on how often I should bring him inside for a "cool down" nap?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I would try hosing him down when you're outside...it really seems to help them stay cooler if they are wet. This morning I had to come back in with ours after 20 minutes - I thought Kirby was going to have heat stroke he was panting so hard :shock:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I am with Leslie just hosing them off helps here. I also let the doodles run thur the sprinkler when I water the flowers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If your dog will tolerate it - you might try taking an old white cotton T shirt soaking it in cold water and putting it on them. I haven't tried it but was told it is great at helping keep a black dog cooler

Heather

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I never thought about hosing them down... we hang out a lot in out backyard, the dogs get hot before we do... we have been bringing a BIG FAN out, and putting it down for the dogs... THEY LOVE IT!!! Both lay right in front of it... seems to work...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max and Peanut are getting hosed down 2 times a day and
well it's 87 degrees at 7pm , wondering if one more time today?

they love it, i keep a floor fan on inside house and they end up cooling and drying off in front of it while napping soundly

·
Registered
150 Posts
Show them the door. They have enough sense, they'll gladly come inside if they are too hot. It was about 98 degrees here today and both of my dogs were more than happy to stay inside and chill, as it were.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky runs away from a hose unless he wants to drink from it. In this hot weather he mostly stays inside enjoying the air conditioning! Today it was 98 degrees F. in upstate South Carolina, with 99 predicted for tomorrow! Normal would be 83 degrees at this time of year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts